Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 13 Players Released  (Read 24225 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #150 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 14:20:07 »

I'm losing no sleep over any of the names.  keeping on "good squad" players is all well and good if they are in fact good players in the first place.  Every single one released is at best average so you get the minimum gain of recruiting another average player on less money than their older contracts, plus newer players won't have any residual knowledge of how crap it's been here.  At best, we replace them with half the number of better players.  Players like Smith are the reason we are where we are, meddling with mid to bottom of the table, because we accept players like him.  Fair enough, he's ok, wouldn't cry about him being in the team this season and he puts the effort in where others may not (bu they are being released as well).  That's not good enough if we want to move up a level, so using the end of their contracts as a time to clear out is fair enough.

I'd reckon we are actively trying to offload some of the contracted players as well.  I can see Ifil and McGovern going down a league on freebies, which should be possible for us to engineer.  Again, like Smith, I have or have had time fo those 2 (Ifil's ran out start of this season for me) but they are replacable by other average workhorses in a worst case scenario and by players probably on less with out new Board set-up, or players who may turn out to develop in a season or two to be sellable.

I think we are beginning to see a major shift in our team, and other teams seem to be waking up to the realism, that money is only in the top league of the game and we don't all have to pay top whack on wages when it's not deserved just because Terry gets £100k a week+.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #151 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 14:21:12 »

king may have dealt with the situation poorly,but he was right about ifils performances.he was diobolical.

He was no worse then than Morrison is now.

I'm not knocking Morrison by the way.

Ignore
« Reply #152 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 15:07:52 »

He was no worse then than Morrison is now.

I'm not knocking Morrison by the way.

we'll have to agree to disagree i think battch.

and to dv.ifil was far from brilliant last season,he started the season really well and was on course for player of the year imo,but he faded badly and was dropped from the team.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #153 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 15:21:28 »

He did start well under PS, faded under MM, and is recovering under DW, same goes for JPM and Phil Smith, and potentially the same might happen with Hasney.
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #154 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 16:22:46 »

Brez I think is the best of our keepers .. he deserves a contract more than Smith ....

I 100% disagree with you., Brez is a decent shot stopper and thats about it IMO, His kicking is shit, he goes walkabout, often gets confused with the defenders and seems to lack and kind of communication with his defenders. He also does that silly catch the ball and drop it thing that gets on my tits. Prior to his injury he was the dogs bollocks however it looks now afdter 2 seasons after, it was only a purple patch which is a shame. People appear to hve the blinkered approach. yes he was shit hot and saved the 2 penalties but you can't live on that memory forever.

Smith puts in a decent shift and genuinly appears to want to play for STFC and as Yeovil said, appreciates being a pro footballer, he has done the 9-5 job and doesnt want to go back to that. Smith has worked his bollocks off this year to get back to his best and fully deserves the reward he got (a new deal). Some of the saves he made towards the end of the season, against Bristol Rovers for example. Showed committment, passion and dedication, someone who really wants to earn his stripes.

It's no coincidence since Smith came back into the fray we got better, (ok OTJ, HRK, Greer helped ut Smith played his part 2)
Spencer_White

« Reply #155 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 17:34:47 »

It is certainly true that Brezovan has been moping around at Swindon for far too long. When you talk about the team going stale, I would say Brez is one of the worst for that. He needs a new challenge.

Such a shame about the arm break. He could have been a one of the finest keepers weve ever had!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #156 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 17:49:41 »

we'll have to agree to disagree i think battch.

and to dv.ifil was far from brilliant last season,he started the season really well and was on course for player of the year imo,but he faded badly and was dropped from the team.

Ifil was pretty solid last year.

I dont remember him being dropped either? He played 40 league games out of the 46 so missed 6.

One red card and 8 yellow cards means he spent 4 of those 6 games suspended.

Dropped indeed.
pumbaa
Ha, no cunt in my title anymore. Oh.....

Fartmeister

Ignore
« Reply #157 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 19:02:38 »

I dont remember him being dropped either? He played 40 league games out of the 46 so missed 6.

Dropped indeed.

The problem though DV is that Ifil hasn't really developed as a player. At 26/7 years old, a couple of hundred league appearances behind him, he really should not need an experienced head beside him to perform to his best. He should be starting to BE that experienced head.

I want Ifil to succeed here, but I'm starting to think he needs a new challenge. Can we afford to wait for him to 'come good' again?
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #158 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 19:15:44 »

With players like ifil j smith and vincent we will be a lower half league 1 team as has been proved. It dont matter whether they played well last year or in patches this year the fact is dw obviously thinks we can get better then so be it.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #159 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 19:25:55 »

With players like ifil j smith and vincent we will be a lower half league 1 team as has been proved. It dont matter whether they played well last year or in patches this year the fact is dw obviously thinks we can get better then so be it.

Problem is though, Cox aside, have we got any players who would succeed at championship level. I can't think of any.

Ignore
« Reply #160 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 20:25:37 »

Dropped indeed.

sturrock dropped him.i didn't mention anything about the number of games nor do i care,but he was dropped nonetheless.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 20:27:48 by arriba » Logged
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #161 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 20:43:51 »

Problem is though, Cox aside, have we got any players who would succeed at championship level. I can't think of any.

There are so many players that have come to the County Ground, either for us or other teams, that I've thought looked fucking awful yet have gone on to establish themselves as decent Championship players. It's a hard question to answer because you don't know how different players cope to different levels and we haven't seen football from the 2nd tier in nearly 10 years now.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #162 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 20:45:45 »

I guess so. Cureton doing OK being a prime example of what you say.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #163 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 20:50:53 »

sturrock dropped him.i didn't mention anything about the number of games nor do i care,but he was dropped nonetheless.

Of course you dont care because you are talking complete bollocks.

Last season Jerel Ifil started every league game under Paul Sturrock.

Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #164 on: Wednesday, May 6, 2009, 21:04:25 »

To be fair its fucking irrelevent. If as wilson said he wants to push for the playoffs then ifil is not good enough
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
Print
Jump to: