Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Message for Mr. Fitton  (Read 19022 times)
Spencer_White

« Reply #120 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 19:38:47 »

A 1-0 defeat vs Reading towards the end of the 90's.  Lots of passion that night, still lost though, so it counts for fuck all.

Yeah, but I remmember being so upset about that result. We needed a win so badly and they fluked it.

You cant measure a team trying hard. But 3,000 Swindon fans travelling to Stoke tells you something.

As regards the Swansea game, yes it was passionate. As was Bristol Rovers before that, and Nottingham Forest after that. But what has there been since? This season?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 19:42:38 »

Yeah, but I remmember being so upset about that result. We needed a win so badly and they fluked it.

You cant measure a team trying hard. But 3,000 Swindon fans travelling to Stoke tells you something.

As regards the Swansea game, yes it was passionate. As was Bristol Rovers before that, and Nottingham Forest after that. But what has there been since? This season?

Leeds could and should have been...ideal opportunity, good conditions, more or less full house...early sending off etc.

But we imploded spectacularly and set the tone for what was to come.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #122 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 19:43:26 »

But what has there been since? This season?

Few and far between. Rarely this season has anyone written of a good performance, even when we've won!

Many came back after Tranmere on the first day and wrote that a better team would have beaten us.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 20:07:09 »

Think I took my stand against the club when the Stratton Bank faithful were forced to give up their space and stand in the away end when West Ham came to town in the FA Cup years ago. I had a hissy fit and refused to go for a while. By the time I 'forgave' the club they had decided to close the Stratton Bank. That being the case, I stayed away!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 20:29:57 »

Think I took my stand against the club when the Stratton Bank faithful were forced to give up their space and stand in the away end when West Ham came to town in the FA Cup years ago. I had a hissy fit and refused to go for a while. By the time I 'forgave' the club they had decided to close the Stratton Bank. That being the case, I stayed away!

Was that the game around 74/75? I recall one around then, when I lived on the South Coast, had been travelling for a bit and hadn't been for a while. Made the effort to get up for the game, went in the turnstiles in Shrivenham Road, to walk up to the TE as usual, to discover a fucking gert fence blocking the way...hadn't been there before, so thought I'd climb over it...got half way up when OB took exception and threw me out.

So had to walk round to the TE and pay again  Angry

26000+ in that night...magic when Trevor Anderson scored.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 20:36:56 »

Was that the game around 74/75? I recall one around then, when I lived on the South Coast, had been travelling for a bit and hadn't been for a while. Made the effort to get up for the game, went in the turnstiles in Shrivenham Road, to walk up to the TE as usual, to discover a fucking gert fence blocking the way...hadn't been there before, so thought I'd climb over it...got half way up when OB took exception and threw me out.

I think you'll find that the match referred to was the FA CUP 4th round 1989.Remember Fraser
was in unbeatable form - saves from Mark Ward and David Kelly standout.Big publicity for Digby
the following week,especially from Steve Curry in the Express calling him,"The best young keeper
in england".Btw,i was also at the 75 Cup replay against the Hammers.Sadly,we couldn't stop
Brooking that night.Eastoe and Anderson were a good combo.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 20:42:23 »

Excellent thread. This was exactly the sort of debate i hoped would happen and one of the best TEF threads in a while. The reason I adressed this topic to Mr.Fitton is because the people that use this website are some of his most loyal customers, the majority of users on here are season ticket holders or go on a regular basis. Lets face it, he is the one who has the most to lose.

What I wanted to put across was very similar to what lucien was saying. My love for Swindon Town will never die, I will always be proud to say I support them and they are my team for life. However, my enthusiasm for the whole matchday is waning. The only things I look forward to is seeing my mates, popping into my parents place and the pre and post match rituals that I have had for 20/30 years. Quick whiskey in the merlin, a drink in the county, a couple in the winners, buying half time draw tickets off iris, listening to the radio 5 results music as Im driving home. These are the things that keep me going to Swindon. The football doesnt actually come into it at the moment which is fucking criminal.

I have seen fucking awful teams over the years, iffys side were pure shit, when i first started watching in 82-3 we were fucking awful, but the difference now is they really doesnt seem to be any connection with the crowd or any sort of attitude. Others in this thread have alluded to this and I think its vitally important.

I dont think I will be renewing, personal circumstances for me have changed and its getting more and more difficult to justify a 240 mile round trip. but I wont be giving up entirely Im going to leicester and how I would love another crack at the scum.

Take what you will from this I have been rambling and im not as eloquent as some on here, I just find myself in need of a break and maybe Spencer is right a few months off and i will be back full time and spitting blood again.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 20:50:12 »

That's fair enough Mex, and fair play to you for sparking a very good thread.

It's not really much to do with how we've been playing, but I think over the last 12 months I've really come to realise there are a lot more important things than football and other things have to take priority. I can't say I'd travel that far every Saturday to watch us. I can't see my love for the club ever dying, and I still have that blind faith that success is around the corner I had when I was 6. Suppose to you have to believe!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 20:51:19 »

Was that the replay from the 1-1 at upton park? If so we should have won up there, as i think it was Tommy Taylor took anderson clean out when through on goal, and din't even get booked.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 20:55:13 »

Was that the replay from the 1-1 at upton park? If so we should have won up there, as i think it was Tommy Taylor took anderson clean out when through on goal, and din't even get booked.

That's the one...
dell boy

« Reply #130 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 20:55:51 »

I thought we were going to get a good pasting in the stands.
A Hammers fan dismantled the chain securing the food stall after half time and started to swing it around his head. Swindon fans in the area of ground I was in in hit the deck, frightening.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 20:56:25 »

It was the main game featured on 'The Big Match' the following day.Brian Moore was very complimentary on our performance and on some of our players.The great Peter Eastoe scored
a fine equaliser and was interviewed after the game.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 20:59:31 »

I thought we were going to get a good pasting in the stands.
A Hammers fan dismantled the chain securing the food stall after half time and started to swing it around his head. Swindon fans in the area of ground I was in in hit the deck, frightening.
  Dont remember that, but then again i was only about 3 foot 3 and couldn't see much of anything!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 21:00:20 »

It was the main game featured on 'The Big Match' the following day.Brian Moore was very complimentary on our performance and on some of our players.The great Peter Eastoe scored
a fine equaliser and was interviewed after the game.

Certainly the phrase not fit to clean their boots, is applicable to that side and our present lot...they were however in the same division.  In that side...John Trollope, David Moss, Peter Eastoe, Frank Burrows, Joe Butler, Trevor Anderson.
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: Tuesday, January 20, 2009, 21:01:57 »

Eastoe's debut V Carlisle, i think was my first ever home game. Hooked from then on!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13   Go Up
Print
Jump to: