Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: This World Ending Tomorrow Stuff....  (Read 11836 times)
kerry red

« Reply #45 on: Friday, October 17, 2014, 16:24:49 »

I still struggle to get my head around how this technological explosion came about over such a short period of time following centuries of slow and steady (if not stagnant) progress.

Doesn't sit well with me.
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Friday, October 17, 2014, 16:36:01 »

Money and the ability to actually build machines to test theories.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Friday, October 17, 2014, 16:55:41 »

I still struggle to get my head around how this technological explosion came about over such a short period of time following centuries of slow and steady (if not stagnant) progress.

Doesn't sit well with me.

History tells us that "progress" has never been a steady upward curve, but rather remarkable flowerings, usually chopped off by war and conflict, or surpressed by religions.

CERN is a collaboration....it's the kind of thing that European co-operation can achieve, when for the last 70 years we've been reasonably conflict free.
kerry red

« Reply #48 on: Friday, October 17, 2014, 16:59:01 »

Tis the work of the devil I tells ya!
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Friday, October 17, 2014, 17:19:52 »

Same week that Lockheed announce their new fusion reactor prototype should have solved the problem with previous efforts RE:efficiency.

That to me is when the next phase of man will start, when the first efficient fusion reactor comes online for the world at large.
stfc1975

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Friday, October 17, 2014, 18:13:37 »

What I find interesting is that a lot of scientists who were adamant there is no God are now thinking maybe there is. The more they find , the more questions it asks.
Flashheart

« Reply #51 on: Friday, October 17, 2014, 18:32:27 »

What I find interesting is that a lot of scientists who were adamant there is no God are now thinking maybe there is.

Such as?
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Friday, October 17, 2014, 18:38:53 »

What I find interesting is that a lot of scientists who were adamant there is no God are now thinking maybe there is. The more they find , the more questions it asks.

All the figures I've seen suggest that the proportion of scientists who hold a religious belief has remained fairly constant over the past 100 years. Of course some change their mind one way, some move in the other direction, but overall there's not been a significant proportional shift.
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Friday, October 17, 2014, 19:07:51 »

Such as?

I repeat Flashheart's question.

Allusions to the 'God Particle' are mere dumbing down for the layman. Minus that cop out 'Or God did it' bit in Stephen Hawking's Brief History of time, I have yet to come across any decent scientist, even those who believe in God, who will accept their final answer to a question to be 'God'. They wouldn't be scientists if they did.
stfc1975

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Friday, October 17, 2014, 19:15:20 »

Such as?

I haven't got any names at hand im afraid but I do remember reading that more Scientists are open minded of a God or Creator  as The Big Bang theory only opened up the question of what caused it and that ultimatly there is a overall force / God that created it.

I know I am not explaining myself very well
Flashheart

« Reply #55 on: Friday, October 17, 2014, 19:17:35 »

The God particle was actually originally called the 'God damn' particle, but the press at the time didn't want to print the word 'damn'. It was never actually a reference to God at all.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #56 on: Friday, October 17, 2014, 19:21:58 »

So called because the guy who first posited it's existence called it the "oh my god" particle. It has since been shortened.
kerry red

« Reply #57 on: Friday, October 17, 2014, 19:22:43 »

God schmod, I want my monkey man
ron dodgers

shaddap your face

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 09:28:23 »

I haven't got any names at hand im afraid but I do remember reading that more Scientists are open minded of a God or Creator  as The Big Bang theory only opened up the question of what caused it and that ultimatly there is a overall force / God that created it.

I know I am not explaining myself very well

go and do some research and come back to us then we can attempt to disprove it, that's science (well according to Popper anyway)
stfc1975

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Saturday, October 18, 2014, 11:25:53 »

go and do some research and come back to us then we can attempt to disprove it, that's science (well according to Popper anyway)

It's Saturday.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: