Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 ... 339   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 'Who's snuffed it now?'  (Read 1353387 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #1920 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 02:05:18 »

Like I give a fuck Mr. Ben. Flammable or otherwise.
Flashheart

« Reply #1921 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 07:13:17 »

Who'da thunk Brucie's death would have been so contentious?
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #1922 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 07:43:09 »

I think I'm roughly of the same vintage as you, maybe 5 years younger at the outside. Think you need to understand that what's emotionally important to you might not be to a different generation. And then stop trying to pick fights with people that don't wholly share your particular perspective of the world. Bruce Forsyth was a pretty good entertainer in, and of, his time. But he wasn't everyone's cup of tea. I'm not trying to destroy your childhood by saying that.
That is definitely true but at the same time Paul, it is important for that different generation to try to understand a bit about that person (it applies to any famous person - the subject just happens to be Bruce Forsyth in this instance) and how different life was when they were making a name for themselves and how different society was rather than just dismiss them as creepy.

When David Bowie died some one mentioned on here that some one they worked with (I think) had said "Well, David Bowie couldn't have been that great/famous because I've never heard of him"...or words along those lines. What a tiny, enclosed world that person lives in without realising it and how sad that nothing or no one of any significance can possibly exist outside it.

If that was me I would be wanting to know what all the fuss was about and finding about him and having done that I would say, "Wow, now I think I get it"...I might not want to go out and buy up his back catalogue but my mind would have been broadened by the tiniest of increments - which can only be a good thing.

I am well aware that BF and DB are poles apart in every way imaginable but my point applies to both which is that we should not judge those who have gone before us by the values and views of today and what goes on our own small worlds. We should be more open minded than that and try to appreciate what they did and why they are emotionally important to other people even if they didn't mean anything to us.
Amir

« Reply #1923 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 08:12:57 »

We should be more open minded than that and try to appreciate what they did and why they are emotionally important to other people even if they didn't mean anything to us.

That would be a Brucie Bonus.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #1924 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 08:20:05 »

That would be a Brucie Bonus.
Clap
Flashheart

« Reply #1925 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 08:27:15 »

it is important for that different generation to try to understand a bit about that person (it applies to any famous person

I think that learning to understand more about Brucie would be way down on the list of important things to do. In fact, I'd recommend they skip it and do something more constructive instead.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #1926 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 08:37:11 »

Who'da thunk Brucie's death would have been so contentious?
Or so emotionally distressing for anyone outside his immediate family.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1927 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 08:55:36 »

It must be some anniversary of the death of Diana Spencer, as rags like the Daily Mail have been full of coal raking. Now that whole thing was something I just didn't get at the time and still don't.  OST did you employ your powers of empathy  Hmmm
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #1928 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 09:05:05 »

It must be some anniversary of the death of Diana Spencer, as rags like the Daily Mail have been full of coal raking. Now that whole thing was something I just didn't get at the time and still don't.  OST did you employ your powers of empathy  Hmmm
No, definitey not. That was a very strange episode in the history of this country.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #1929 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 09:06:52 »

I think that learning to understand more about Brucie would be way down on the list of important things to do. In fact, I'd recommend they skip it and do something more constructive instead.
It's not so much that as understanding the social history of this country and how much it has changed in, say the last 50 years. It's an extremely interesting subject. The 'Brucie's' of this world are very much part of that.

Edit: Also, it only takes 5 minutes to read an obituary. There are some fascinating ones around.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 21, 2017, 09:26:46 by OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR » Logged
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #1930 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 09:26:12 »

I personally never got the Brucie love in but I fully apprecaite that many people of my age adored the bloke, I just found him a bit creepy TBH, I liked him in Bedknobs and Broomsticks though Smiley

I am a little surprised at the outlay of hatred towards Jerry Lewis online. I have a lot of female comedian friends and several are saying good riddance to him and his misogynist ways, apparently in 1998 he said on US TV (in a few interviews) that no women are funny.

I have fond memories of JL from my younger days watching his films with Dean Martin which as a 10 year old in the mid 70s I loved, but they are of a certain era.

And as OST says Celebrity Big Brother...I probably know 2 or 3 out of the 15 people on it, they mean absolutely nothing to me but can understand the reverse being true regarding Ells comments.

99% of the time if I don't like someone or what they post I ignore it and move on rather than making a negative comment about it. I don't like golf, cycling or Game of Thrones etc so instead of stating I don't like it I just don't read it or comment, simple.
« Last Edit: Monday, August 21, 2017, 09:28:58 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #1931 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 09:30:45 »

It's not so much that as understanding the social history of this country and how much it has changed in, say the last 50 years. It's an interesting subject. The 'Brucie's' of this world are very much part of that.

Kind of why I put in the Diana reference. With a bit of longevity comes the opportunity to have lived through some of these social history moments, and invariably the authors create a narrative which I don't recognise. Obvious really, as it is an impossibility to distil the thoughts and emotions of so many people, in so many transient stages of their lives.  So you end up with a cliched view, which then takes on its own currency.
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #1932 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 09:36:37 »

Kind of why I put in the Diana reference. With a bit of longevity comes the opportunity to have lived through some of these social history moments, and invariably the authors create a narrative which I don't recognise. Obvious really, as it is an impossibility to distil the thoughts and emotions of so many people, in so many transient stages of their lives.  So you end up with a cliched view, which then takes on its own currency.
Very true Reg. That whole Diana thing was different to anything else I've experienced though. She seemed to get reinvented in death and became popular in a way she never was when alive. Not even close. Surreal.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #1933 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 10:28:30 »

It's not so much that as understanding the social history of this country and how much it has changed in, say the last 50 years. It's an extremely interesting subject. The 'Brucie's' of this world are very much part of that.

Edit: Also, it only takes 5 minutes to read an obituary. There are some fascinating ones around.

I think that the Brucies of the world hark back to a by-gone era that will only be recognisable to many of certain generations, and also due to later revelations Forsyth is especially important to them as he remains unsullied unlike many of that generation (I do wonder whether we will be reading similar allegations about present day 'celebrities' in say 2050?) Also with Forsyth his appeal appears to have crossed generations with things like Strictly making his popular with a whole new generation and his material being less 'controversial' than others of the past and thus palatable to modern tastes, albeit full of cheese? It has been interesting to see so many who got all a lather when Bowie died (often despite showing no apparent interest in him when he was alive) berating people expressing regret regarding Forsyth but I suppose that's fashion for you - the wish to appear cool to your mates never goes?

As for Diana that was (and remains) just odd (IMO), albeit I suppose driven by certain parts of the media who have concentrated on her, mortgages, house prices and promoting paranoia about anything different. In 1997 the sudden decision to play nothing but ambient music on the radio for a week after she died was plain weird (I was erecting a marquee for the Naturist Caravan Club of Great Britain's yearly rally all that week and thus it rather sticks in my mind) and the funeral strange (I did draw the line when my mate turned up at ours on the Saturday morning of the funeral to watch it on the TV with a crate of beer, like we were watching the football) but it and the whole 'peoples princess' thing obviously struck a cord with some.

Never really got grief for people you didn't know but we are all different I suppose, there has been a certain humour this weekend as most of the media don't seem to understand that Jerry Lewis and Jerry Lee Lewis are different people!  
Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #1934 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 10:28:36 »

I personally never got the Brucie love in but I fully apprecaite that many people of my age adored the bloke, I just found him a bit creepy TBH, I liked him in Bedknobs and Broomsticks though Smiley

I am a little surprised at the outlay of hatred towards Jerry Lewis online. I have a lot of female comedian friends and several are saying good riddance to him and his misogynist ways, apparently in 1998 he said on US TV (in a few interviews) that no women are funny.

I have fond memories of JL from my younger days watching his films with Dean Martin which as a 10 year old in the mid 70s I loved, but they are of a certain era.

And as OST says Celebrity Big Brother...I probably know 2 or 3 out of the 15 people on it, they mean absolutely nothing to me but can understand the reverse being true regarding Ells comments.

99% of the time if I don't like someone or what they post I ignore it and move on rather than making a negative comment about it. I don't like golf, cycling or Game of Thrones etc so instead of stating I don't like it I just don't read it or comment, simple.

Well put, PV. At least Brucie had a talent, whether you liked him or not, but people seem to become celebrities these days with no talent whatsoever, and yet youngsters aspire to be like them. I don't get it.

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
Pages: 1 ... 126 127 128 [129] 130 131 132 ... 339   Go Up
Print
Jump to: