Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Aldershot Matchday Thread.  (Read 49959 times)
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #360 on: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 16:18:59 »

I also went for a pint in the Woolpack.  There was an old local fella in there who, quite rightly, sussed me for the sad literary tourist I was.

Did it go all quiet followed by a solitary voice telling you "Don't straaaay ooffff the  paaaath". I'd imagine it to be a bit webbed feet yocalish round there.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #361 on: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 16:20:29 »

I went to Slad once, and recognised Laurie Lee's house purely from the description he gave in the book.  True story.

I also went for a pint in the Woolpack.  There was an old local fella in there who, quite rightly, sussed me for the sad literary tourist I was.

It was probably Laurie Lee, who was given to taking the piss out of tourists.

I've only really used the Woolpack for quizzes....the team based there moved along to Rod Thomas's Foston's Ash, so haven't been in a while.
Ardiles

Stirlingshire Reds

Ignore
« Reply #362 on: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 16:25:37 »

JFW - go out and buy 'Cider with Rosie' by Laurie Lee.  It's a right rivetting read, seriously.  Laurie Lee grew up near Stroud in the 1920s & 1930s and the book is an autobiographical account of his childhood and vividly describes how rural Gloucestershire was changing at that time (advent of the motor car etc.)

If I've made it sound boring, I apologise, because it's a great book.

He wrote two further autobiographies.  As a young man he went to Spain and 'As I Walked out One Midsummer Morning' describes his travels there (on foot).  Also a great read.  He then returned and fought on the side of the Republicans in the Spanish Civil War, which he describes in 'A Moment of War', which he wrote much later and is (understandably) a lot heavier.
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #363 on: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 16:28:38 »

the last book I read was called Wags diary - I think that says it all really!  Grin

If I read that book you said would people think I was brainy?
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #364 on: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 16:37:20 »

If I read that book you said would people think I was brainy?

Only if they don't see your copy of Heat magazine hidden inside.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #365 on: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 17:04:08 »

I'm sure there's an easier way to get some intelligence inside of you JFW. Giving up on the footballers would be a good start.
Miss Angry

Ignore
« Reply #366 on: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 18:21:26 »

the last book I read was called Wags diary - I think that says it all really!  Grin

I read that, it came free with a magazine! Not my usual type of read but i really enjoyed it and thought of you the whole time for some strange reason Cheesy
I even got the follow up "wag abroad" it's really funny, you must read it! You can have my copy if you like
Bushey Boy

Ignore
« Reply #367 on: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 18:35:19 »

A lady I know turned around when her old man lost his job and said 'You cant take anything under 90k a year as I am not changing my life' when it was suggested she gota  job too she said 'me, get a job? um no'

I would bin here, wannabe wag

Luci

Fatbury's Stalker

Ignore
« Reply #368 on: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 18:52:13 »

JFW - go out and buy 'Cider with Rosie' by Laurie Lee.  It's a right rivetting read, seriously.  Laurie Lee grew up near Stroud in the 1920s & 1930s and the book is an autobiographical account of his childhood and vividly describes how rural Gloucestershire was changing at that time (advent of the motor car etc.)

If I've made it sound boring, I apologise, because it's a great book.

He wrote two further autobiographies.  As a young man he went to Spain and 'As I Walked out One Midsummer Morning' describes his travels there (on foot).  Also a great read.  He then returned and fought on the side of the Republicans in the Spanish Civil War, which he describes in 'A Moment of War', which he wrote much later and is (understandably) a lot heavier.

I remember that book from when I was younger.  Was a program on it a few years back too.  Ahh memories.
larwood
The girl least likely to.

Ignore
« Reply #369 on: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 19:01:55 »

As has been said we were awful.Still enjoyed it,was a laugh,although if we'd lost the shoot out i very much doubt i'd be saying the same thing!It has lessened the pain of going through the awfullness of Barnet last season.

I enjoyed the drumming Embarrassed Sounded as if the bloke playing it could actually play it and wasn't some 15 year old desperate for attention.And big up the Aldershot Shout chant too,nothing like a Lulu homage at a football match  Cool
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 19:03:53 by larwood » Logged

I was a small, fat child in a welfare house
There was only one thing I ever dreamed about
And fate has just
Handed it to me - whoopee
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #370 on: Wednesday, September 3, 2008, 19:53:36 »

I remember that book from when I was younger.  Was a program on it a few years back too.  Ahh memories.

I've seen a stage version of it, twas shite. and it was in a barn.
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #371 on: Thursday, September 4, 2008, 09:46:31 »

I read that, it came free with a magazine! Not my usual type of read but i really enjoyed it and thought of you the whole time for some strange reason Cheesy
I even got the follow up "wag abroad" it's really funny, you must read it! You can have my copy if you like

Oh wow thanks thats really kind - My friend brought me the book for my birthday as a joke and I read it on holiday and loved it - I even cried when her nan dies! I did see it was free with a magazine a while back and told my friends to buy it!
Miss Angry

Ignore
« Reply #372 on: Thursday, September 4, 2008, 14:45:18 »

I'll bring it to next home game n pass it onto someone who knows you Smiley
I got it to read on holiday but ended up reading it all before i left... it made me laugh out loud just as the first one did.
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #373 on: Thursday, September 4, 2008, 14:51:45 »

aww thanks!! everyone is being really kind today!
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #374 on: Thursday, September 4, 2008, 17:56:29 »

Apologies if posted before, link to the penaly shootout   http://www.livevideo.com/media/playvideo_fs.aspx?fs=1&cid=43FCC11B54744BA4A2ED87D062AD1D8E
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 [25] 26   Go Up
Print
Jump to: