Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Tranmere Vs. Swindon Town M.D.T  (Read 24799 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Sunday, March 1, 2009, 10:31:54 »

This is how all the last minute goals have really hurt us...the players probably feel they should be 10 points better off, and could cruise to safe lower mid-table finish, while planning their hols.

The extra effort of a relegation scrap just looks beyond them..
STFC_Gazza

« Reply #241 on: Sunday, March 1, 2009, 10:55:27 »

True most seem to not even give a shit.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #242 on: Sunday, March 1, 2009, 11:45:55 »

What's happened to Razak? Has Wilson decided he's a bit shit now, or is he injured? He's got to be a better option up front than Peacks.

Paynter does seem to get knackered and I think this is why he subs him. Don't know about Tranmere because I wasn't there, but it sounds like he could have played on regardless.
cib

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Sunday, March 1, 2009, 14:23:40 »

I think everything has been said that can be about yesterdays performance, it felt half-hearted. We had the opportunity to kick them when they were down and we didn't, they were average even with that lump up front for them.

On the Paynter front, I thought he played well yesterday and was unfortunate to be taken off. How his overhead kick didn't go in is beyond me, he looked gutted when he turned to see the keeper had saved it.
I agree about Cox going down easy for the sending off, it did look like he should have stayed on his feet and tuck it away. Its been said in another thread but he needs to play football rather than get into threatening positions and look for a foul - he has the ability (and he knows it), so its frustrating to see it.

Personally, I think Timlin was shocking yesterday - mislaid passes, not close enough to their centre mids and I thought he was a bit lethargic generally. Kanyuka offered little again, when Nalis came on along with Timlin their Centre mids got too much space and scored. When they were down to 10 Timlin and Nalis seemed to sit in the same hole and were very reluctant to get shots away - again more frustrating. On the other hand if they had shot and put it over we would have slated them for not using width.

I could go on more but its been said before. We had the opporunity to take 3 points, if not 1. Optimistically I'd like to call yesterday a little bad luck, but a season of disappointment cannot be reasoned by luck. The players need to question their commitment, knuckle down and fight - we've been saying this too often but they could do themselves a massive favour by putting a performance in on Tuesday.

Keep the faith
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Sunday, March 1, 2009, 16:30:21 »

This is how all the last minute goals have really hurt us...the players probably feel they should be 10 points better off, and could cruise to safe lower mid-table finish, while planning their hols.

So it's a question of who can play, who wants to play, who can't play and who doesn't want to play.

The third choice striker is a headache, Sturrock, Joyce, Razak if not Peacock?

Hartlepool appears to be have viewed as a hiccup, Tranmere and Hartlepool together not a hiccup.  Given Sturrock's good games against Cheltenham, I would be tempted to either give him the first half so that Paynter is around for the last twenty minutes when he is usually most needed.  In fact, playing Sturrock to wear out the opposing back four in the first forty-five may not be a bad idea in most games, with Paynter to play the entire second half.  Stuurrock would be in the "wants to play" category".

Also for midfield, maybe a similar approach, play a "wants to play" even if not the first choice.

Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #245 on: Sunday, March 1, 2009, 16:35:35 »

On the basis that you want to start Blair Sturrock i now declare you fucking nuts
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Sunday, March 1, 2009, 16:37:05 »

So it's a question of who can play, who wants to play, who can't play and who doesn't want to play.

Hartlepool appears to be have viewed as a hiccup, Tranmere and Hartlepool together not a hiccup.  Given Sturrock's good games against Cheltenham, I would be tempted to either give him the first half so that Paynter is around for the last twenty minutes when he is usually most needed.  In fact, playing Sturrock to wear out the opposing back four in the first forty-five may not be a bad idea in most games, with Paynter to play the entire second half.  Stuurrock would be in the "wants to play" category".

Also for midfield, maybe a similar approach, play a "wants to play" even if not the first choice.

Very good post...

Its time to put in some battlers and 110%ers.....I would like to see Razak come on, much better option than Macnammmmmeeeee to meeee.

You will be able to smell the tension on Tuesday night.

Clems Army!
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Sunday, March 1, 2009, 17:01:26 »

Heres a novel idea....if we are a goal down and chasing the game dont take Paynter off and play 3 strikers?

Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #248 on: Sunday, March 1, 2009, 17:17:27 »

Heres a novel idea let the manager do his job without moaning like fuck. Paynter blows out of his ass like fuck after half an hour. With both up front with cox it would lead to hoofball and paynter and peacock are both shit in the air.
Div

« Reply #249 on: Sunday, March 1, 2009, 17:24:50 »

Heres a novel idea....if we are a goal down and chasing the game dont take Paynter off and play 3 strikers?

Ingenious
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #250 on: Sunday, March 1, 2009, 17:29:44 »

Lets not forget that goal difference could be key still.
Panda Paws

« Reply #251 on: Sunday, March 1, 2009, 18:32:12 »

Also, if we win on Tuesday, we'll one point behind Carlisle and Yeovil, with three of the bottom four still to play....I know it sounds stupid but lets just hope and pray and try and be positive going into Tuesday
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Sunday, March 1, 2009, 18:32:29 »

On the basis that you want to start Blair Sturrock i now declare you fucking nuts

Okay, how many games have we put away before half time this season?  We have a main striker, Paynter, who apparently can only play for an hour for whatever reason. We lose games late when we can't hold the ball up with Paynter off (e.g. Hartlepool), then the logical conclusion is that we have Paynter on at the end of the game, either to hold on to what we got or to chase the game.  Per Sturrock Senior (and Cloughie) you need the ball at the fucking other end as much as possible especially late on.  So when Paynter goes off with twenty minutes to go, we can't hold the ball up and we are totally fucked.

Sturrock was suggested because he has played well against Cheltenham in the past and Cheltenham have really only got effort and will to win. If our players don't dig in and work we will lose, and probably will.  We need some grafters out there because we have been consistently beaten by shit teams all season, who have only had graft and "Route 1" to offer.

If you don't like Sturrock who actually puts effort in (he's in "the want to play" category), then how about Joyce or Razak?

I might be nuts, but if you can only apparently play Paynter for an hour, and with Peacock to old and slow to be effective (except against nine), you'd better come up with some alternatives.  If you can't get a striker of Paynter's quality on emergency loan, what do you do?  Do you do the same thing as the last two games, or do try and be creative.  Wilson seems to think that we have Cox, Paynter, and Peacock as our three sole strikers.  Paynter lasts for an hour, Peacock is ineffective.  We apparently have 1-2/3 effective fucking strikers, so what the fuck do you suggest?

THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Sunday, March 1, 2009, 18:42:03 »

Cox and Paynter for as long as possible  then batter the cunts with Razak....

Clems Army!

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Sunday, March 1, 2009, 18:43:47 »

for me, playing 3 upfront when chasing a game is a gamble worth taking.if you are losing you have bugger all to lose by doing so.paynter and peacock are probably the best two headers of the ball we have.
sturrock is another option as he runs the channels better then any other town player.

as i wasn't there i dont know what happend yesterday.but in the closing 15 mins or so did we go 3 at the back?or maybe go 3 in midfield with an extra body upfront?
all obvious moves, but worth trying imo.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18   Go Up
Print
Jump to: