Pages: 1 ... 218 219 220 [221] 222 223 224 ... 340   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 'Who's snuffed it now?'  (Read 1366436 times)
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #3300 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 17:16:32 »

"I want my hand back."

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Hunk

« Reply #3301 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 17:30:17 »

Before Messi and Ronaldo came along he was probably the best player of all time. Absolute genius
donkey
Cheers!

He headed a football.

Ignore
« Reply #3302 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 17:36:42 »

Before Messi and Ronaldo came along he was probably the best player of all time. Absolute genius

Still is, in my opinion.

donkey tells the truth

I headed the ball.

eeeeeeeeeeeeeee-aaaaaaaawwwwwww
Hunk

« Reply #3303 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 18:38:41 »

Still is, in my opinion.

Quite possibly. His talent was unreal
Ginginho

Ignore
« Reply #3304 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 19:53:41 »

What a fucking player, one of the most exciting players ever and probably the best player to ever play the game. RIP.

It was 50-50 who would go first, him or Gazza.
swindonmaniac

Ignore
« Reply #3305 on: Wednesday, November 25, 2020, 21:31:53 »

Diego Maradona, apparently.
He didn't cheat that one.

Life is a Rollercoaster - Just gotta ride it.
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #3306 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 00:31:37 »

It’s a shame players like Pele, Best and Maradona never played in today’s modern football era.

Part of me feels these players played in a era where football standards were arguably not as high/good as they are now (ie players used to have alcohol before matches and after a training session players would go out on the lash in the afternoon). You wouldn’t see Ronaldo  (CR7) or most top professional football players do that now a days.  Food, drink and training are more properly managed these days.

Then again back in the day there were a lot more fierce tackles flying around so who is to say the top modern footballers like Ronaldo and Messi could have coped with that.

Ignore
« Reply #3307 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 07:41:33 »

Surprised he got to 60 to be honest. Definately the best ever footballer of all time for me. Unbelievable talent. I was more pissed off with Shilton at the world cup for not getting out to him than a genius taking a liberty. Never really liked Shilton, as he always blamed his defence and was slow to react and not very agile in my opinion. Same at the 1990 world cup.
Cheltred

Ignore
« Reply #3308 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 08:15:12 »

Surprised he got to 60 to be honest. Definately the best ever footballer of all time for me. Unbelievable talent. I was more pissed off with Shilton at the world cup for not getting out to him than a genius taking a liberty. Never really liked Shilton, as he always blamed his defence and was slow to react and not very agile in my opinion. Same at the 1990 world cup.
There are those who say Shilton was overrated as a keeper. What pissed  me off about Maradona was not so much the handball but the crap he came out with about the "Hand of god", implying he was above the laws
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #3309 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 08:21:53 »

I blame Steve Hodge, whose ridiculous skied clearance/backpass set up the chance for Maradona.

Tout ce que je sais de plus sûr à propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Flashheart

« Reply #3310 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 08:24:02 »

I blame Steve Hodge, whose ridiculous skied clearance/backpass set up the chance for Maradona.

Put it on a plate for him.
RedRag

Ignore
« Reply #3311 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 08:46:15 »

It’s a shame players like Pele, Best and Maradona never played in today’s modern football era.

Part of me feels these players played in a era where football standards were arguably not as high/good as they are now (ie players used to have alcohol before matches and after a training session players would go out on the lash in the afternoon). You wouldn’t see Ronaldo  (CR7) or most top professional football players do that now a days.  Food, drink and training are more properly managed these days.

Then again back in the day there were a lot more fierce tackles flying around so who is to say the top modern footballers like Ronaldo and Messi could have coped with that.
Two very good points on the challenges of comparisons between eras, StefPol.  

A man of los barrios, he totemically represented Boca Juniors and Napoli (rather than River Plate or Juventus) and (unlike Messi for eg) starred in a World Cup.

On the field, he was a 5'5" block of granite who combined trickery with durability, along with that spellbinding Latin American darkness.  Off the field, he seems to have shared much with the likes of Gazza and Best.  RIP.

Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #3312 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 09:06:27 »

Shilton was certainly agile when the Sun caught him shagging a woman in his car down a country lane😁

So, give no fucks
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #3313 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 09:26:40 »

One of my favourite tweets was when Shilton posted this image and someone replied "Pity you couldn't punch that high in 1986."  Cheesy

tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #3314 on: Thursday, November 26, 2020, 09:49:30 »

Pages: 1 ... 218 219 220 [221] 222 223 224 ... 340   Go Up
Print
Jump to: