Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: When Science finally creates sentient robots/computers.... / LTN  (Read 2953 times)
flammableBen

« on: Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 21:04:59 »

...should they get the same rights as humans?

Discuss
« Last Edit: Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 22:30:55 by flammableBen » Logged
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 21:06:53 »

depends on what rules they have built in to them. but as a machine they should treated as such. Their emotion is simulated and not real.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 21:09:23 »

But in a way aren't our emotions and feelings a product of our environment? You could in effect get a robot which 'learns' emotion in the same way as humans do.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 21:09:43 »

You've been watching Artificial Intelligence haven't you. 

axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 21:10:16 »

But in a way aren't our emotions and feelings a product of our environment? You could in effect get a robot which 'learns' emotion in the same way as humans do.

still not 'life' though is it.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 21:11:44 »

Or Bicentennial Man
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 21:14:44 »

No it's not, but if it starts thinking for itself then it really does become IT.

IT?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 21:16:01 »

I just removed it as it didn't make any sense.

I was trying to say it stops being AI, as there is nothing artificial about its intelligence.

Fuck knows where I got IT from
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 21:16:27 »

too many its.....arrrggggghhhh
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 21:17:11 »

Robots etc...will only get rights if they fight for them....after all slavery is still abroad in the world...just ask Septic Bladder and Cristiano Ronaldo.
flammableBen

« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 21:17:55 »

You've been watching Artificial Intelligence haven't you. 

Nope. I was just bored.

still not 'life' though is it.

If the machines have the same sentient abilities as humans (learning in reaction to environment, emotional response to environment, etc.), can you define it as "not life" because of how it works?

What if the machines are built out of organic matter. Not bits stolen from current living entities like cyborgs, but the usage of similar materials that make humans work?
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 21:18:25 »

you mean Cuntiano RoDildo?
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 21:20:46 »

Nope. I was just bored.

If the machines have the same sentient abilities as humans (learning in reaction to environment, emotional response to environment, etc.), can you define it as "not life" because of how it works?

What if the machines are built out of organic matter. Not bits stolen from current living entities like cyborgs, but the usage of similar materials that make humans work?

if they are made of natural materials (although i still don't understand what is technically not natural as everything on the planet is surely natural if you go down to its base elements) then the argument becomes clouded. At what point do rights kick in? is there an IQ test? if so i fear for the residents of (insert most hated town here).
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 21:24:37 »

you mean Cuntiano RoDildo?

Nah....Clitianal Bumdildo
flammableBen

« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, July 15, 2008, 21:24:44 »

if they are made of natural materials (although i still don't understand what is technically not natural as everything on the planet is surely natural if you go down to its base elements) then the argument becomes clouded. At what point do rights kick in? is there an IQ test? if so i fear for the residents of (insert most hated town here).

So if everything is "natural" why does it matter if they are built out of some sort of organic machinery, standard current style electronic cleverness, a weird sort of quantum computing soup, or a mixture of all three? Surely the abilities shown are more important in determining an entities claim to life, and not its technical make up.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: