Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Can Gartside destroy our football heritage?  (Read 3060 times)
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 19:57:06 »

Agreed. Alternatively it would be good to see them getting their arses thrashed by the likes of Stoke week in, week out and get relegated.

Wouldnt happen...reason being is that once in the Prem...they would get Prem money and spend accordingly....but it will never happen anyway.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 21:43:07 »

We can but hope. If they were to get into the Prem ( and they shouldn't ), they'd have to buy shitloads of players and if it didn't gel quickly they'd be in trouble. 
deltaincline

« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 22:10:41 »

But look at what a great league weve got next year. Its great to see these teams outside their comfort zones.

Great point, Spence. That the likes of Charlton, Southampton and very possibly Norwich are joining the growing ranks of ex-premier league clubs floating around the lower reaches of the FL should frighten the shit out of a lot of clubs. The financial divide is fucking enormous now and it only takes a couple of dodgy player transfers, shit managerial recruitment or a desperate run of injuries for lower prem clubs and they get dragged down. 

I think it's fucking hilarious that so called 'big clubs' are now swapping places with the likes of Peterborough in the Championship, not to mention perennially arrogant 'big clubs' like Newcastle shitting a brick at the thought of dropping off the gravy train. I'd love to see that smug cunt Shearer eat some serious shit if they go down Grin

axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, April 28, 2009, 22:13:04 »

Great point, Spence. That the likes of Charlton, Southampton and very possibly Norwich are joining the growing ranks of ex-premier league clubs floating around the lower reaches of the FL should frighten the shit out of a lot of clubs. The financial divide is fucking enormous now and it only takes a couple of dodgy player transfers, shit managerial recruitment or a desperate run of injuries for lower prem clubs and they get dragged down. 

I think it's fucking hilarious that so called 'big clubs' are now swapping places with the likes of Peterborough in the Championship, not to mention perennially arrogant 'big clubs' like Newcastle shitting a brick at the thought of dropping off the gravy train. I'd love to see that smug cunt Shearer eat some serious shit if they go down Grin

Although of course this is inevitable, the longer the premiership is in existence, the more clubs who have been in it will be floating around. At some point decades from now every club will have been in it. Well, except Rochdale.
Spencer_White

« Reply #19 on: Thursday, April 30, 2009, 17:25:52 »

I was suprised to see Martin O'Neill speak in favour of Celtic and Rangers coming south. I dont know if he will have a word in Randy's ear?

Villa are one of the key clubs along with Spurs and Everton. If those 3 go with it, then this might well happen.

And UEFA say they wont oppose it either. Which makes me suspicious of what is in it for them?
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 30, 2009, 18:02:16 by Spencer_White » Logged
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, April 30, 2009, 18:10:29 »

How about we apply to join the SPL?

Travelling to away games would be a bitch but bar Celtic and Rangers all their teams are shit so we should be able to end up 3rd and qualify for Europe.

Don't see why that is any more stupid than Celtic and Rangers playing in England.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #21 on: Thursday, April 30, 2009, 18:16:18 »

I'm suprised they haven't suggested merging the top two Scottish divisions with England.... Look forward to the FA Cup 3rd Round Draw...

"and Aberdeen will host.... Plymouth Arygle...."
Spencer_White

« Reply #22 on: Thursday, April 30, 2009, 18:19:32 »

Motherwell chairman says they might well try and join the football league if it goes ahead.

Well suprised at how far this is getting. I thought this talk wouldnt resurface for years after Rangers in Manchester.

Yes Aberdeen to Plymouth is a long way, but its no worse than the distances involved in Italy or Germany. Its just that their public transport is 100 times better, and a lot cheaper.

Just imagine how gutted the 'Tartan Army' will be? Haha
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 30, 2009, 18:21:19 by Spencer_White » Logged
Rich Pullen

« Reply #23 on: Thursday, April 30, 2009, 18:24:34 »

Yes Aberdeen to Plymouth is a long way, but its no worse than the distances involved in Italy or Germany. Its just that their public transport is 100 times better, and a lot cheaper.

Surely LA Galaxy versus New England Revolution trumps European efforts Smiley

Or even FC Luch-Energiya Vladivostok's trip to FC MVD Rossii Moscow! Cheesy
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, April 30, 2009, 18:43:23 »

I'm surprised no one has brought up the effect this could have on the independence of the Scottish FA, I reckon their top clubs joining the English league would do a lot more damage than a British team in the Olympics.

I'd quite like a single British league structure, merging the English, Scottish and Welsh leagues. Allocation of European places would be an issue, but why not just have separate places for each FA who then awards them to the teams from their country that finish highest.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #25 on: Thursday, April 30, 2009, 18:45:46 »

I read the tabloids are indicating that Cardiff and Swansea are thinking of quitting the Welsh FA aswell.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, April 30, 2009, 19:30:56 »

To answer Gosport Rob's original point, I think the reason that public outrage has not surfaced is because there is next to no chance of this happening...at least in the form he suggests.  There may well be moves towards closer links between English/Welsh and Scottish clubs, but even here there are obstacles.  The two I can think of immediately are:

1.  The English leagues (incl the Premier League and Football League) are already very successful.  (Yes, there are faults as well.  But none of these faults would be addressed by adding Scottish clubs to the mix.)  None of the English leagues need rejuvenating in this way.  Gates across all divisions are well up on where they were a generation ago.

2.  Politically, there would be very little support for this in Scotland.  Scottish nationalism is taking a bit of a breather during the recession, but I am sure it will return with a vengeance when the Tories (most probably) return to power next year.  Alex Salmond and his pals will be able to make great capital from the argument that the Tory Government in Westminster has no mandate in Scotland, stirring up a fair amount of nationalist sentiment.  I doubt the Scots would be in any mood to disband their football leagues - and nor should they.
« Last Edit: Thursday, April 30, 2009, 19:33:07 by Ardiles » Logged
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, May 1, 2009, 08:24:16 »

because it's not going to happen.

Yeah Juddie and MK Dongs wont happen.....Oh, it already has.....money talks my friend!!

Clems Army!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: