Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 15   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The County Ground - Old Photos  (Read 241146 times)
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 13:54:52 »

Is it also true that our scoreboard was acquired from Wembley, and we were the first league club to have floodlights ? I've always believed this so will be a bit disappointed if not.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 14:02:35 »

The addition of floodlights in 1951 at a cost of £350, gave Swindon the honour of being the first League club to do so. These were first tried out v Bristol City on 2 April 1951 beating Arsenal by six months. These original set of lights were supplemented by lights on both side stand roofs, which were sufficient for the County Ground to stage its first floodlit league match on 29 February 1956 v Millwall. (7 days after Fratton Park became the 1st ground to stage a floodlit league fixture). The present pylons date from 1960.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 14:02:48 »

Is it also true that our scoreboard was acquired from Wembley, and we were the first league club to have floodlights ? I've always believed this so will be a bit disappointed if not.

For some reason, I think the scoreboard came from Reading...SY will know he's the scoreboard expert  Smiley   We were indeed the first league club to install floodlights, although there had been a long history of trials and exhibition matches dating back to the 19th century, at other places.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 14:06:02 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 14:05:00 »

I was under the impression that the scoreboard came from Reading too.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 14:08:23 »

Well after some research it appears it was indeed from Wembley but not the one we have now.....

Updated Sunday, 24th April 2005

Swindon Town RSS Feed

Saturday's win over Tranmere was the first chance for most fans to see the new score board.
The old score board hasn't worked properly for over 10 years, and last worked for a few games around 5 years ago.

This was replaced by with an old information board from Wembley stadium a few years ago, but these didn't last long before they stopped working.

Now the Supporters Club have paid over £8,000 to have a brand new colour score board fitted at the Stratton Bank end of the County Ground next to the clock. The new board is bigger than the last boards, and was working for the first time against Tranmere.

Town purchased a scoreboard from the old Wembley Stadium and after preparation work finished yesterday, the new board was put into place at the top of the Stratton Bank stand.

The Club have been without a functioning scoreboard since the season 2000-2001 and Town now have a piece of Wembley history at The County Ground

http://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10341~348335,00.html
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 14:12:39 by JJEdmunds » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Notts red

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 14:13:20 »

Well after some research it appears it was indeed from Wembley but not the one we have now.....

I'm glad I wasn't too far out with the scoreboard story, I'll get the story correct for the next time I reminisce with my lads, or I'll just let them think it is from Wembley like I always have. Smiley Thank you for the link though, interesting stuff.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 14:15:31 by Notts red » Logged
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 15:09:02 »

The current scoreboard used to have readings sponsor on it didn't it? Kyocera? Or have I imagined that?

Things get better but they never get good
Benzel

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 15:34:34 »

The current scoreboard used to have readings sponsor on it didn't it? Kyocera? Or have I imagined that?

Yeah it did, if you look closely you can still see it underneath whatever they've put over the top of it.

Noticed some different red seats in the front row of the Stratton Bank recently too.

Is your cat making too much noise all the time?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #68 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 16:47:40 »

Does anyone know where the roof structure for the town end is from?

I'm finding this discussion rather riveting.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 17:46:51 »

Does anyone know where the roof structure for the town end is from?

I'm finding this discussion rather riveting.

This stuff is the nuts and bolts of fan's lives....
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #70 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 17:51:10 »

This stuff is the nuts and bolts of fan's lives....

Most of us lead sheltered lives.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 21:58:31 »

It better not be from Reading....I will hit the roof!

Clems Army!
The Grim Reaper

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: Tuesday, August 14, 2012, 11:20:38 »

I'm assuming The County Ground redevelopment will see the scoreboard replaced? In terms of modern day scoreboards it's a bit of a relic and has appeared to be faulty over the last few seasons. That said for £8000 it's served it's purpose very well.
Bert Heads head

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 14:16:35 »

And was the Spurs game the one where their fans started singing "Swindon Town is burning down!"?

Going back to an earlier post, I mainly remember the Lindisfarne concert cos the bearded one spent most of his time repairing his guitar with sellotape. They later said that they were really chuffed to be booked to play a football stadium, thinking they'd be playing in front of 20,000 fans. They disappointed to find just 2,000 of us shivering in the North Stand.

And even further back, before safe standing and all-seaters, anybody else remember the stampede at half time to go from Stratton Bank to the Town end, or vice-versa, depending upon which way we were playing. No barriers, joining the away fans for a chat without the risk of a knuckle sandwich, cold tea and crap pies. Those were the days.
Mother Brown

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: Sunday, February 10, 2013, 16:01:10 »

And was the Spurs game the one where their fans started singing "Swindon Town is burning down!"?

Going back to an earlier post, I mainly remember the Lindisfarne concert cos the bearded one spent most of his time repairing his guitar with sellotape. They later said that they were really chuffed to be booked to play a football stadium, thinking they'd be playing in front of 20,000 fans. They disappointed to find just 2,000 of us shivering in the North Stand.

And even further back, before safe standing and all-seaters, anybody else remember the stampede at half time to go from Stratton Bank to the Town end, or vice-versa, depending upon which way we were playing. No barriers, joining the away fans for a chat without the risk of a knuckle sandwich, cold tea and crap pies. Those were the days.

Can recall the days before segregation but the only stampedes i remember in those days was when it kicked of on the terraces."joining the away fans for a chat" . . was the conversation about Nelson Mandela doing borstal? Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 15   Go Up
Print
Jump to: