Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 1972 Palace 5 - 0 Man Utd (Don Rogers the star)  (Read 5113 times)
alanmayes

Ignore
« on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 08:53:55 »

My Dad took me to this game,along with my schoolfriend as a special treat.Bert Head was the Palace
manager and 50,000 in the ground.The Don was the star of the show...

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 10:40:32 »

Quality. I've never seen much quality footage of the Don, so this is really my first opportunity to see what everyone so fondly remembers! Even if this was for Palace. Not a result we're ever likely to see again...

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 12:36:06 »

"Rogers in a way doing a Pele" Smiley
dell boy

« Reply #3 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 16:08:37 »

Really brilliant - how much would he worth today?
sheepshagger
Suburban Capitalist........

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 16:20:34 »

that was an unbelieveable moustache !!!

Seriously though - what a legend !

Wise men say........
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 16:34:35 »

hello sheepshagger, hows your sister?
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 19:01:39 »

I've got that on video somewhere, some quality footage.

He'd be worth a fortune today, wouldn't have stayed at Swindon for so long though, so lucky we had him back then.
bigbobjoylove

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 20:46:04 »

Lovely stuff.

Was he ever close to getting in the England team during his Palace days?
Rich Pullen

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 21:47:21 »

I believe his book mentions that there was a tabloid campaign to get Rogers in the England squad (which would work nowadays). Sir Alf didn't like the Rogers-type of player though did he not?
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 21:58:55 »

Lovely stuff.

I believe he played in a couple of league representative sides and under23 teams whilst at the CG.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, February 26, 2009, 21:59:18 »

Lovely stuff.

Sir Alf didn't like wingers....Don Revie didn't like anybody who wasn't norvern or played for Leeds.
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Friday, February 27, 2009, 08:02:50 »

Christiano Ronaldo of the 70's (without the cheating!)
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Friday, February 27, 2009, 14:47:20 »

I loved Brian Moore's commentary,"It's going to be five" even though Don still had to beat two or
three defenders in the box,after rounding Stepney!

Two excited schoolboys travelling home with my Dad,listening to Bert Head on Sports Report calling
for Don to be in the England squad.

The following monday,all our classmates wanted to know about it,because the game had been on sundays
Big Match.Lethbridge Rd Infants School was never quite the same!

Don started in amazing fashion for Palace,with a goal on his debut at home to Everton,featured on
Match of the Day.Later that season, he scored against Stoke,again in front of The Big Match cameras,
and it was voted ITV's Golden Goal (Goal of the season) I just hope that one day someone will be able
to post that on Youtube or on the Net.He beat about 4 defenders and then took it round the Keeper.

To quote Brian Moore,"That's Don Rogers!"

What a previledge it was to have seen the Don,whether at STFC or at Palace that day.My last memory
of Don in a Town shirt,was beating the Scum 1 - 0 on Boxing Day 76.The Don on one wing,David Moss on
the other,in front of 14,000 at the County Ground.Memories eh?

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Friday, February 27, 2009, 16:05:23 »

The Don and 1969 got a bit of a mention today on the Grauniad site under a look back at great League Cup finals...

5) From the Horse of the Year Show to a riot in Naples (Swindon Town 3-1 Arsenal, 1969)

Arsenal hadn't won a trophy since becoming league champions in 1953, but the north London giants were expected to end that shameful run at Wembley against third division Swindon Town. But no. "This snippet coming off the news tapes stuck first disbelief, then a sense of shock and horror into Arsenal supporters, who range the world," reported the Guardian. "Swindon Town, with two goals in extra time from Don Rogers, beat Arsenal 3-1."

Swindon's Roger Smart had looked like being the hero in normal time, pouncing on some slapstick confusion between Ian Ure and Bob Wilson to poke home, but Bobby Gould equalised four minutes from time. He would soon wish he hadn't bothered. "Extra time only brought the completion of humiliation," continued the Guardian. "Swindon outstayed Arsenal when every man's muscles screamed for relief, out-thought them for those crucial 30 minutes and, most damning of all, outplayed them." Rogers scored twice, the crowning glory a long, powerful dribble which put paid to any accusations that the Horse of the Year Show quagmire on which they played was somehow a leveller.

Arsenal would finally win a couple of pots in 1971, landing the double. But by then Swindon had secured a double of their own. By winning the League Cup, they were entered in the inaugural Anglo-Italian League Cup, a competition set up to compensate them for being forced to forgo the Fairs Cup spot they had earned, but were denied by Uefa due to their third-division status. Swindon won that trophy, beating a Roma side including Fabio Capello 5-2 on aggregate, then followed it up a year later by landing the first Anglo-Italian Cup. That final was almost as spectacular as their League Cup success: 3-0 up against Napoli in the Italian side's own stadium, the home fans began ripping up the joint, forcing the match to be abandoned.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/feb/27/league-cup-finals-carling-football
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Friday, February 27, 2009, 18:11:50 »

The Don and 1969 got a bit of a mention today on the Grauniad site under a look back at great League Cup finals...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2009/feb/27/league-cup-finals-carling-football

I have the Roma programme fully signed.....get in!

Clems Army!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: