Pages: 1 ... 309 310 311 [312] 313 314 315 ... 340   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 'Who's snuffed it now?'  (Read 1366038 times)
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #4665 on: Thursday, June 8, 2023, 16:12:41 »

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/23576575.swindon-town-former-owner-sir-seton-wills-dies-aged-83/

The Adver have done a fairly proper obit, in as much as the Adver write anything these days.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #4666 on: Thursday, June 8, 2023, 16:23:01 »

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/23576575.swindon-town-former-owner-sir-seton-wills-dies-aged-83/

The Adver have done a fairly proper obit, in as much as the Adver write anything these days.

I'll probably burn for this but the tributes 'arriving in spades' made me think they might be handy for the burial.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #4667 on: Thursday, June 8, 2023, 16:33:38 »

I fancy one of those woodland burials.

After I’m dead, of course!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4668 on: Thursday, June 8, 2023, 16:35:49 »

Probably not the right place for this, but I am advising a couple of clients on these, bloody hell they are lucrative when you realise how many you can fit per acre!
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #4669 on: Thursday, June 8, 2023, 16:40:47 »

What do you expect them to do? A sit down interview with the family? Im sure they will do something eventually

Don't be silly.

Club website should be the first port of call. Surely it's where you want all your traffic to go and to try and keep people there?  Obviously combine that with ''advertising'' stories via social media with drip feeding to the main website articles. It's really not that difficult to put some form of order to the press releases.

I'm sure they will and hopefully a page reserved in the club programme at the start of the season.

Rock and hard place job - if they had been silent there would have been complaints about that, he left ages ago after a very sticky period (often self inflicted) under his stewardship, has he had anything to do with the club recently even attending games?

I honestly don't know what sort of reception his lad would get if he were invited on the pitch, from recollection he was not highly thought of by the fans so who knows.

RIP SSW and I hope something like a longer piece on the website or first programme of next year will calm the masses, doesn't need the club to arrange a minutes applause etc if fans so desire.

Writing obituaries is a minefield, I'd rather they took their time to get it accurate and with the right tone rather than rush something out, especially with so many waiting for a mistake.

Not really rock and a hard place but I understand what you mean. A simple initial/breaking release on the club website with a 'more to follow later'  would suffice if a detailed piece was being thought out.

The second bit is kind of a moot point because it would be the club recognising the he/his family kept the club afloat and pretty much only exists today because of such. The current owners also wouldn't have a club to own if it weren't for SSW.

I'm sure they will in due course, my only issue was that twitter whilst a useful tool for bringing notices to fans, shouldn't really be the first port of call for media releases. Comes across like the easier/less professional option - only my personal thought, I'm sure others will think differently. However, I think if the club does make a show for a minutes applause then it will do no harm in recognising the importance of the history of STFC via a former owner. The club arranges {or did} roll calls so I see no reason why they can't do something like this. It's not like the club would be recognising Sofiene Zaboub's 5Oth Birthday or the annual celebration of Tom Broadbent's goal v Oxford. Whether liked much or not, this family truly did save the club/keep STFC in the business of pro footy for years.

I don't think so many are waiting for a mistake. As I mentioned, a shorter piece on the website first {the Social Media Team, {if we have one} can go tweet crazy afterwards if they like}, followed by a longer piece. Orrrr, wait a little while, then release a tweet/FB/Insta post like the one released but with a link to a longer piece on the website.

Apologies, just sometimes the organisation at the club does feel like someone who's planned to open up a shop, advertised the fact but has little to no stock purchased. Ergo, always somewhat lacking and underprepared.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #4670 on: Thursday, June 8, 2023, 16:41:45 »

Me too Aud. Hopefully a while yet x

'Incessant Nonsense'

4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4671 on: Thursday, June 8, 2023, 19:05:16 »

Probably not the right place for this, but I am advising a couple of clients on these, bloody hell they are lucrative when you realise how many you can fit per acre!

Would Aud etc be fertiliser for a plantation? Is that how it works?
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #4672 on: Friday, June 9, 2023, 08:46:30 »

Mine is all sorted and paid for, no funeral, no service, nothing. Just take me and burn me and dispose of the ashes as they wish.

Simple, don't want any fuss.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #4673 on: Friday, June 9, 2023, 11:04:18 »

https://www.swindontownfc.co.uk/news/2023/june/sir-seton-wills/

Club have done a fuller obit, which is rather good actually.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #4674 on: Friday, June 9, 2023, 11:11:11 »

That's a really nice bit and a lovely photo. Fair play to the club for putting that together.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #4675 on: Friday, June 9, 2023, 11:26:58 »

A town ender too  Too Cool
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #4676 on: Friday, June 9, 2023, 11:42:43 »

Mine is all sorted and paid for, no funeral, no service, nothing. Just take me and burn me and dispose of the ashes as they wish.

Simple, don't want any fuss.
Done exactly the same !!!.  Couldn’t give a Fuck what happens once I’m dead !  Certainly don’t want a grave/headstone that needs constant attention.   Been a pain in the arse all my life, don’t want to be one once I’m dead.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
THE FLASH

Quick as a Flash!

Ignore
« Reply #4677 on: Friday, June 9, 2023, 11:59:55 »

Done exactly the same !!!.  Couldn’t give a Fuck what happens once I’m dead !  Certainly don’t want a grave/headstone that needs constant attention.   Been a pain in the arse all my life, don’t want to be one once I’m dead.

Stick £500 behind the Bar at The Foxer.  Thats 20 pints we can share!

Clems Army!
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #4678 on: Friday, June 9, 2023, 12:04:13 »

Reminds me of when my mum died the other year, she was not one for planning things and when she was in hospital and it was obvious that things were drawing to a close my sister innocently asked her if she wanted anything especially at her funeral, my mum responded 'I don't bloody care, I won't be there will I'!  Roll Eyes
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #4679 on: Friday, June 9, 2023, 12:19:13 »

Yeah much more like it and the expected type of tribute.

On another note, can't say I'm a fan of you shortening the word obituary; obit it is a minor gripe  Cheesy
« Last Edit: Friday, June 9, 2023, 12:26:05 by BambooToTheFuture » Logged

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 ... 309 310 311 [312] 313 314 315 ... 340   Go Up
Print
Jump to: