Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Malpas Debate.  (Read 6240 times)
ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 11:50:05 »

DeeVee makes good points, perhaps a touch of realism and patience is what we all need.  Some people have, no doubt, been carried away on the euphoria of the takeover when they thought there were untold millions to spend, but Andrew Fitton never promised that.  They have forked out (Simon Cox) on various players, it is now a case of getting the blend right.  My only problem is that I cannot accept performances of my team like we witnessed against Colchester and Leeds.  Defeats yes, but those performances NO!
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #76 on: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 11:54:39 »

Agree ronnie its the performances i cant accept
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 11:56:30 »

I do feel that Andrew Fitton should give MM the resources for a couple of loan signings.
I'm not convinced that would help right now - the most obvious area needing improvement is at the back, and are there really going to be any experienced defenders available who can give the leadership required at this stage of the season? What's likely to be available for loan is going to be kids on the fringes of Prem sides who need experience who won't fit the bill or (in the experienced camp) older players who can't get in Championship sides. I don't see either of those categories as helping out with what we require.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #78 on: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 12:00:48 »

It was not euphoria either, i just think it was not too much to expect a manager with expierience who's right hand men were not mediocre players forced upon him.
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 12:42:49 »

DeeVee makes good points, perhaps a touch of realism and patience is what we all need.  Some people have, no doubt, been carried away on the euphoria of the takeover when they thought there were untold millions to spend, but Andrew Fitton never promised that.  They have forked out (Simon Cox) on various players, it is now a case of getting the blend right.  My only problem is that I cannot accept performances of my team like we witnessed against Colchester and Leeds.  Defeats yes, but those performances NO!

Very true. But things have improved on the road now. MM has done a good job with that. We just need to build on that at home and if we do we'll be doing OK. Top half anyway. That's an improvement on last year so that's fine with me.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 19:26:07 »

I'm not convinced that would help right now - the most obvious area needing improvement is at the back, and are there really going to be any experienced defenders available who can give the leadership required at this stage of the season? What's likely to be available for loan is going to be kids on the fringes of Prem sides who need experience who won't fit the bill or (in the experienced camp) older players who can't get in Championship sides. I don't see either of those categories as helping out with what we require.

Paul,I fully understand what your saying,but the points that i was raising were that Fitton needs
to be more flexible.MM has frequently said that he can't bring anybody in,until players go out.He's
tried but there haven't been any takers for the likes of Pook and Sturrock.Is such a financial
straightjacket realistic and wise until january? Between now and the january transfer window we
have 16 league games,that eqates to half the season being over by then.Are you suggesting that
we go with the players that we have? Not bolstering the defence could be disasterous.

My point about Nicky Coleman in 85, was that his arrival had a dramatic effect upon the team and
upon his career.There are always players available out there,it's a question of doing your homework
and seeing if they're prepared to come,for experience or to put themselves in the 'shop window'

Simon Walton has had a major bustup with Sturrock at Plymouth and others are available.Would
he come and put himself in the 'shop window' who knows? We could also do a realistic deal upon
his wages with Plymouth,maybe a 40/60 deal? Walton can play either at Centre Half or defensive
midfielder.

Ideally we need a tough centre half who's a leader in the mould of Breckin (Forest) or Tate (Swansea).
I doubt whether we could get either,but if you don't ask, you don't get.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 19:34:28 »

On a side note,how much is in the RAF surely that would fund a loan?

/
W56196272
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 19:34:47 »

All fair points AM. No, I wasn't suggesting we absolutely must go with the players we have until then, just suggesting a reason why loans might not be the instant answer. FWIW, I'd like to think the management can get enough out of the players we have to avert the disaster - we should have enough quality in our existing players as individuals to form a solid back line as we did last season. I'm not convinced the problem is with the individuals so much as moulding them into a cohesive unit that's the issue. But, I take your point that there may well be quality out there that could improve on what we have or even if not improve on a one-to-one level, at least bring that cohesion we so obviously lack at the moment. I don't care how that's achieved tbh whether by working with the existing players or bringing in an experienced loan signing, and certainly wouldn't object to the latter if it worked. Just concerned it could end up being another individual who while of sufficient ability in his own right, joins the list of those unable to form a cohesive back four.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 19:35:10 »

On a side note,how much is in the RAF surely that would fund a loan?
About £15k, and yes we have offered if it's needed but I don't think the issue is primarily financial
Rich Pullen

« Reply #84 on: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 19:37:33 »

Simon Walton has had a major bustup with Sturrock at Plymouth and others are available.Would
he come and put himself in the 'shop window' who knows? We could also do a realistic deal upon
his wages with Plymouth,maybe a 40/60 deal? Walton can play either at Centre Half or defensive
midfielder.

Ideally we need a tough centre half who's a leader in the mould of Breckin (Forest) or Tate (Swansea).
I doubt whether we could get either,but if you don't ask, you don't get.

There's a reason Simon Walton, since leaving Leeds, has played for two clubs and been shipped off on 3 loan deals while barely playing for his full-time employees... and it ain't fitness.

We would merely rock the boat.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #85 on: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 19:43:01 »

If i was fitton and malpas asked me to fund a loan for a defender i would tell him to fuck off
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 19:47:01 »

There's a reason Simon Walton, since leaving Leeds, has played for two clubs and been shipped off on 3 loan deals while barely playing for his full-time employees... and it ain't fitness.

We would merely rock the boat.

I do realise that Rich,i was just trying to use the example of a Championship player who might be
prepared to come to STFC and put himself in the shop window.I'm sure that there are players with
better attitudes than Walton,poor example on my behalf i'm afraid  Eek

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
Rich Pullen

« Reply #87 on: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 19:54:42 »

I do realise that Rich,i was just trying to use the example of a Championship player who might be
prepared to come to STFC and put himself in the shop window.I'm sure that there are players with
better attitudes than Walton,poor example on my behalf i'm afraid  Eek

Agreed. There a plenty of players that would join us - it has to be right though... Bringing people in willy-nilly is wrong.
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 19:55:15 »

If i was fitton and malpas asked me to fund a loan for a defender i would tell him to fuck off

I wish you were Chairman it'd be ace.

/
W56196272
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #89 on: Sunday, September 21, 2008, 20:07:54 »

I would kindly say make do with the 9 defenders you already have. Politely of course yeovil
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
Print
Jump to: