Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: This World Ending Tomorrow Stuff....  (Read 11840 times)
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, September 10, 2008, 12:34:49 »

Don't think they're actually doing any collisions today, just whizzing protons around to check it works. We're pretty safe for another month.

There is some good stuff on you tube about this. Apparently it takes weeks for the particles to reach top speed, and there is a very good chance of black holes being produced only to small to be a danger (I hope)

Have a butchers at:

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #31 on: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 21:29:38 »

I just read somewhere pointing out that should 2 cars hit each other, with each car going at 50mph then the force of the collision then the impact would be 100mph.

And so these hadrons being smashed together at the speed of light will actually impact at forces of nearly 2x the speed of light. I would post the link if I didn't close the page but it went on to explain how theoretically time travel could be achieved.

Which is deemed impossible in science (Although science accepts that nothing is neither impossible or definite). And yet they are even pushing that boundry. Scientists are also searching for the value of infinity.... is it possible for infiity to have a value/equation/formula?Huh?? Either way they are looking for it.

What is so exciting about the higgs boson for me is that, should it exist, then it will have to occupy the same time space as other particles which is theoretically impossible. This gives birth to the thought that previously unseen dimensions could be discovered which could be the single greatest scientific breakthrough in world history, this shit is absolutely mind boggling.

I have read up on this and basically they are hoping to be able to combine all of the existing theory's into one, in the way that electricity and magnetism where combined into electromagnetism many moons ago. They are looking for the equation that combines E=MC2 with everything else to get an equation that answers EVERYTHING.

But this is science, and we are humans. And so I also wonder that if we do find the Higgs Boson (The answer to EVERYTHING), how long will it be before we want to split the Higgs Boson, after all it was not that long ago that the atom was considered to be the smallest possible particle.

Yet in a hundred years or so we may be looking to smash one Higgs Boson against another. I can't wait until they true then LHC to full speed and start getting results, it wont happen quickly though as it is due to be turned on 100% until next year.
flammableBen

« Reply #32 on: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 21:37:47 »

I just read somewhere pointing out that should 2 cars hit each other, with each car going at 50mph then the force of the collision then the impact would be 100mph.

And so these hadrons being smashed together at the speed of light will actually impact at forces of nearly 2x the speed of light. I would post the link if I didn't close the page but it went on to explain how theoretically time travel could be achieved.

Which is deemed impossible in science (Although science accepts that nothing is neither impossible or definite). And yet they are even pushing that boundry. Scientists are also searching for the value of infinity.... is it possible for infiity to have a value/equation/formula?Huh?? Either way they are looking for it.

What is so exciting about the higgs boson for me is that, should it exist, then it will have to occupy the same time space as other particles which is theoretically impossible. This gives birth to the thought that previously unseen dimensions could be discovered which could be the single greatest scientific breakthrough in world history, this shit is absolutely mind boggling.

I have read up on this and basically they are hoping to be able to combine all of the existing theory's into one, in the way that electricity and magnetism where combined into electromagnetism many moons ago. They are looking for the equation that combines E=MC2 with everything else to get an equation that answers EVERYTHING.

But this is science, and we are humans. And so I also wonder that if we do find the Higgs Boson (The answer to EVERYTHING), how long will it be before we want to split the Higgs Boson, after all it was not that long ago that the atom was considered to be the smallest possible particle.

Yet in a hundred years or so we may be looking to smash one Higgs Boson against another. I can't wait until they true then LHC to full speed and start getting results, it wont happen quickly though as it is due to be turned on 100% until next year.

I'm not sure that it sounds like the most reliable of sources?

There are some interesting time dilation that they have to take into account through the measurements. It all comes from the speed that the things are travelling. Because relative to you nothing can be moving faster than the speed of light you get weird things happening under Einsteins special theory of relativity. It's all a bit odd and I'm not sure I can explain it after a few beers.

There's some crazy thought experiments that you can do, but they can mess with your head. I'll find them later.

michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 21:41:20 »

I can't get my head round this theory that the universe is infinite in size.

I suppose it's another one of those unprovable things, but I really am not having that. There must be an end somewhere.
flammableBen

« Reply #34 on: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 21:46:23 »

What theory is that?

The size of the universe is a weird one, we know quite accurately how big the observable universe is. Observable universe doesn't mean "as good as our telescopes are", it's more that because of the speed of light limit, the further we look away from us the more we're looking back in time, because of the length of time the light has gotten to reach us. This means that we can't see back past the start of the universe.

Urgh, sorry badly written.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 21:46:48 »

Sorry for that little outburst there.

I got annoyed when I read they are working on a way to investigate this whole infinity thing.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #36 on: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 21:47:11 »

Somehow Ben I just knew that you would be the first to reply, maybe that is down to the Higgs Boson.

But yeah, going faster than the speed of light is impossible. But it is really, after all is science and the entire reason that the Higgs Boson theory came about is because Einstein's theory just doesn't quite add up.

Either way the possibility of finding other dimensions is star trek stuff, even that LHC is basically a crude photon torpedo, and I'm all for that sort of stuff.
flammableBen

« Reply #37 on: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 21:51:12 »

Somehow Ben I just knew that you would be the first to reply, maybe that is down to the Higgs Boson.

But yeah, going faster than the speed of light is impossible. But it is really, after all is science and the entire reason that the Higgs Boson theory came about is because Einstein's theory just doesn't quite add up.

Either way the possibility of finding other dimensions is star trek stuff, even that LHC is basically a crude photon torpedo, and I'm all for that sort of stuff.

Oh yeah definitely. The speed of light thing is really interesting though. A lot of the stuff which comes out of it, like time dilation and length contraction, seem to be completely against common sense. But actually end up holding true when tested.

It's worth reading up on just for the mind fuck of it all. It's a shame that the wikipedia pages seem to be a giant mind fuck. There must be some proper physicist town fans on here that can explain it better.

BANGKOK RED

« Reply #38 on: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 22:07:10 »

It is a fact that time runs differently for astronauts in space than it does to NASA HQ. NASA even have to adjust their 'watches' periodically to keep time with the astronoauts.

And even NASA have no idea why.
flammableBen

« Reply #39 on: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 22:08:08 »

They do no why! That's the point.
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #40 on: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 22:12:35 »

They do no why! That's the point.

Errata.

Yeah they do know why. It's because something out there is changing the rules of time and space. which is what the LHC is all about.
flammableBen

« Reply #41 on: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 22:20:19 »

No No No No

It's not "something out there changing the rules to time and space", the time changing things are part of the "rules of time and space" as we understand them.

The LHC isn't a massive "explain everything" experiment. It's not going to suddenly print off the answers to all the mysteries of the universe. They're looking for certain things to back up, or disprove, theories that they already have. If it throws up stuff they don't know then they'll have to come up with new theories. It won't suddenly invent understanding for us.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #42 on: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 22:30:48 »

Thanks ben
BANGKOK RED

« Reply #43 on: Saturday, September 20, 2008, 22:34:51 »

I know Ben, but not really because the LHC and time space is quite profound.

It is late for me and I have been drinking and so it is difficult for me to say what I am trying to say. Yet these chappies at the LHC don't really know what will/might happen themselves.

I like Hawkins idea that they will find nothing at all, which will make them realise that they where wrong about the Higgs Boson (Or does it???).

If Hawkins is right, and there is no Higgs Boson then it blows Physics theory wide open again, they have to start from scratch and start looking into alternative theories such as the chain theory. (The Higgs is by far the most simple theory).

Anyway, I need sleep. Fact not theory.

Nite'
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Friday, October 17, 2014, 16:15:13 »

Anybody else watch the prog in the week which followed a bunch of CERN scientists, leading to the apparent discovery of the Higgs Boson....pretty amazing stuff.

I know there's a few particle freaks on here....but the super symmetry v multiverse argument is far out man.

Also I think  yesterday, a Leicester research team reckoned they might be onto some dark matter....

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/oct/16/dark-matter-detected-sun-axions

Oh, and if you want to challenge the brain....here's the prog.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04lcyzy

« Last Edit: Friday, October 17, 2014, 16:25:24 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: