Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: This World Ending Tomorrow Stuff....  (Read 11835 times)
STFC4LIFE
Fence Fucker

Ignore
« on: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 18:24:31 »

Can someone please explain to me what it is all about?
herthab
TEF Travel

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 18:26:45 »

What? Tomorrow? That's so unfair! It's payday Thursday.................

It's All Good..............
yeo

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 18:27:42 »

They are tring to recreate a block hole,its gonna suck the earth in.

/
W56196272
wheretherealredsare
Change me

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 18:29:25 »

Can I let you know on Thursday?

Scientists aim to try and solve the BIG BANG theory tomorrow. Read this from the Adver, and note the comment about STFC at the end! : http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/3654919.Secrets_from_the_dawn_of_time/

reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 18:30:26 »

Is this the thing that was on Newsnight last night? They plan to collide certain types of particle together to explain further the big bang theory (or what happened after it or soemthing)
The worry is that it could create a black hole, but the nerdy physicists involved say it will not be a problem as it will decay in 0.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000...00001 seconds
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 18:30:59 »

some scientists are starting an experiment which sends small particles crashing into each other at nearly the speed of light, some other people believe this could create a black hole which will swallow the earth.

I haven't got a clue what it's all about tbh.
Rich Pullen

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 18:33:09 »

They are not trying to create a black hole, they are looking for the 'God' particle which will explain 'MASS'.

It's hard to explain but these folks don't know WHY when you hit yourself on the head with an inflatable hammer it wont hurt but a real hammer has more mass so therefore will hurt... its all about mass and this special particle.

A black hole could be created BUT it will be microscopic and probably last for about 1 second (maybe less) the LHC website tells you all about it! This experiment is amazing!!!
flammableBen

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 18:33:58 »

It's an awesome particle physics experiment which is going to batter particles at each other to see if they can detect a Higgs Boson, which is what determins other particles mass. That's a pretty simplified version and there are other experiments going on with it, generally the whole thing is facinating.

It's got about the same chance of destroying the world as any other experiment into the unknown humanity does, sort of the same risk of Dolly the sheep turning into vampire zombie and devouring us all.

The black hole stuff sensationalism you may have read about is a bit silly, the last I read scientists had decided that it's unlikely to create a black hole, but even if it did it would be far to small to remain stable and would dissipate into Hawking radiation in an instant (sort of like a zillionth of a second or something).

Even if you're still worried, you're still probably safe tomorrow as they aren't doing any actual collisions for another month. Tomorrow is all about turning on the machine and whizzing some protons round at great speed.

It really is fascinating stuff and worth reading up on.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 18:37:10 »

Pah, the world will have ended before I've finished reading about it.
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 18:45:28 »

was reading about this the other day, lots of searching for antimatter and stuff.
Gazza's Fat Mate
Morality Robocop

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 19:15:02 »

I know what they are doing and I understand the expermint. However what I don't get is the fucking point?

Ash - "GFM Mate your like like Marmite you Love it or Hate it"
Christian Roberts " I fucking hate Marmite"
flammableBen

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 19:17:58 »

To further our understanding of the universe?
Rich Pullen

« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 19:19:36 »

However what I don't get is the fucking point?
To understand more about the universe

If they find what they're looking for they've changed what we know about physics.
Gazza's Fat Mate
Morality Robocop

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 19:20:18 »

So they are just doing it because they can. Perhaps my question was poorly worded. What are the real life benifits.

Ash - "GFM Mate your like like Marmite you Love it or Hate it"
Christian Roberts " I fucking hate Marmite"
Rich Pullen

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2008, 19:25:28 »

What are the real life benifits.

What's wrong with furthering our knowledge of the universe? Sure, it doesn't effect the everyday lives of you and me but it's pretty important that we keeping thinking and keep learning more doesn't it?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
Print
Jump to: