Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Swindon Town Centre  (Read 48887 times)
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #240 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 09:00:01 »

I walked through the town centre at Christmas when i visited my dad, The town centre and most of the town has fallen to a state of dystopia, mis managed, lack of investment whatever. its pawn shops and bookies, boarded up windows. Walkabout used to be ok, but its called the liquor lounge?? (I imagine that is shut now)

It's quite bad, a shame  

As is pretty much every town centre in England, not sure who you think should be managing it, but with the changes in the PD rules there is even less that Councils can do through the planning system. Ultimately its up to freeholders what they do with their properties and at the moment many seem to be struggling to come up with solutions and are just sitting on their hands hoping for th9ings to miraculously change for the better.

Main issue is people now buy stuff online so bricks and mortar retailing is dying on its arse, I know I bang on about this a lot but its no different to post offices/pubs etc people don't use them, then moan like fuck when they close.

With the changes in PD from office/retail to residential as noted above the big coming change is that town centres are going to become much more residential based, so going back to how they historically were, and whilst there will be a degree of revitalisation of trade/leisure etc to service that, town centres as we grew up with them have pretty much gone.

What the Councils can do is to embrace this and use the radical changes to make towns generally more accessible/attractive/safer for pedestrians/cyclists etc, we need to depend less on cars in this country, other countries have managed it so don't understand why its such a non starter over here.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 09:03:29 by horlock07 » Logged
derbystfc

Ignore
« Reply #241 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 11:34:04 »

I moved to Swindon in 2005, and the council published a 50 point plan for the town centre. I moved out of Swindon in 2010.

it's now 2023, how much of that 50 point plan has been done? have no idea but I'm sure it's a pretty low number.
Posh Red
Posh by name, Posh by nature

Ignore
« Reply #242 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 13:05:18 »

I've never lived in Swindon, but a few years back we came down and stayed for a couple of nights to go to a show at the Wyvern, watch the Town play & go to the Ice Hockey.

My other half, who is originally from Poole, actually thought the |Town centre was ok, in fact she said much nicer than Poole is.

I do wonder if its just a case of people not being able to see beyond the warts of their own Town
sir windon

Ignore
« Reply #243 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 13:09:43 »

Yeah I mentioned this the last home game I went to, we walked from the Glue Pot through the town and it was what I imagine a zombie apocolypse might be like. Seemingly the only services available in that part of town were for people that Vape, gamble or drink alcohol. The old Debenhams building looming over the area like a degenerate God.

It sounds like the regeneration is going to take quite a while, that bus bit is slated for completion autumn next year. It's not even remotely comparable for lots of reasons but when we lived in London the Battersea Power Station regeneration seemed to happen almost overnight, it's pretty sad that places outside of the capital seem to take so long to get anything done about them for one reason or another.
We're a decent place to be in the case of a zombie apocalypse apparently...
https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/23323522.swindon-ranked-among-best-places-survive-zombie-apocalypse/
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #244 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 14:10:30 »

I do wonder if its just a case of people not being able to see beyond the warts of their own Town

That, or Poole is a massive shit hole from hell
--
Swindon's shop offering has declined massively in the last 2-3 years

To be fair, Swindon's problems are far from unique. But at the same time, if I had a choice I'd rather shop at the last place I lived near. Basingstoke.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #245 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 14:25:48 »

But at the same time, if I had a choice I'd rather shop at the last place I lived near. Basingstoke.

That feels very telling of how bad Swindon Town centre is. I always found Basingstoke, whilst practical, very uninspiring and soulless; maybe that's the point you are making that you'd rather spend time there than in Swindon. The Anvil is an ok venue though but again, nothing from the outside of it to really wow anybody.

The joys of a nodnoL commuter town ey  Wink

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #246 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 14:44:46 »

Genuinly just prefer Basingstoke centre to our own - more modern precinct. They used to have a slightly worse shop selection, but they did have a cinema and restaurants which I used to live 10 minutes walk from.

I hoped regents circus would promote a similar vibe and resurgence, but it just died on its arse.

To be fair I've not been back to Basingstoke for 2 or 3 years, it could be barren now too.

Old Basingstoke was a soulless hellhole of shite when we first moved there. They knocked down a massive area of the centre and started again. Festival place was opened in 2002.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 14:46:59 by Batch » Logged
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #247 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 15:11:20 »

Regents circus has the potential to be a good social hub. A few of the restaurants have shut and I think it’s now just Nando’s, cinema and boom battle bar. Anyone know if there are plans for any new restaurants in there?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #248 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 15:19:59 »

Anyone know if there are plans for any new restaurants in there?

No. So many have been and gone I guess viability is a bit suspect
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #249 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 15:27:58 »

No. So many have been and gone I guess viability is a bit suspect
I thought that may be the case. It’s a shame as with all the units filled it looks like a buzzing, vibrant area. I suppose there are quite a few competing restaurants in the adjacent area.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #250 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 15:30:24 »

People I know that used the restaurants complained that they were too expensive but anything nice is always going to be costly it just depends on what you want and can afford.

So, give no fucks
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #251 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 18:58:08 »

People I know that used the restaurants complained that they were too expensive but anything nice is always going to be costly it just depends on what you want and can afford.

Anywhere in the € zone or the $ zone is expensive in relative terms. I’m currently in SA. Fuck me, cheap? You’ve no idea unles you’ve been here. Teneriffe in the winter? Benidorm? No way Hose. This is the place to get an air B&B for six months.
molepar

Ignore
« Reply #252 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 19:04:35 »

Anywhere in the € zone or the $ zone is expensive in relative terms. I’m currently in SA. Fuck me, cheap? You’ve no idea unles you’ve been here. Teneriffe in the winter? Benidorm? No way Hose. This is the place to get an air B&B for six months.
What are the going rates like for the staples like beer, food etc?
Bennett
No Comment

Ignore
« Reply #253 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 19:12:58 »

From memory they were all chains, or at least have online menus...I am always amazed people complain at prices

This is the water.
And this is the well.
Drink full and descend.
The horse is the white of the eyes and dark within.
Jimmy HaveHave

Ignore
« Reply #254 on: Tuesday, February 21, 2023, 19:15:24 »

From memory they were all chains, or at least have online menus...I am always amazed people complain at prices

I think you're right they were all chains.

So, give no fucks
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: