Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: next swindon manager  (Read 33648 times)
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #210 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 15:01:25 »

Calderwood would pacify the mongs I think.

Personally I dont think his record is that great, he 's got both Northampton and forest up a divison but outspent virtually all their competitors to do so and in both cases wasnt really that convincing.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #211 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 15:04:40 »

Don't really think another CCC team would come in for CC, if he were to be sacked.

Like others I'm not 100% convinced he's the right man for the job either.  Not keen on Trollope/Lawrence either. 
Lumps

« Reply #212 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 15:09:59 »

calderwood will get sacked and fitton will move for him

Yeah that's what we need, a manager that just about scraped promotion out of League 1 and is failing in the CCC at a club with the resources of Forest, and that hasn't been popular with the fans at the previous he's managed due to his negative style of play.

And as soon as he does so badly that he's sacked he could be ours! I can hardly wait.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #213 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 15:24:41 »

I would pick Paul Tisdale over Paul Trollope.

Tisdale started at Team Bath where he achieved several promotions and a good FA Cup.

He then moved to the Conference with Exeter City... Previous boss Alex Inglethorpe had been popular, achieved the Man Utd 0-0 draw and I remember that Tisdale was greeted with the usual but in this case more understandable "who?" -

Tisdale's football playing career was not impressive (unlike Malpas). I believe Shaun Taylor and Jimmy Quinn were the two other strong candidates.

In his first season Tisdale adding valuable experience in Rob Edwards (who was too good for Conference even at his age) and they were playing some very tidy football, certainly amongst the best in the division. They knocked pOx out of the Play-Offs and lost at Wembley to Chris Blackburn and his Morecambe chums.

In his second season he made Exeter a hard team to beat, perhaps too many draws but Exeter lost only 7 times (the same as Aldershot) and got promoted at Wembley in a performance that was no better than the year before, but it was good enough against Cambridge.

He is very good at making money on players for example Jamie Mackie (£145,000) and moreso George Friend (£350,000) - more impressive is his ability to replace them with lesser known talents on the cheap.... Ryan Harley was brought in from Weston-super-Mare to replace the popular Mackie and has stepped up admirably.

I doubt he'd be welcomed with a warm embrace of the Swindon faithful, but I strongly believe he would do the business at a football club like Swindon and alongside a chairman like Andrew Fitton.

Oh and he has been known to wear a cravat!

[url width=290 height=290]http://soccerlens.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/tisdale.jpg[/url]

Soon a pipe and smoking jacket?
« Last Edit: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 15:30:16 by Rich Pullen » Logged
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #214 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 15:29:30 »

Sounds pretty similiar to Paul Trollope but without the Swindon connection.

Good track record by all accounts, continued improvement. As you said I cant help but think it will another case of 'who' if he were appointed.
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #215 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 15:33:31 »

anyone who wears a cravat is good with me!
flammableBen

« Reply #216 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 15:36:19 »

I nearly suggested him yesterday.
girlposse

« Reply #217 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 15:48:28 »

think anybody is better then the crap we have here now  Yes
Rich Pullen

« Reply #218 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 15:55:23 »

I nearly suggested him yesterday.

I just think there are only two things missing from Paul Tisdale to make him a top candidate in the eyes of the STFC fan majority

1) His lack of celebrity
2) He never played for Swindon

He's got a managerial career that has progressed more-or-less constantly, he's shrewd in the transfer market while being no mug when letting his players leave. He's worked with a shoe-string budget.... and perhaps more importantly doesn't produce dull, unattractive football (not a dig at MM because I've seen some lovely STFC moves in his time here).

He'd be my top choice if this fantasy thread turned into reality.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #219 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 15:57:02 »

Would he be able to attract decent signings or would it be a case of trying to unearth some unknown gems?  As that didn't work for Gillingham when they appointed a non-league manager.
Rustle
Prediction League Champion 2012/13

TEF World Cup Stunners Champion 2010

Ignore
« Reply #220 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 16:00:23 »

I just think there are only two things missing from Paul Tisdale to make him a top candidate in the eyes of the STFC fan majority

1) His lack of celebrity
2) He never played for Swindon

He's got a managerial career that has progressed more-or-less constantly, he's shrewd in the transfer market while being no mug when letting his players leave. He's worked with a shoe-string budget.... and perhaps more importantly doesn't produce dull, unattractive football (not a dig at MM because I've seen some lovely STFC moves in his time here).

He'd be my top choice if this fantasy thread turned into reality.

He sounds like the right type candidate,one problem tho i doubt our board have ever heard of him,so the chances of this turning to reality would be slim.
flammableBen

« Reply #221 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 16:01:20 »

Would he be able to attract decent signings or would it be a case of trying to unearth some unknown gems?  As that didn't work for Gillingham when they appointed a non-league manager.

He's no longer a non-league manager!

I think it would be a case of gems. Might be worth looking through  Exeter's signings. I'm not sure.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #222 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 16:07:44 »

I know he's not a non league manager anymore Ben, was just making the point that when Gillingham appointed their manager much was made that he was up and coming manager of the future, great potential etc. and look what happened there. 

This fella may not be non-league but he's never had the experience of managing in the third tier of the english league (or higher).  Would Fitton want to gamble on a bloke like that, when he's plan is Championship footie in 2 and a bit years?
Rich Pullen

« Reply #223 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 16:14:13 »

I think both. But many of the L1 teams that flourish don't have a team of superstars... They tend to be a driven team with a blend of youth and experience... and a quality goalscorer... that's why I feel we're not to far away from this. (under the right management)

Tisdale convinced Rob Edwards to move from Blackpool to Exeter when, without doubt he could have found a L1 or L2 club. Perhaps sensible thinking from Edwards to prolong his career but it was a era-changing move as he stayed fit, moved to midfield on occasions and also scored their goal at Wembley. He's not a superstar name I grant you but in the lower-leagues that's an impressive name.

Edwards is player-coach now and would probably take over if and when Tisdale moves on.

They've got OAP Marcus Stewart now, although he's not the goal scorer he used to be he adds valuable experience.

Mark Stimson is different... He managed the Grays Athletic gravy train (Kightly, Eastwood et al) to success and although winning the FA Trophy at Stevenage never looked like turning them into a league side.

He tried doing what Darren Ferguson did at Peterborough and fill his team with Conference players... The difference being Ferguson was bringing in genuinely good players who were going to make it in the league eventually. However, Stimson was bringing in his Stevenage defence of Fuller, Nutter and Lewis who were midtable Conference at best along with other Conference players and Football League rejects that are not up to the grade.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #224 on: Tuesday, September 30, 2008, 16:22:52 »

Good points well made Rich, good to see a well thought out argument!  (not meaning to sound patronising there - think I may have failed in my objective).  Hmmn food for thought!
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19   Go Up
Print
Jump to: