Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town Centre  (Read 48570 times)
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: Friday, September 8, 2017, 20:53:57 »

Never met the bloke but that there Gary Perkins comes across as a frecin twat imo.
It's not an impression that improves up close.
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: Saturday, September 9, 2017, 00:01:50 »

Reg missed blaming the tories for the Stratton bank not having a roof.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 18:41:58 »

You'll have to excuse my ignorance here but what works are being carried out in the Town Centre?
Specifically the roads by the train station & where Debenhams used to be?
Not from Swindon but when I ventured into the TC before the Doncaster game I obviously couldn't help noticing how quiet it was as a result of all the renovation work.
I've read on here about the new bus station but it can't just be that.

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #228 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 18:43:30 »

The bus boulevard 
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #229 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 18:46:21 »

The bus boulevard 
All the office space in the area looked out of use (admittedly it was the weekend) so I thought there may be some demolition planned.
Is the bus boulevard going to be across a larger area than the current station then?

Private Fraser

Ignore
« Reply #230 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 19:00:02 »

All the office space in the area looked out of use (admittedly it was the weekend) so I thought there may be some demolition planned.
Is the bus boulevard going to be across a larger area than the current station then?

https://www.swindon.gov.uk/info/20136/transport_strategy/1089/fleming_way_improvements
@MacPhlea

Ignore
« Reply #231 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 20:46:46 »

They’re going knock down all the shops and make half of Swindon town centre a bus station and the other half a pay and display car park… or at least that seems to be the sole town centre regeneration objective of the council
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #232 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 21:08:15 »

converting shops to flats too.
4D

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #233 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 22:05:31 »

Empty buses then.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #234 on: Monday, February 20, 2023, 22:45:08 »

Vodafone announced the closure of their Newbury HQ - given Zurich are consolidating into the single new building, I imagine now is not a good time to be in Commercial Real Estate with office blocks on your hands, or retail for that matter.  Most of them remain empty because they simply retain use to bolster Balance Sheets I guess.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #235 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 07:19:35 »

Cheers mate.

derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #236 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 07:52:11 »

I walked through the town centre at Christmas when i visited my dad, The town centre and most of the town has fallen to a state of dystopia, mis managed, lack of investment whatever. its pawn shops and bookies, boarded up windows. Walkabout used to be ok, but its called the liquor lounge?? (I imagine that is shut now)

It's quite bad, a shame 
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #237 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 08:08:57 »

I walked through the town centre at Christmas when i visited my dad, The town centre and most of the town has fallen to a state of dystopia, mis managed, lack of investment whatever. its pawn shops and bookies, boarded up windows. Walkabout used to be ok, but its called the liquor lounge?? (I imagine that is shut now)

It's quite bad, a shame 
Most town centres have been on decline for decades and are similarly stocked, although the bottom end of town has been in an appaling state for years.

Replacing the offices with residential means that footfall will increase making it more viable for shops, bars, restaurants etc to locate there.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #238 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 08:21:47 »

It's quite bad, a shame 

Yeah I mentioned this the last home game I went to, we walked from the Glue Pot through the town and it was what I imagine a zombie apocolypse might be like. Seemingly the only services available in that part of town were for people that Vape, gamble or drink alcohol. The old Debenhams building looming over the area like a degenerate God.

It sounds like the regeneration is going to take quite a while, that bus bit is slated for completion autumn next year. It's not even remotely comparable for lots of reasons but when we lived in London the Battersea Power Station regeneration seemed to happen almost overnight, it's pretty sad that places outside of the capital seem to take so long to get anything done about them for one reason or another.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Pookemon

Ignore
« Reply #239 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 08:48:15 »

Yeah I mentioned this the last home game I went to, we walked from the Glue Pot through the town and it was what I imagine a zombie apocolypse might be like. Seemingly the only services available in that part of town were for people that Vape, gamble or drink alcohol. The old Debenhams building looming over the area like a degenerate God.

It sounds like the regeneration is going to take quite a while, that bus bit is slated for completion autumn next year. It's not even remotely comparable for lots of reasons but when we lived in London the Battersea Power Station regeneration seemed to happen almost overnight, it's pretty sad that places outside of the capital seem to take so long to get anything done about them for one reason or another.
Think you may be looking a bit rose tinted.  They only finished the battersea project towards the back end of last year.      Phase 1 completed in 2017 and took 4 years.

Not defending our councils record though, it took them 2 years to remove a roundabout on mead way.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: