Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Computer problems & advice FAQ  (Read 11407 times)
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, April 9, 2009, 17:43:50 »

We have a security enabled network but noone has changed the passkey.

I just dont get why the laptops arent picking up the router and when you look at available networks on the laptops, ours doesn't show...
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #16 on: Thursday, April 9, 2009, 17:46:14 »

Sounds like the SSID is hidden. In the router menu try and disable the 'hidden SSID' setting.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, April 9, 2009, 17:48:42 »

I tried disabling "ESSID Broadcast " but that did nothing...
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, April 9, 2009, 17:49:02 »

Ah, your router might not be broadcasting the SSID. I'm guessing the PC you're on is connected by cable.

Go back into the router menu and go to Channel and SSID under the Wireless heading. Check ESSID broadcast is set to enabled.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, April 9, 2009, 17:49:57 »

Hang on people, where is the router menu?  In that link you posted Sam?
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Thursday, April 9, 2009, 17:50:27 »

Yep.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, April 9, 2009, 17:51:55 »

Ok well I went in and where it said "extend range" I clicked enable and its now working!
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #22 on: Thursday, April 9, 2009, 17:52:21 »

You will know it's the router menu if it has reference to Belkin in it.
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, June 28, 2009, 17:09:53 »

I have this problem again Sad  read through the above and its still not working - any other suggestions?  Theres now 2 laptops in the house and neither are picking up wireless Sad
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: Sunday, June 28, 2009, 18:41:34 »

I assume you plain can't see the router again so don't even attempt to connect to it. Assuming that's true :

1. Reboot the router, see if it clears issue.
2. Take your laptop and stand right next to the router. See if you can see it. It's not beyond he realms of possibility that interference is causing the issue (DECT phones, video senders, etc, all share the same airwaves) and standing next to the router is a way of reducing the chance of interference.
3. No joy, then plug in cable and make sure you can log in to the router. Check the settings.

I've had a dodgy router in the past that has managed to turn off the wireless all by itself. Also the same dodgy router had a habit of dying totally - you couldn't get in to configure it and needed to reload the firmware onto it.

4. Try a different wireless channel. You will need to go into the router and configure the 'wireless setting'. There should be an option on there, so if it is set to (e.g.) channel 1, then chose channel 12. Etc. It may take a few seconds for the laptop to recognise the wireless after you have changed channel.

5. A couple of applications I have found useful as

XP: Netstumbler (http://www.netstumbler.com/ - site seems down) Sad
Vista: Vistumbler (http://www.vistumbler.net/)

These sniff out any networks your PC can see. Helpful to see if it recognises your network, and also to avoid channel clashes with neighbours if you try step 4. They are relatively easy to configure/use -hit the play button(for netstumbler you may need to change 'device from prism to ndis depending on your network card).

6. The only other thing I can think of is disable wireless security temporarily and see if you can suddenly see the router. Last result and you want to re-enable it ASAP so make sure you know your settings, etc just in case the router doesn't retain them between disable/re-enable.

Wireless can be a royal pain in the arse when it doesn't work!
« Last Edit: Sunday, June 28, 2009, 18:45:14 by Batch » Logged
Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, June 28, 2009, 20:09:29 »

Thank you!

Got it sorted in the end - did reset it but not sure whether it was that or whether it was my fiddling around with the cables!
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, June 28, 2009, 20:49:23 »

Thank you!

Got it sorted in the end - did reset it but not sure whether it was that or whether it was my fiddling around with the cables!

Probably the reset, the cables shouldn't affect the wireless.
Barry Scott

« Reply #27 on: Saturday, August 8, 2009, 20:09:00 »

Anyone have any router advice please?

I'm currently running a Linksys router, but TalkTalk seem to think my internet constantly going down and giving me shit speed (lowest on record is now 9kbps down and 700kbps+ up?!) is a router problem. Being Linksys (which i'm lead to believe are good) i doubted this, but it's recently started to require reseting at least once every 24 hours to allow me to connect to it wirelessly.

I also find a hard reboot seems to give me more speed for a few hours, well, it gets it up to 500-700kbps down, when it should be 2.2mbps.

Well it appears I'm wrong, need to eat some Humble Pie and the router is broken. So, I'm probably going to buy another Linksys, but wonder if anyone has any recommendations as to the manufacturer? (As long as it's not Belkin or D-Link!)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #28 on: Saturday, August 8, 2009, 20:42:26 »

It does sound like a router problem rather than a line problem I have to admit, the needing to reset fault is the key on this.

I have used d-link many times with little problems at all. but 20 years of working on PC's I have never used Belkin..I have used Belkin dongles and found them fine but have no idea about the standard of the routers themselves.

But in general I have always had good comments on Netgear and Cisco....admittedly the Cisco are pretty pricey, if you can afford one go for Cisco...if not then Netgear isnt a bad cheaper solution.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Barry Scott

« Reply #29 on: Saturday, August 8, 2009, 21:11:24 »

I've never used Netgear, but used to have a NAS by them which was awful, and to be fair haven't used a D-Link or Belkin for years, but my last 2 were those and dropped like fuck. I also used to own a Dynacord, which was pretty reliable, but like you say, Cisco is a pretty major brand and is THE brand for proper routers, so should be good in the home.

The pricing issue of the Cisco/Linksys is only thing holding me back on buying another, especially as my Old Man recently bought some Tiawanese tat for £10 on eBay, which is faultless.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: