Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Reasons for Coxy to shun the big time and stay here at little Swindon  (Read 9276 times)
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Friday, March 27, 2009, 11:43:52 »

my understanding, and this comes from my mate who's dentist looks after coxy's mum - no word of a lie, is that he wouldn;t want to move too far. Which is why the Fulham rumour makes sense. So I couldn't see him going to sheffield united, for example...
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Friday, March 27, 2009, 11:47:20 »

check out my coxy love-in (top one) if you can be f*cked.

http://fourfourtwo.com/blogs/insideswindontown/default.aspx
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Friday, March 27, 2009, 12:30:55 »

enjoyed that Juddie.

I got given a free issue of April's edition of Four Four Two in my hotel after people must have noticed the sponsor on my Town shirts which I wear a lot of the time! Good freebie that!

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Friday, March 27, 2009, 12:51:46 »

coxy has proven himself to be one of, if not the best striker in league 1.
for his own sake and ambitions he should move up a division.
parkin would have been successfull in the championship if not for injury.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Friday, March 27, 2009, 13:16:59 »

6) He will never, ever be subbed. Seriously, is it in his contract or something? I know he's our best player, but even when he looks knackered/injured and we're 3-0 up he stays on the field.

Cox is getting a bit too close to another suspension for his yellow cards, I think he's on 8 and there's a 3 game ban for 10. The last thing we need if the relegation battle goes to the wire is to lose him for 3 games. If we're winning comfortably or the game is lost Wilson should be getting him off the pitch to prevent him getting another booking.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Friday, March 27, 2009, 13:19:15 »

Cox is getting a bit too close to another suspension for his yellow cards, I think he's on 8 and there's a 3 game ban for 10. The last thing we need if the relegation battle goes to the wire is to lose him for 3 games. If we're winning comfortably or the game is lost Wilson should be getting him off the pitch to prevent him getting another booking.

Isnt the deadline for 10 the end of the month and then it goes to 15?
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Friday, March 27, 2009, 13:20:28 »

can you post it on here, cant get on that at work
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #22 on: Friday, March 27, 2009, 13:38:04 »

Town fan Nick Judd talks up the striker whose recent goal glut has all but ensured Swindon's League 1 survival...

If Simon Cox isn’t the best striker in League 1, then my name’s Floella Benjamin.

Swindon's No.31 scored his third away hat-trick of the campaign on Tuesday night – the first Town player since Bill Stephens in 1946/47 to score two or more away from home – and helped the Robins secure three valuable points against relegation rivals Northampton Town.

Cox has scored seven goals in Swindon's last three games, not a bad return considering the pressure of Town having dropped into the relegation zone. Cometh the hour, cometh the man…

Cox chests home his third against the Cobblers

It would be unfair to suggest Cox alone has single-handedly hauled Swindon up to 15th place in the table, but that he continues to score with regularity in a consistently inconsistent team speaks volumes for the magic in his boots.

The former Reading striker has now scored 27 times this season, with 24 of them in League 1 making him joint top-scorer with Bristol Rovers talisman Rickie Lambert. No wonder, then, that the attendance of scouts in our director’s box continues to grow quicker than the national debt.

Cox said in January that he wanted to stay after Town rejected a bid from Huddersfield Town, and his decision could prove to be one of the deciding factors in the Robins's survival. But few Reds would begrudge him the chance to test himself at the highest level for the right price next season, if he decided to leave.

The good news for the club is that with each passing week his stock continues to rise. Arsenal great, Ian Wright – who knows a bit about finding the net – described his volley against Walsall as one of the best goals he’d ever seen.

While last Saturday’s highly contentious effort against Hereford - with Cox flicking the ball home despite being offside - highlighted his predatory instincts.

His ability to find goalscoring positions makes him extremely dangerous, and his continuous chasing of lost causes down the channels and tracking back reminds me of Wayne Rooney’s boundless energy.

He’s shares Rooney’s enthusiasm – he often get as frustrated, although he’s not punched any corner flags just yet – and he boasts an intelligence that would demand a seven-figure sum.

"Anyone want a match-ball? I've got plenty"

Such money would go a long way to building a decent side next season, but the question for Town’s board is whether they cash in on their prize asset or invest in keeping him in SN1 for a shot at promotion next season (should we stay up).

There’s no question which option manager Danny Wilson would prefer, although he is in no doubt that Cox could cut it in the top flight. “I can see players in the Premier League at this moment in time, who have had decent careers at that level, but who aren’t as good as him,” said Town’s boss after the seven-goal thriller at Sixfields.

Fulham are rumoured to be taking an interest in our man. And while Jermaine Beckford (Leeds), Matty Fryatt (Leicester), Gary Hooper (Scunthorpe) and Craig Mackail-Smith (Peterborough) have also scored more than 20 goals this season and will be mentioned as other players to watch, Cox’s 27 in front of a midfield that has seen more changes than a Ground Force garden makes him a more effective prospect.

Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Friday, March 27, 2009, 13:56:20 »

"More changes than a Ground Force Garden".

I like that Cool
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Friday, March 27, 2009, 14:08:34 »

I think for Coxy to even consider staying, investment would have to be made in the team to prove to him that we can be challenging next season (assumnig we stay up) he probably wouldn't want to stay here over a mid table championship club to bum in mid table, I think we will have to show him some real ambition for him to consider staying.
juddie

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Friday, March 27, 2009, 14:14:00 »

but if we were to finish this season strongly, which is a possibility, would he not think to give it another season?

I think if we stay up we could have a good shot next year. He may think the same...
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Friday, March 27, 2009, 15:35:53 »

but if we were to finish this season strongly, which is a possibility, would he not think to give it another season?

I think if we stay up we could have a good shot next year. He may think the same...

I think this season has shown that we have a lot of building to do in the summer to strengthen, I honestly think that if Cox can see that we are getting a decent quality of player in with the intentions of having a real go, and spending a few quid in the process (I'm sure it will only be a few with the current climate) he may be tempted to stay to get a promotion on his CV or a crack at the play-off's, or he may think he can get more goals in a promotion chasing team than a relegation threatened team to further enhance his potential, the good thing is he's only 21 so time is on his side.

But this may all be irelevant if the calibre of club making an offer is far far superior to what we can offer here, and of course assuming they will guarantee him 1st team football rather than having to force his way into a team or I'm sure he'd reject them on that basis anyway.
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Friday, March 27, 2009, 15:44:49 »

For us to push for even the play-offs next year would require us to sign Greer, Kanu and Jones or players of similar quality. And then there'd still be work to do if you ask me. It's going to take serious investment to get us up the right end of the table next year, and I'm worried that might be a risk too large for Fitton to consider worthwhile
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Friday, March 27, 2009, 15:52:00 »

we all said that last season...
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Friday, March 27, 2009, 17:05:17 »

Town fan Nick Judd talks up the striker whose recent goal glut has all but ensured Swindon's League 1 survival...

He’s shares Rooney’s enthusiasm – he often get as frustrated, although he’s not punched any corner flags just yet

Bristol Rovers away last season?

It's All Good..............
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: