Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Who is the most overated  (Read 8065 times)
Dazzza

« Reply #75 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 14:19:14 »

Those Kings of Leon, I don't mind their latest ditty on the wireless and even have a sing song in the car but they’re the music equivalent of cottage cheese.  Rather bland and consumed by the obese wanting to lose weight.

Oasis have never re-captured those first two glorious albums and the more stuff they release the further away they seem to get from ever doing it again.

I’m also torn about Nirvana.  Hugely charismatic band that brought a genre to the mainstream but they were far from ever being original or way ahead of the game.  I still listen to the odd album and I have to agree with Jack Osbourne they’re a great band and old pulped face was a cracking writer but their fan boys calling them the greatest thing since the A Team both back then and now make my eyeballs itchy.

Lou Reid, at times he’s pure genius but at others it’s pure shite.

The above all said I’ve always struggled to purely just listen to music and appreciate it at that aesthetic level.  What tinkles my bell is when a track encapsulates a moment in time, an even or a person and no matter how shite it sticks with me and I usually end up enjoying a lot of their other work.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 15:40:36 by Dazzza » Logged

Rich Pullen

« Reply #76 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 14:28:52 »

I think Kings of Leon have be thrown into the deep end by the UK a little bit. They are a great band, but they've suddenly become massive without massively improving and are still unable to crack the United States (not that it matters but their sound really should have by now). Their first 2 albums, in my opinion, are infinately better than the next two. Their current effort is quite forgettable, I like it but it isn't as music changing as many would like you to think.

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 14:32:38 »

manic street preachers.pink floyd.oasis(although i do like them)
but to be fair if bands-artists shift records and have huge fan bases then its only a matter of personal choice if you see them as overated.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 14:37:15 »

the manics are class.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 14:43:24 »

Lou Reid, at times he’s pure genius but at others it’s pure shite.

Reid I'd put in the 6-8 category of top tunes...maybe 5 top tunes with the Velvets and 3 on his own. Champions League aspirant, but only one win with Perfect Day.

Nothing much for 30 odd years.
sonic youth

« Reply #80 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 14:55:36 »

the manics are class.
damn right

listened to the holy bible last night driving home from oxford, brilliant album
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 15:17:13 »

I'm also torn about Nirvana.  Hugely charismatic band that brought a genre to the mainstream but they were far from ever being original or way ahead of the game.  I still listen to the odd album and I have to agree with Jack Osbourne they're a great band and old pulped face was a cracking writer but their fan boys calling them the greatest thing since the A Team both back then and now make my eyeballs itchy.

On the topic of Nirvana, they're probably my favourite band and definitely shaped my music tastes in my early teens. I still listen to their music quite regularly (I'm listening to them now infact) but I'm not a huge fanboy and won't go telling people they're the best band ever etc. I just see them as a personal preference.

This thread's quite subjective really, someone's overrated band can be somebody elses favourite. It's all down to individuals tastes.
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 16:10:15 »

Radiohead......lets all slit our wrists.
Wrong. You didn't listen close enough.

Prime example: 'In Rainbows', an album of love songs.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 16:27:02 »

I'd agree with radiohead. I just dont get it

Things get better but they never get good
Rich Pullen

« Reply #84 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 16:29:37 »

I once shared a room with a friend who'd always have some lass break his heart and he'd listen to Radiohead all fucking night long. Ruined my danger wank focus Cheesy
Barry Scott

« Reply #85 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 16:42:16 »

I only posted Nirvana and Oasis for fishings sake, i actually really like Nirvana, or did, (Aneurysm is one of my favourite guitar music tunes ever) and think Oasis are ok, but i'd never buy an album of theirs.

I happen to love The Foo Fighters, or loved their first 2 albums, but all i've chanced a hear of lately, or post The Colour and The Shape, has been weak. So they could be considered overrated? Although i do thing they're the bollocks still. Smiley
adje

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 16:51:29 »

A lot of bands can maybe produce 3 or 4 top quality tunes, which guarantees you mid table obscurity for life if you want it.....a few like Squueze produced maybe 2, which confines you to being the Rochdale of the music world.

If you can produce, say 8 to 10, then this puts you up there with the likes of Abba....Champions League regulars.

I once heard a radio interview with John Lennon, in which he said he thought he and Macca had only written one decent song....Day in the Life.

Abba

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Rich Pullen

« Reply #87 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 16:53:21 »

I once heard a radio interview with John Lennon, in which he said he thought he and Macca had only written one decent song....Day in the Life.

Mr. Lennon was probably being a bit of a knobhead that day then Smiley
adje

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 16:54:42 »

the manics are class.

I agree-the only band that can still write a decent protest song

quot;Molten memories splashing down
 upon the rooves of Swindon Town"
Barry Scott

« Reply #89 on: Tuesday, October 28, 2008, 16:55:36 »

Abba

Fuck off, Abba are the shit. Did i just say that? Oh... I'll get back in my closet.  Embarrassed
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: