Pages: 1 ... 131 132 133 [134] 135 136 137 ... 339   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 'Who's snuffed it now?'  (Read 1353571 times)
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #1995 on: Thursday, October 26, 2017, 10:47:18 »

Must admit that my first reaction was surprise at him still being alive. Mind you, lots of people thought he died during Hurricane Katrina. Saw his house on our visit to New Orleans last year.

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1996 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2017, 17:00:44 »

Antonio Carluccio aged 80.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #1997 on: Wednesday, November 8, 2017, 17:45:45 »

Fats Domino
love his pizzas
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #1998 on: Saturday, November 11, 2017, 20:11:28 »

John Benedict Hillerman, aka Higgins from Magnum PI
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1999 on: Monday, November 13, 2017, 14:11:39 »

Tim Gudgin, used to read the football results and couldn't day Wanderers, died at 87.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2000 on: Monday, November 13, 2017, 16:03:03 »

Tim Gudgin, used to read the football results and couldn't day Wanderers, died at 87.

I used to like it back in the halcyon days of the 70's Granstand, when Len Martin used to do the football and Tim Gudgin used to do the rugby.   I always assumed the Beeb felt Len sounded a bit too working class for the egg chasers, whereas Tim was posher so more at home with the traditional amateur rugger teams.

It was a shame when rugby went professional so that the results of the classic names were no longer deemed worthy of reading out.  Although one might assume that these just stopped playing.. I think many are still going as grass roots clubs.

Wales....  Maesteg, Cross Keys, Aberavon, Pontypool, Pontypridd, Bridgend, Ebbw Vale, Abertillery

England... Blackheath, Bedford, London Irish/Welsh/Scots, Nottingham, Coventry, Moseley, Esher, Fylde, Rosslyn Park, Plymouth Albion, Otley, Redruth

Scotland... Boroughmuir, Currie, Hawick, Herroit's Former Pupils, Melrose, Watsonians, Gala, Jed-Forest, Kelso, Stewarts-Melville.

The international players often came from these clubs.

Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #2001 on: Monday, November 13, 2017, 17:56:19 »

I used to like it back in the halcyon days of the 70's Granstand, when Len Martin used to do the football and Tim Gudgin used to do the rugby.   I always assumed the Beeb felt Len sounded a bit too working class for the egg chasers, whereas Tim was posher so more at home with the traditional amateur rugger teams.

It was a shame when rugby went professional so that the results of the classic names were no longer deemed worthy of reading out.  Although one might assume that these just stopped playing.. I think many are still going as grass roots clubs.

Wales....  Maesteg, Cross Keys, Aberavon, Pontypool, Pontypridd, Bridgend, Ebbw Vale, Abertillery

England... Blackheath, Bedford, London Irish/Welsh/Scots, Nottingham, Coventry, Moseley, Esher, Fylde, Rosslyn Park, Plymouth Albion, Otley, Redruth

Scotland... Boroughmuir, Currie, Hawick, Herroit's Former Pupils, Melrose, Watsonians, Gala, Jed-Forest, Kelso, Stewarts-Melville.

Mention of those Scottish teams, and Hawick in particular, reminded me of the late, great Bill "and that's a reeeeel how-witz-er" McLaren.
The Voice of Rugby, sadly missed.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Bedford Red

Smithers Jones

Ignore
« Reply #2002 on: Monday, November 13, 2017, 22:17:22 »

Bedford's always been a Rugby town, they've had two go's in the top flight; and are an established Championship club. Never going to get in the top flight as 1) the stadium doesn't meet the criteria and 2) now the play-offs have been removed the team who comes down from the Premiership each year will go straight back up.

When Frank Warren was in charge at Bedford in the late 90's, they could have established themselves in the top flight, but he got into an expensive court battle with Don King from memory, so couldn't put more money into the club, and even then you needed it to try to compete.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2003 on: Monday, November 13, 2017, 23:07:34 »

Bedford's always been a Rugby town, they've had two go's in the top flight; and are an established Championship club. Never going to get in the top flight as 1) the stadium doesn't meet the criteria and 2) now the play-offs have been removed the team who comes down from the Premiership each year will go straight back up.

When Frank Warren was in charge at Bedford in the late 90's, they could have established themselves in the top flight, but he got into an expensive court battle with Don King from memory, so couldn't put more money into the club, and even then you needed it to try to compete.

Interesting as Bedford are just a couple of spots behind Bristol, it shows how good they are, but I suppose it's a chasm to get up to the Premiership.  I was chatting to a mate who's a Harlequin's fan about how Exeter managed it, because they were never really a traditional club as far as I can remember. He didn't know and neither do I.
« Last Edit: Monday, November 13, 2017, 23:11:01 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #2004 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 11:10:51 »

All of those English rugby clubs (I think) are still there.  But some don't share the limelight with the likes of Bath, Leicester, Wasps etc. like they used to.

As for the Scottish ones, it's the Borders clubs (incl Hawick, Melrose, Gala, Jed-Forest, Kelso) that stick in my mind.  Following WB's post, that was late Bill McLaren's neck of the woods - and he talks about all of those clubs with a lot of affection in his autobiography.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2005 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 11:27:21 »

All of those English rugby clubs (I think) are still there.  But some don't share the limelight with the likes of Bath, Leicester, Wasps etc. like they used to.

As for the Scottish ones, it's the Borders clubs (incl Hawick, Melrose, Gala, Jed-Forest, Kelso) that stick in my mind.  Following WB's post, that was late Bill McLaren's neck of the woods - and he talks about all of those clubs with a lot of affection in his autobiography.

Mate of mine moved from Witney to near Kelso a few years back, rugby is still huge around that area, and its a bloody lovely part of the Country!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #2006 on: Tuesday, November 14, 2017, 12:46:26 »

It's interesting how legendary old commentators like Bill, could somehow come to embody the sport, or perhaps a geographical region, just by voice tone and use of imagery.

Some sports by their nature are easier to do this with particularly something like cricket which is a long game.  Also longevity helps... I'd like to think it's not an age thing and there are potential greats still out there.

But consider the names one associates with a sport, and they all seem to have passed or be very long in the tooth.

Who has replaced Harry Carpenter for boxing.  Murray Walker for F1.  Peter Alliss/Henry Longhurst for golf. Eddie Waring for RL. Sid Waddell for darts. Peter O'Sullivan for GG's.
horlock07

Ignore
« Reply #2007 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 11:32:49 »

Keith Barron from Duty Free.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2008 on: Wednesday, November 15, 2017, 11:41:05 »

Keith Barron from Duty Free.

I used to quite enjoy watching that as a kid. No idea why. RIP KB.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #2009 on: Thursday, November 16, 2017, 23:13:06 »

Joy Lofthouse. OK not that famous, but she and her sister joined the ATA delivering a variety of aircraft during the second world war, including the spitfire.

We had her as supply teacher a number of times , but was too interested in dossing about to talk to her about it all, though it was mentioned. kind of regretted that reading about her/the ATA in later life. she must have been full of genuine fascinating stories.

blue skies.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 133 [134] 135 136 137 ... 339   Go Up
Print
Jump to: