Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wolfsburg  (Read 5331 times)
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 21:18:32 »

Newcastle got relegated, which saves it a bit.

The efforts of the bottom 5 on sunday were fairly pitiful (apart from maybe WBA).

Agree with Reg that something has to be done about the cup competitions. The FA needs to get some balls and give a Champions League place to the FA Cup, Platini has already given the go ahead.

So we can win it and not be allowed to enter again!
Spencer_White

« Reply #31 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 21:23:50 »

League Cup. FA Cup. UEFA Cup. Inter Cities Fairs Cup. European Cup.

www.wikipedia.org

Grin
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 21:54:45 »

Yes, which is what used to be so much more interesting about our league, and probably what allowed the PL to become so popular at the start - it, and the FA Cup still trade off past romances.  Italy is a little more open I think.

Italy more open? Inter have won the last 4 and previous to that Milan and Juventus shared the previous 4 titles.  So dominated by 3 teams in the past 8/9 years, I fail to see how that is remotely open.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday, May 26, 2009, 22:43:48 »

I said a little more open - a few more teams challenge around the edges (Roma, Lazio, Fiorentina, Sampdoria) - 5 teams having won the league in the past 10 seasons.  Still not "open", but enough teams to keep it interesting, at least until now as TV money begins to rule there as well.  There are always teams in dominance in leagues, it's about having the prospect than in any given season a team can break into the top group.  Unless huge money (Chelsea) comes a teams way, ours has been pretty set in stone for the past decade, with 3 winners in 14 years.  Check out the top 3 from about 95 backwards, and even with Liverpool winning more often than not, the variety was huge.  It is that variety which allowed the PL to come along and squeeze it.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 10:34:24 »

Champions League money has had a very negative effect on diversity, particularly in England...where perhaps Everton have had a single entry outside of the usuals in recent years. Worst hit though seems to be France....mercifully Lyon wont win the title this year, but have done for about the last 7.

Before this the French league was wonderfully open with the likes of small town clubs Auxerre, St Etienne, and Lens, all winning. Nantes, although big picking up a couple.

Lyon could achieve this because regular CL football meant money for players....who are then snapped up by the likes of Chelsea on vast transfer fees.

Rich Pullen

« Reply #35 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 10:45:09 »

Lyon had, indeed, won the French titles 7 times in a row.

Q: How many French titles have Lyon won overall since officially forming in 1950?

A: 7 Cheesy New money!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 10:51:49 »

Lyon had, indeed, won the French titles 7 times in a row.

Q: How many French titles have Lyon won overall since officially forming in 1950?

A: 7 Cheesy New money!

Whatever happened to Stade de Reims?  Ah Raymond Kopa and Juste Fontaine *sigh*
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 10:53:58 »

Whatever happened to Stade de Reims?  Ah Raymond Kopa and Juste Fontaine *sigh*

That'd be Champagne football then Reg ?

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Rich Pullen

« Reply #38 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 10:55:24 »

A midtable Ligue 2 team... Not too bad since their 50's/60's hayday.
Gelbfüßler

Was gücksch?

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 11:08:21 »

As much as it is good to see a different team win the league, it's a little bit annoying for such an absolutely nothing club to be the one who wins it (at least it wasn't Hoffenheim I suppose).

This is a club who a couple of seasons ago used to often get gates of under 15,000. Yet on Saturday there were 30,000 in the ground and 100,000 in the main square watching on a giant screen. A club from a town that was 'invented' by the Nazis in the 30's, a town with, like the club, no history or anything about it whatsoever.

Or maybe I'm just bitter that KSC went down despite winning 4-0, all because the referee in Cottbus was a total idiot.

Wir lassen uns unsere Liebe nicht nehmen
Nicht von den Bullen und nicht vom DFB
Rich Pullen

« Reply #40 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 11:21:39 »

Harsh. Just because they haven't won a title before or even been a mainstay in the Bundesliga doesn't mean they have a history. Why can't a small team win the top flight? 

Either way, Armin Veh will struggle with them next season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 11:22:41 »

As much as it is good to see a different team win the league, it's a little bit annoying for such an absolutely nothing club to be the one who wins it (at least it wasn't Hoffenheim I suppose).

This is a club who a couple of seasons ago used to often get gates of under 15,000. Yet on Saturday there were 30,000 in the ground and 100,000 in the main square watching on a giant screen. A club from a town that was 'invented' by the Nazis in the 30's, a town with, like the club, no history or anything about it whatsoever.

Or maybe I'm just bitter that KSC went down despite winning 4-0, all because the referee in Cottbus was a total idiot.

I think you may be bitter...no German side has much history the way we'd understand it.

Professional football, ie The Bundesliga was only formed after I first started watching STFC...previous to this it was a mainly amateur game, run by the Nazis with Jews and Communists banned from playing.  I guess they thought gays wouldn't want to play, so never bothered banning them.
Gelbfüßler

Was gücksch?

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 11:37:23 »

Harsh. Just because they haven't won a title before or even been a mainstay in the Bundesliga doesn't mean they have a history. Why can't a small team win the top flight? 

Either way, Armin Veh will struggle with them next season.

It's not a case of them being a small team or having not won a title before, it's a case of them being a completely nothing team from a completely nothing town with completely nothing fans.

But yes, I don't think they'll qualify for the Champions League again soon, Schalke might though!

Gelbfüßler

Was gücksch?

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday, May 27, 2009, 11:52:26 »

I think you may be bitter...no German side has much history the way we'd understand it.

Professional football, ie The Bundesliga was only formed after I first started watching STFC...previous to this it was a mainly amateur game, run by the Nazis with Jews and Communists banned from playing.  I guess they thought gays wouldn't want to play, so never bothered banning them.

Do you need to have a professional national league to have history? There were still national champions before the Bundesliga, which I don't think is too unfair to count as titles.

There is a good chance I am just bitter though. At least St. Pauli away should be fun next year.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: