Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 17   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ramos sacked  (Read 29516 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 10:16:51 »

All he was saying is that without the selling of players we won't break even, so I guess the adver story isn't incorrect really. But it's nothing new. If the right offer comes in we have to sell because we are forecast to make a sizeable loss this year . It's no different from any other season or from any other club.

At the AGM he said similar to 'the ideal is to bring youngsters through, play them and sell at the right time for the right price/conditions, ideally bringing through 4, keeping 2 and selling 2' - the right conditions includes a healthy sell on clause. In face we apparently turned down a 'big clubs' advances for a player because they wouldn't agree the right deal regarding sell on/appearances/etc.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 11:28:58 »

Just to give some idea of the cost of changing your management team can cost, in this case it's costing Spurs approx 24 mill....5 mill in compensation to Pompey 10 mill to pay up contract of Ramos and Poyet, then 9 mill in in wages over 3 years to Redknapp.

Of course in the case of STFC, the numbers wouldn't be so great, but it is an expensive business which the Malpas out brigade need to consider.

Reg - you might be double counting the contract/Redknapps wages there - they were committed to the ramos/Poyet contract if they hadn't changed the team.

I do agree it's an expensive exercise though and certainly needs to be taken into account.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 11:38:41 »

Having seen Gomes' last two performances, what price David James to Spurs in Jan?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 11:44:36 »

Having seen Gomes' last two performances, what price David James to Spurs in Jan?

Having seen Gomes last two performances, I'd say he makes Calamity look like Schmichael.

I wouldn't rule out a bid to bring Defoe back to the Yids either.
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 11:59:31 »

Having seen Gomes last two performances, I'd say he makes Calamity look like Schmichael.

I wouldn't rule out a bid to bring Defoe back to the Yids either.

Thats going to be some right shitty business if they did buy defoe back, no doubt for twice what they sold him for
Dazzza

« Reply #125 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 12:20:14 »

Old Ruddy face is a loon to be ditching Portsmouth for the Yids.  I think he’ll do a decent job and dig them out of the mire but regardless of the league they’re in I can’t see him being flavour of the month for to long the season after. 

If I were Pompey right now I’d get on the blower to Ramos and offer him the manager’s job.  He’s dropped a couple of bollocks no doubt at Spurs and picked up a few more but he’s a class above in the managerial stakes and Portsmouth maybe right up his street.

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 12:36:20 »

Reg - you might be double counting the contract/Redknapps wages there - they were committed to the ramos/Poyet contract if they hadn't changed the team.

I do agree it's an expensive exercise though and certainly needs to be taken into account.

Fair point...today's news though does seem to back up the point though, that the Board aren't inclined to to pay up MM and co, and bring in new management...if MM does go, then Byrne/ Williams with possibly an upgrade of Bodin it will be.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 13:25:28 »

Liverpool and Chelsea have been way more successful than Arsenal recently, champions league wins and premiership wins are a lot better than scraping into the top 4.

Which still isnt as much as Wenger has won at Arsenal is it?

Chelsea - 2 Premierships
Liverpool - 0 Premierships
Arsenal - 3 Premierships
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 13:54:25 »

Which still isnt as much as Wenger has won at Arsenal is it?

Chelsea - 2 Premierships
Liverpool - 0 Premierships
Arsenal - 3 Premierships

Champions league counts for 4 premierships.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 13:55:21 »

I reckon 5 at least

/
W56196272
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #130 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 13:59:17 »

Champions league counts for 4 premierships.

Thanks for making me laugh.

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 15:03:04 »

Wenger is a great manager and has achived a lot given Arsenals inability to match man u and chelseas spending in the last 10 years.

He'd annoy the piss out of me if I were an Arsenal fan though. By all accounts he does now have money to spend since the move to the emirates generates huge amounts of money nad he wont spend it because of his youth philosophy.  I dont think there is anyone better at taking a raw talent and making them world class (yes he does pay decent money for some of them) but its there for all to see that they could be a better side if he spent money on a hard working partner for fabregas and a classy cerntre back.  As it stands their squad is not deep enough and their players lack experience. they wont win anything this year, but they'll play some fantastic football at times.

spot on.
most arsenal fans see it how you do.they wont slate wenger even though they'd like him to buy players for big prices.they see him as having done so much good for arsenal they accept his way of running the club.
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 15:23:00 »

Thing is they wouldnt need to even spend that much by modern premiership standards.

With the undoubted quality of Arsenals scouting system they surely must be able to identify a good quality defensive midfielder and centre back for £10m each.  liverpool spent £7m on Skrtl who is pretty good and United spent about the same on Vidic who is excellent.  Instead he signs Silvestre because he was cheap (and french!) despite the fact he is clearly mediocre at that level.

So basically it is because of Wenger that they are a member of the big 4, but at the moment they are also not going to win anything because of him either. They have a small and young team who are going to get bullied into losing at points this season, in the past they could field Viera and petit who could both play, yet were physical too. currently they have Fabregas who is clearly ace and denilson who is not bad but very similar to fabregas.  Even last season Flamini was an excellent athlete who put in a lot of work and wasnt afraid to tackle.

here endeth the poinless post about arsenal.  slow day
Scot Munroe

« Reply #133 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 17:16:27 »

i think Wenger will splash a bit of the cash in the January transfer window for Kolo Toure brother Yaya from Barcelona. The Board has said to Wenger the money is the there to spend it.
Spencer_White

« Reply #134 on: Monday, October 27, 2008, 17:54:18 »

Looks like Pompey are going for Tony Adams.

Should have gone back for Avram Grant.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 ... 17   Go Up
Print
Jump to: