Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Four signings!  (Read 13454 times)
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Monday, January 26, 2009, 16:08:30 »

Not in my opinion...have they played in the prem?
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: Monday, January 26, 2009, 16:11:16 »

Respect your opinion TODDY,,,,but my view is that if you look at Huddersfield alot will think theyve taken a gamble...Lee Clarke as manager,theyve just gone out and spent nearly a million on players,,good players,personally i dont think its a gamble for them as i see them pushing on now,they got in a manager and have backed him,weve braught in a good manager so why arnt we backing him....Huddersfield are not loaded but they have gone for it,i know we probably couldnt spend a million but even a quarter of that would have provided us with some ammo.
We need players now not trialists and loanees...next season will be too late i think.
But its been done now and hopefully we can grab 3 points tomorow, ime just very disapointed.

Have you been drinking? give the players a fricking game before you give such harsh judgement, you have the kind of deluded, head in cuckoo land most of our unrealistic fans have.  We all wanted signings and we have got 4.  Lets see how they do now, just because you have not heard of them does not make them not good enough.

Greer has over 150 games to his name and is held in high regard by Doncaster fans so sounds exactly what we need, also said to be a leader, sounds ideal for me.  The boy Kanu is highly rated at Southend and Reading by supporters so should be another bright spark to boost the team.  The trialists are a gamble but if they do well great if they don't fine, its a no lose situation.

Wilson is also talking of signing more players, he and the board are in a no win situation with people like you who want big money signings and names you can recognise.  Personally I am really looking forward to seeing new players tomorrow and hopefully kick starting our season.

Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Monday, January 26, 2009, 16:11:33 »

You said it yourself leefer, Huddersfield are gambling with the future of their club by doing what they have. particually with an unproven manager. And loaness and trilaists are players!

I'd be delighted if we signed a few "big money" players and Sir Martyn Arbib said he would pay the fees and underwite their wages. But there has been no idication of that happening so I'm not dissapointed. I wasnt expecting signings to make the whole league sit up and take note, I was expecting a few decent players which I'm optimistic we now have, hopefully with "1 or 2 more to follow"  
Rich Pullen

« Reply #78 on: Monday, January 26, 2009, 16:11:37 »

Not in my opinion...have they played in the prem?

Do you really believe we are "bigger" than clubs because we were in the Premiership for one whole season?

It's just as ancient history as Huddersfield winning the top flight 3 times and an FA Cup in the 20's!
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Monday, January 26, 2009, 16:13:46 »

Do you really believe we are "bigger" than clubs because we were in the Premiership for one whole season?

It's just as ancient history as Huddersfield winning the top flight 3 times and an FA Cup in the 20's!

Totally agree.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Monday, January 26, 2009, 16:15:43 »

No i dont...so explain why they are bigger than us today...
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Monday, January 26, 2009, 16:16:18 »

Oh jesus christ. We have played in the top division ONCE in our entire history. It does NOT make us a big club for this division. Theres a whole multitude of reasons huddersfield are bigger than us -

- The whole 3 league titles in 3 seasons thing
- The fa cups they've won
- They have a much bigger ground than us
- They have a much bigger fanbase than us

They can afford to splash all this cash, pure and simple. We can't. People may be forgetting what such a horrible situation we were in before the takeover. There was just no way possible we can go around spending 500k willy nilly. Even the 250k spent on cox was a massive gamble.

And what happens if for whatever reason huddersfield dont get promoted, or there sugar daddy buggers off? Then there not even back to square one. There in a worse position than they were originally. The way were doing things is the way to do it, especially in this unstable economic climate. It doesn't please everyone, but if people are too short sighted to see why this is being done then fuck 'em. I'd much rather have a steady, financially secure football club, even if it does mean mediocrity in the near future. Because it will lead to success. Look at clubs like doncaster, that is the idal model to follow. I Dont want a boom and bust football club

Things get better but they never get good
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Monday, January 26, 2009, 16:27:25 »

If your going on the notion that they get bigger crowds thats old hat....Wigan get half the crowds of West Ham...spent twice as much...its all to do with how the club is run obviously.
As for boom and bust weve already had the bust with what weve lost on the gamble that was MM and the shit players he braught here...if you read my post correctly i pointed out that we couldnt spend as big as Huddersfield...but we were all led to believe we would do some spending....you might as well say Newcastle are bigger than Wigan as well...weve won more than than Newcastle in the last 50 years....just cos you gotta bigger ground dosnt make you a bigger club

Oh in my opinion Donny are going down so for me its not what i aspire to be...ther spunky new ground will be half full next season.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Monday, January 26, 2009, 16:30:12 »

Oh in my opinion Donny are going down so for me its not what i aspire to be...ther spunky new ground will be half full next season.

Whereas our tired old ground has been half full for about ten years now.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: Monday, January 26, 2009, 16:31:13 »

As for boom and bust weve already had the bust with what weve lost on the gamble that was MM and the shit players he braught here

Not having a go or owt, but how insanely short sighted are you. I'd say the boom was around the mid-90's and the bust was when we almost, you know, went bust?

Things get better but they never get good
Rich Pullen

« Reply #85 on: Monday, January 26, 2009, 16:33:58 »

The "bigger" club debate is useless to be honest. Everyone has their own slant on what makes one club bigger than another. This'll turn into an annoying 45 page argument otherwise!
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Monday, January 26, 2009, 16:42:18 »

Sarcasm isnt your good point Dave!...ime not saying ware anyware near bust,ime not saying we should spend shit loads..MM spent what little we had thats not DW fault but we do need to spend some if we are to stay up...your the insanely short sighted one if you cant see that,,,,,and while ime on a rant Swindon has a hundred thousand more inhabitants last count than Huddersfield so your fanbase theory do nt stand up,in a nutshell what i am saying is we should match teams ambition like Huddersfield...footballs moved on Good old uddersfield were bigger than us,i would argue we should be on a par with them at least.
Bradford are arguably bigger than us,big crowds etc...i dont want to be playing them next year.
And for the argument Rich if you read back i didnt say we were bigger than Huddersfield.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: Monday, January 26, 2009, 16:45:47 »

But i did argue Huddersfield wernt bigger than us...but agreed Rich nuff said i think!
adje

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Monday, January 26, 2009, 16:53:10 »

Well to be honest Leefer,fanbase and population aren't exactly the same thing.Huddersfield is traditionally far more a "footballing town" than Swindon,I dont think we would sell 15000 season tickets however much they were
« Last Edit: Monday, January 26, 2009, 19:02:54 by adje » Logged

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: Monday, January 26, 2009, 16:55:09 »

Hudderfield I expect pay shit loads more in wages than we do.

The difference is they have signed players like Pilkington and Ainsworth because they will go there.

Those 2 wouldnt give us a second look. We'd probably only pay them half of what they are on now.

Big Club/Small Club/Medium Club - it doesnt fucking matter. Huddersfield will pay bigger wages and will therefore attract a better quality of player. They have a bloody good back room staff and are up the right end of the table.

We did a similiar thing in the 90s ie spending a fair bit on players and paying decent wages and it didnt do us any good long term

No one in a million years would come to us instead because we played one season in the Premiership
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
Print
Jump to: