Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Long throws  (Read 2574 times)
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 19:26:44 »

i think all our problems at the moment can be put down to a complete lack of movement: people panicing on the ball as no one gives the easy option, not good enough movement to link up with the strike force.

our set pieces highlight this quite well. you'd think it'd be easy to sort out a throw in wouldn't you?

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 19:31:00 »

is he going to be our new manager?

Not a bad shout...must be approaching the end of his time, and we got Ardiles off Blackburn.
flammableBen

« Reply #17 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 20:12:45 »

I'm pretty certain that is one of the reasons we don't get more goals from them - they are far too high and need to be flatter. The other reason being they should be thrown at a pack of our tallest players, rather than just random.

As for so many other things at the moment, this is just down to extremely poor tactics from the manager and you can't blame the players.

Well yeah. But does Morirson have the ability to do a better throw? I mean it must be harder to get the distance without the loop factor.

But I agree that we didn't exactly make the best of them as they are.
jonny72

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 20:57:42 »

But does Morirson have the ability to do a better throw? I mean it must be harder to get the distance without the loop factor.

I'm guessing that he probably hasn't put in that much time in training working on his throws. He already has a lot of power and with some targeted work in the gym building up his arms more and on the training ground working on the technique I reckon there is the potential for a lot of improvement.

Given that the best defences in the country can't cope with Delap's throws, I reckon it would be well worth the time and effort getting it will take for him to perfect them. I'm sure he can as well - the distance he was getting on some of them at the weekend was incredible and he didn't even look like he was trying.
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 21:47:38 »

The thing is everybodys being negative about the long throw,i agree on saturday keep launching it at Peacock was shite...but on the plus side his throwing the ball from deep defensive areas is a big plus,plus Morrison hits more passes in a single match than Aljofree and Ifill does in a season....Ime sure Cardiff only baught Comminges for his bombs into the area.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #20 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 23:21:49 »

The long throw is a good weapon. The bad news is that we are totally incapable of making it look good in the same way as we are shit at corners, free kicks etc. - whether we're attacking or defending. The good news is that Morrison has the makings of a decent player and his long throw will grab the attention of some.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 23:27:29 »

Our free kicks weren't all so bad on Saturday.

Shame about every other game.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #22 on: Monday, December 22, 2008, 23:42:12 »

Well one goal from a free kick is a good start. Shame we conede more than we score. It was nice thuogh of the Yeovil kepper to give us 2 on Saturday. Shame we gave them 3.
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday, December 23, 2008, 01:22:46 »

Not a bad shout...must be approaching the end of his time, and we got Ardiles off Blackburn.

woo it was noticed. thank you reg Embarrassed

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Lumps

« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, December 23, 2008, 09:30:51 »

When was the last time we were any good at set pieces?

I've a feeling it was back when Messrs Taylor and Bodin were in the side and they were being coached by someone that actually had some coaching ability.
Dozno9

« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, December 23, 2008, 10:39:59 »

When was the last time we were any good at set pieces?

I've a feeling it was back when Messrs Taylor and Bodin were in the side and they were being coached by someone that actually had some coaching ability.

Looooooong ago. I remember when Taylor was out most threatening at set pieces and now, dog shit.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, December 23, 2008, 12:00:22 »

Taylor or Bodin scored more in that one season than our midfield have scored for bloody ages.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, December 23, 2008, 13:09:04 »

It was probably more down to Taylor sticking his head in places most people wouldn't put their feet and Bodin taking a lot of penalties.  You don't get players like Taylor very often, he'd have headed the defender if he thought it would cause a connection with the ball.  Our main attacking set piece problem seems to be a lack of variation.  Sometimes they look ok but when it's not working we don't change.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: