Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What does...  (Read 3328 times)
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 18:19:20 »

Didn't Wrexham have a problem with ground ownership at one stage? And of course there's Mr Kassam down the road.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 18:37:56 »

Didn't Wrexham have a problem with ground ownership at one stage? And of course there's Mr Kassam down the road.

I would imagine that our Board would see Mr Kassam as a model owner.

When he came in the scum were up shit creek without a paddle...he reduced debt to a negligible amount, got them a new ground built which wasn't happening before him, and was keeping them in the FL.it's teh new owners who've fucked up, got them relegated, loaded them with a sack of debt, and failed to meet teh agreed asking price on the stadium purchase.

Right now it's difficult to see where our Board are taking us, other than L2. I'll carry on regarding new ground/redevelopment talk with the same scepticism that I've applied to all the previous schemes.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 19:10:38 »

Kassam sold Oxford the year they got relegated to non-league. Yes, he did reduce the debts, but he's recouped a lot of his losses through the sale of the Manor Ground, the club to its new owners and the fact he is still taking about £400k a year in rent for the stadium, plus all of the advertising and stadium income.

So yeah, it's their new owners fault. I can't help to think you simply wanted to get a reaction. The fact you mention such a shady businessman in the same sentence as our current owners suggests so.

Fair enough be sceptical, but don't stretch your scepticism to the point where you're just trying to shit up an internet forum. In fact, do it on thisis, I hear they go crazy for that sort of shit over there.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 19:28:36 »

I don't think anything I've posted above is anything other than a reasonable interpretation of fact....Mr Kassam prized financial prudence above throwing money at the project, although on occasions he pushed the boat out.  His main failing seemed to be an inability to pick the right manager....

When he sold the club, they were fairly well clear of the relegation zone, it was the decisions of teh new owners that took them through the trap door.

I don't think Mr K is shady....a mere 3 or so years back he received an honorary fellowship from one of the O*frod Uni's for his services to the community, with regard to the stadium....I'd like to think Mr Fitton will be similarly honoured in the future when Swindon finally gets its own uni.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 19:46:08 »

Would the £8m or so that the board have ploughed into the club so far exceed the value of the land that the County Ground is sitting on?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 20:05:47 »

Mr Kassam prized financial prudence above throwing money at the project, although on occasions he pushed the boat out.  His main failing seemed to be an inability to pick the right manager....

Agreed.

When he sold the club, they were fairly well clear of the relegation zone, it was the decisions of teh new owners that took them through the trap door.

Think they were 21st or 22nd. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I'm sure they struggled for the most part in League 2 anyway.

I don't think Mr K is shady....a mere 3 or so years back he received an honorary fellowship from one of the O*frod Uni's for his services to the community, with regard to the stadium....I'd like to think Mr Fitton will be similarly honoured in the future when Swindon finally gets its own uni.

Made his money from shithole hostels didn't he? Rather exploitative, maybe I have read it wrong.

As for modelling our club on Kassam's model? Well for one, Kassam did not get Oxford a new ground, he got himself a new one and he also sold their old one. Secondly, good old Firoz jumped as soon as things were getting up shit creek. He practically admitted he sold the club because it was going to lose money in the future.

Maybe I've got it wrong, but if Fitton is anything like Kassam then we're just as fucked as we were when Diamond Mike was here.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 20:19:01 »

The scum were 18th 7 points clear of the drop with 8 games remaining, when the new owners came in...a bit too do but they assumed it would be easy, therefore had no Plan B for the drop.

Kassam made his money from asylum seeker hostels...maybe exploitative, bit hey that's capitalism for you, scrape the surface and lots of mega-rich have shit on their  fingers.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 20:29:33 »

I checked. They were 22nd when Talbot was sacked and Smith was appointed 8 days later.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 20:31:12 »

I checked. They were 22nd when Talbot was sacked and Smith was appointed 8 days later.

Nah check again...Smith's first game was v Posh, he took over from Patterson, they were 18th.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 20:42:19 »

Nah check again...Smith's first game was v Posh, he took over from Patterson, they were 18th.

Yeah I can't seem to find out where they were, although Patterson got them 5 points in that 8 day period so you are more than likely right.

The point is, I think they were already fucked when he took over.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 21:04:26 »

Yeah I can't seem to find out where they were, although Patterson got them 5 points in that 8 day period so you are more than likely right.

The point is, I think they were already fucked when he took over.

I know I'm right  Smiley

They weren't in a great position, but Patterson had got them on a bit of a run of undefeated games, when Smith took over, had the new owners have left Patterson in charge, he'd have most likely kept them up.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 21:06:28 »

Had Firoz sacked Talbot sooner they'd have been fine.

Regardless Reg, the comment about Kassam being the model owner had to be a wind up and clearly I have bitten.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 21:35:32 »

Had Firoz sacked Talbot sooner they'd have been fine.

Regardless Reg, the comment about Kassam being the model owner had to be a wind up and clearly I have bitten.

No I said our Board would regard him as a model owner...although Firoz never suggested scraping the AGM's.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 21:37:10 »

Bring back the orange hats.

I'll wear mine at the next annual meeting.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, January 7, 2009, 21:43:00 »

Bring back the orange hats.

I'll wear mine at the next annual meeting.

Think it will be worth keeping them at the ready..
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: