Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The County Ground - Old Photos  (Read 241142 times)
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: Monday, August 26, 2013, 16:21:16 »

Same as close to the away supporters fence

Either that or the bank - weather dependant

I stood around there too.
Some of my best STFC memories come from standing in the Shrivvy Road Stand.

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: Monday, August 26, 2013, 16:22:21 »

:Ride On Fatbury's Lovestick:What was the thinking behind stopping the arkells so abruptly? And the mish-mash of seat colours?

Not sure why stopped as did but colours were different sections/different prices
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #92 on: Monday, August 26, 2013, 16:26:54 »

:Ride On Fatbury's Lovestick:What was the thinking behind stopping the arkells so abruptly? And the mish-mash of seat colours?

Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: Monday, August 26, 2013, 16:29:02 »

Pahaha please tell me that's photoshopped. That's not a billion miles away from the 'build a wall around it' logic.

Things get better but they never get good
le god cuervo

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: Monday, August 26, 2013, 16:39:02 »

It was built behind the old North Stand, and then the roof taken away. Which when finished looked like this...

leefer

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: Monday, August 26, 2013, 19:04:55 »

I found some more old County Ground pictures recently and thought I would post them up, as the ground redevelopment seems to be one of the hot topics at the moment...

Aerial view from the early 1920s
The football and cricket grounds can bee seen towards the back of the photo. The cricket pavilion is visible towards the top left. The North Stand was the only covered area of terracing. Anyone know what those buildings/sheds were at the top of the picture?

Aerial view from 1938
This is after the Town End had been built, and another small stand on the South side.

It's quite poor that not much has been done to either stand behind the goal for nearly 70/80-odd years (with the exception of adding seats) - does anyone know if the terracing has ever been re-laid, or does this date back to the original build?

That 1938 photo is actually cropped from a larger photo that shows the whole of Old Town and the surrounding area...

...including the old town railway line and station arching across the bottom of the image. Think there were a few people on here discussing the old railways a while back? You can also kind of see the line that went out through Stratton and off to Highworth in the top right of the picture. I think the small white building at the top of the picture (with chimney) is the Arkells brewery? This is probably for another thread though!

Last one is an image of the back of the old Shrivenham Road stand, taken in 1972 during construction of the Magic Roundabout...

Brilliant.

Good stuff that.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: Monday, August 26, 2013, 20:25:02 »

The exits from the top tier of the Shrivvie Road stand (in the last pic) look like very thin t-rex's. Think I'm spending too much time with my nephew.
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 21:15:13 »

North Stand in april 67

« Last Edit: Friday, September 20, 2013, 06:34:27 by @mwooly63 » Logged
Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 21:27:37 »

What is the park that appears bottom left - looks to be around the Euclid St area ?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #99 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 21:44:21 »

That bit of grass is still there I think, behind halfords
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #100 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 21:52:00 »

That bit of grass is still there I think, behind halfords

I don't believe so. You may be thinking of Spring Gardens. The site in the photo is in Euclid Street where the Civic Offices are now.  You can clearly see Euclid Street School which is directly opposite the Civic Offices. I don't know what that piece of land was called before the Civic Offices were built though.
Gnasher

Prefers animals to people (in a non sexual way)

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 21:56:40 »

I don't believe so. You may be thinking of Spring Gardens. The site in the photo is in Euclid Street where the Civic Offices are now.  You can clearly see Euclid Street School which is directly opposite the Civic Offices. I don't know what that piece of land was called before the Civic Offices were built though.

There is a park/playing field behind Halfords.

Cats are better than dogs FACT
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 21:58:25 »

Is that Garrads factory  between the greenery and the CG?
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #103 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 22:03:20 »

There is a park/playing field behind Halfords.

Yes, that's the old Spring Gardens. The bigger green area in Euclid Street is the site of the Civic Offices.
Sir Pissalot

« Reply #104 on: Thursday, September 19, 2013, 22:06:13 »

Is that Garrads factory  between the greenery and the CG?

Yes, it is.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: