Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sad news - former town chairman dies  (Read 9471 times)
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« on: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 08:52:58 »

A friend has just told me that former Swindon Town Chairman Brian Hillier has passed away, it was all very sudden, he had a brain haemorrhage last night and didn't recover.

Personally I'm upset about the news, thoughts with Simon and the rest of the Hillier family.

RIP Brian.

(If you have nothing pleasant to say about the bloke please ignore this thread and do not leave a comment.)
« Last Edit: Friday, October 24, 2008, 09:20:52 by janaage » Logged
leefer

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 09:14:41 »

Very sad.....never really recovered from being sent to prison....was good times with Macari until the tax debacle..RIP.
STFC4LIFE
Fence Fucker

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 09:36:29 »

RIP
Phil_S

Who changed my Avatar ?!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 10:23:10 »

Reading Lou's book lou is of the opinion that he was very poorly treated by the authorities.  He certainly wasn't lookong to line his own pockets unlike some who have run the club more recently

From the Dark Side
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #4 on: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 10:28:06 »

Condolances to his family, he was chairman at a time when the club needed a boost which it got with him in charge.

As stated above he was a bit unfairly treated in the case going away for what tons of other Chairmen of clubs have done...but unfortunatly he was caught.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 10:55:54 »

I was talking to someone earlier about the whole affair (after telling him this news), he told me exactly what we were done for, then he told me what Spurs and Hartlepool did and the punishment they were given (which was minute in comparison) and then let off.

Hillier was a made a scapegoat, sent down, served his time and rebuilt his life.  I have a lot of time for him and his family.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #6 on: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 10:57:54 »

What he did, he did for the benefit of STFC - no personal gain. He got caught doing what just about everyone else did. Without him I'm not sure we'd have started the ball rolling to ur succesful years.
RIP.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 11:00:13 »

Those are my thoughts exactly Chalkie, without Brian the "glory years" of the late 80's and early 90's may not have happened.  The bloke should be given more credit than he is by town fans, instead of making him out to be the root cause of all our problems.
ghanimah

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 11:00:32 »

I was talking to someone earlier about the whole affair (after telling him this news), he told me exactly what we were done for, then he told me what Spurs and Hartlepool did and the punishment they were given (which was minute in comparison) and then let off.

Hillier was a made a scapegoat, sent down, served his time and rebuilt his life.  I have a lot of time for him and his family.

Indeed

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/low/wales/1279300.stm

Condolences to Brian's family

"We perform the duties of freemen; we must have the privileges of freemen ..."
JOHNNY REEVES

« Reply #9 on: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 11:06:59 »

i,ll never forget going to chesterfield on a friday night only for the game to get cancelled untill 3pm saturday due to floodlight issues.Us fans inside the ground weren,t too pleased but lou and brian came over and said anyone who wanted to come straight back up in the morning would get free travel.They were true to thier word and back we went saturday for another win great days!
bullethead

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 11:07:30 »

Yes, sad news and condolences to his family.

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 11:15:49 »

rip.he backed macari with funds for players and we had some great times with him as chairman.i dont give a fuck if he was a bit dodgy with payments etc.he was a scapegoat, and the unlucky one to get caught.
shearer

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 11:34:03 »

Totally agree with the messages so far - I am grateful to the guy for being responsible for some amazing moments early in my swindon supporting career.

RIP Brian
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 11:38:26 »

I have contacted the club about this, not sure if anything will be said on Saturday about his passing, I think there should, but it's up to his family and the club to decide.
Spencer_White

« Reply #14 on: Thursday, October 23, 2008, 11:47:15 »

End of the day he did help engineer one of the best teams weve ever had.

Hope there is some kind of remembrance at Town for the bloke.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 6   Go Up
Print
Jump to: