Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ECB  (Read 4189 times)
alanmayes

Ignore
ECB
« on: Friday, July 11, 2008, 08:08:41 »

Next summer the ECB have announced that they want to cram a series with Sri Lanka

into the already congested calendar.First test would start on May 8th.This would conflict

with the IPL as 13 Sri Lankans are contracted to play.Sri Lanka would probably have to

play a B team in the first couple of tests! Rumours abound that England test players still

want to join the IPL.

England would finish the Windies tour in march,play Sri Lanka in early may and june and then

face a 5 test series with the old enemy Australia for the Ashes.Hardly time to rest and then

take on the Aussies.Looks like greed,greed,greed from our administrators at the ECB.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
Boeta

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Friday, July 11, 2008, 10:40:42 »

England have always played a two Test series before Australia (in recent times anyway)

It was the Banglas in 2005

It has been a 7 Test summer for a number of years now, and of course the ECB want/need the money
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 11, 2008, 11:51:05 »

Juse seeing on the news that they are planning a new 20/20 Tournament for England to rival the IPL. Interesting this.
Bogus Dave
Ate my own dick

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 11, 2008, 11:56:51 »

thats been doing the rounds for a while hasnt it?

Things get better but they never get good
Iffy's Onion Bhaji
petulant

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Friday, July 11, 2008, 12:27:18 »

thats been doing the rounds for a while hasnt it?

Maybe but i haven't really been following cricket the past 12 months like i used to.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Friday, July 11, 2008, 14:47:28 »

Boeta,

You're quite right that we regularly play 2 tests before an Ashes series,but the dynamics

of the IPL have changed things.With 13 Sri Lankans contracted to play in the IPL, would

anybody pay serious money to watch a test series against a Sri Lankan B team? There

has also been talk of having a window, so that some england players could play in the IPL.

Trouble is that both players and ECB want to have their cake at the moment.

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Friday, July 11, 2008, 14:56:17 »

I'm fairly sure the Test series v Sri Lanka predated the IPL creation. The schedules are pretty much known 4 or 5 years in advance. I suppose at least we won't have to put up with crooked-armed 'spinners'.

If they send a "b" team, I hope they don't expect to get a Lords Test - give Durham or Hampshire a go instead.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
larwood
The girl least likely to.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Friday, July 11, 2008, 14:59:03 »

I think the Sri Lankans have stepped into the hole left by Zimbabwe not touring.Bit of a strange one really seeing as the Sri Lankan board must have known most of their best players had three year contracts with IPL teams.

As for the IPL does anyone even know who won it this year?Frankly i had zero interest in it[sure some of you did Smiley].Just wish the England players would stop obsessing over it and get on and play good cricket for England.Seems barely a day goes by without there being some news story about the England team leaving en masse.

I was a small, fat child in a welfare house
There was only one thing I ever dreamed about
And fate has just
Handed it to me - whoopee
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Friday, July 11, 2008, 15:24:56 »

Larwood,

Rajasthan with Warnie were the Champs.

ronnie21

The Mighty Hankerton

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, July 12, 2008, 20:53:10 »

I think the Sri Lankans have stepped into the hole left by Zimbabwe not touring.Bit of a strange one really seeing as the Sri Lankan board must have known most of their best players had three year contracts with IPL teams.

As for the IPL does anyone even know who won it this year?Frankly i had zero interest in it[sure some of you did Smiley].Just wish the England players would stop obsessing over it and get on and play good cricket for England.Seems barely a day goes by without there being some news story about the England team leaving en masse.
You are correct Larwood.  We played Bangladesh before the Aussies four years ago, the Zimbabweans were meant to be cannon fodder before the mighty Aussies visited again.  So they persuaded Sri Lanka to take over from the Zims.  I don't think we argued too much when we knew it would clash with the IPL and Sri Lanka would be weak, as somebody else said it is all about financial greed.
nevillew
Tripping the light puntastic

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, July 13, 2008, 07:06:19 »

Fair enough, I stand corrected.

Paolo Di Canio, it's Paolo Di Canio
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: