Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Whisky  (Read 16284 times)
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, July 2, 2019, 19:12:47 »

Talking of whiskey can anyone who knows about such matters suggest a special bottle/brand in the c.£200 sort of price bracket, FiL done a load of work on the house for us and want to get him something special as a thank you and he likes his scotch (don't think he will touch Irish!).

Do you have any idea what sort of thing he likes? Peaty? Sherry cask, that sort of thing?

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2019, 08:23:36 »

Do you have any idea what sort of thing he likes? Peaty? Sherry cask, that sort of thing?

I will make some subtle enquiries....
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, July 3, 2019, 08:53:47 »

I will make some subtle enquiries....

Cool.  Then I might be able to help.  :-)

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Saturday, July 13, 2019, 19:06:45 »

Was just having a whisky so thought I'd bring it up, naturally I searched to see if we have done this before, as you can see we have.

Just wanted to give a shout out to Whits who actually contributed to this just over 10 years ago. x

Anyway, I love it.  I'm a scotch man, really love the peaty stuff, current favourite is Laphroaig Four Oak which, unfortunately, is usually only available in duty free unless you buy it online for 65 quid, which I can't justify.

Other favourites are Lagavulin 16 and Ardbeg 10.

Any other fans out there?  What are you drinking at the moment if so?

So that delicious bottle is now dry and as suggested I've tried the Aldi offering.  OK it's not sensational, I'm not expecting it to be but for less than £18 I really don't think you can go wrong.

I could get 3 bottles for the price of the Laphroaig I love so much and, of course, it isn't as good, but for three times the amount of whisky that is about 80% as good is just good economic sense.

it has a decent peaty nose and mouth with a kind of burned toffee that you often get. Certainly has that element of TCPness that you get with a more peaty whisky, which I like.  Compared to similarly priced whiskys this is it for me.

To be clear this is the green label Glen Marnoch Islay offering, I'm going to buy more.  
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 13, 2019, 19:10:44 by Kinky Tom » Logged
Pete

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Saturday, July 13, 2019, 22:31:40 »

So that delicious bottle is now dry and as suggested I've tried the Aldi offering.  OK it's not sensational, I'm not expecting it to be but for less than £18 I really don't think you can go wrong.

I could get 3 bottles for the price of the Laphroaig I love so much and, of course, it isn't as good, but for three times the amount of whisky that is about 80% as good is just good economic sense.

it has a decent peaty nose and mouth with a kind of burned toffee that you often get. Certainly has that element of TCPness that you get with a more peaty whisky, which I like.  Compared to similarly priced whiskys this is it for me.

To be clear this is the green label Glen Marnoch Islay offering, I'm going to buy more.  

I'll have to try that one. So far I've tried the Speyside and the Highland. They were nice, not the best single malts I've had, but for the price of a cheap blended I'm not complaining. The limited reserve for £2.50 more looks interesting too.

Cheers

https://www.aldi.co.uk/c/spirits/Whisky
« Last Edit: Saturday, July 13, 2019, 22:37:51 by Pete » Logged
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #50 on: Thursday, February 27, 2020, 18:42:58 »

I'm not a huge whisky drinker, but I've just cracked open a bottle of Jura 10 and it's absolutely beautiful.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Thursday, February 27, 2020, 19:41:21 »

I'm not a huge whisky drinker, but I've just cracked open a bottle of Jura 10 and it's absolutely beautiful.

Give the Glenlivet 12 a go. Lovely jubbly Smiley

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
skiptotheLouMacari

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Thursday, February 27, 2020, 20:30:32 »

I love the idea of a good quality whisky but the after effects knock me for 6, serious heart burn being the least dramatic or the most tolerant characteristic. I have an ex colleague who's brother worked for (excuse the spelling) Brochladdie and gave me as payment for a job, a decent size syphoned off bottle. Prior to moving cask, it was rocket fuel and put me on my arse. I think I like the peaty ones Laphroaig etc even have a limited edition Ben Raich but my bottles are all still on the shelf unopened as I don't think I can drink it anymore.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Thursday, February 27, 2020, 20:39:15 »

I love the idea of a good quality whisky but the after effects knock me for 6, serious heart burn being the least dramatic or the most tolerant characteristic. I have an ex colleague who's brother worked for (excuse the spelling) Brochladdie and gave me as payment for a job, a decent size syphoned off bottle. Prior to moving cask, it was rocket fuel and put me on my arse. I think I like the peaty ones Laphroaig etc even have a limited edition Ben Raich but my bottles are all still on the shelf unopened as I don't think I can drink it anymore.

Can help You out there if you're struggling .............)

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Thursday, February 27, 2020, 22:36:55 »

Can help You out there if you're struggling .............)

#metoo
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 00:39:38 »

I have spent hours upon hours recently watching a YouTube channel about whisk(e)y.

The Whisky Tribe.  I've been properly geeking out.
Richie Wellen-Dowd

« Reply #56 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 15:55:35 »

Give the Glenlivet 12 a go. Lovely jubbly Smiley

That's in the same sort of area of the old whisky chart as the Jura 10. Will give it a go if I see it, cheers.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 16:13:33 »

I think i've said before, my old man easily had upwards of £500 worth of wiskey in the house before he passed 3 1/2 years ago. And every drop is still there because no one else in the family like it.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 17:05:34 »

That's in the same sort of area of the old whisky chart as the Jura 10. Will give it a go if I see it, cheers.

Which is why I recommended it  Wink
I think i've said before, my old man easily had upwards of £500 worth of wiskey in the house before he passed 3 1/2 years ago. And every drop is still there because no one else in the family like it.

That's a shame Chubbs. It's worth just quaffing or inhaling some and coating the mouth with a taste. Just a tot can last me a couple of hours as I enjoy the aroma more than the taste sometimes.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Friday, February 28, 2020, 18:04:44 »

All over to your place for the promotion party then !!.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: