Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC player quiz  (Read 4475 times)
flammableBen

« Reply #15 on: Sunday, June 15, 2008, 11:59:49 »

And Italy.
neville w

« Reply #16 on: Sunday, June 15, 2008, 12:01:37 »

Er,  and France
flammableBen

« Reply #17 on: Sunday, June 15, 2008, 12:03:16 »

Little known fact; David Duke is a Moon Beast.
Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, June 15, 2008, 16:57:09 »

I met a guy (a Dane) who's played against Kim Heiselberg while I was away this season, he was amazed he'd played for us and agreed that he was utter gash, obviously playing a pretty poor standard now...
flammableBen

« Reply #19 on: Sunday, June 15, 2008, 17:30:26 »

Hadn't he played at U-21 level for Denmark? And he was at Sunderland for a while wasn't he?

Must have had something about him in his youth. Maybe he just slept his way into professional football.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, June 15, 2008, 17:38:23 »

Quote from: "flammableBen"
And Italy.

I know Franco Sperti and Paul Fiocca are always listed as Italian, but I used to kick around on the CG extension with these two, and they seemed to be Swindon boys.

I suppose they may have arrived in their early childhood, but I always thought they were the kids of ex POW types.
flammableBen

« Reply #21 on: Sunday, June 15, 2008, 17:43:42 »

I think it was a different random few games dude who I mashed into on swindon-town-fc. I can't remember though. Might have been a similar situation to the aforementioned anyway.
flammableBen

« Reply #22 on: Sunday, June 15, 2008, 17:49:07 »

It's an interesting look on the globalisation of the game, when you see that the vast majority of our non UK/Ireland former players were with us within the last 20 odd years.

Any interesting tales of earlier foreign imports Reg, or any of you other oldies?
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: Sunday, June 15, 2008, 18:02:39 »

Any interesting tales of earlier foreign imports Reg, or any of you other oldies?

My father told me stories of an early black player, by the name of Slack,  he was nicknamed Nutty Slack.....a reference to coal.

Nutty appeared never to have made a first team appearance, although I suppose it could have been in the war years or maybe he only got as far as the reserves.

If I had more time, then a trawl through the Adver microfilms in the library might throw up something...
Scot Munroe

« Reply #24 on: Sunday, June 15, 2008, 19:36:23 »

Federic Darras-France
Arnold.J.Rimmer

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: Sunday, June 15, 2008, 21:00:28 »

Quote from: "neville w"
Er,  and France

8 french players have represented Swindon, 6 Australians and 3 Argies
Swindon-Town-FC.co.uk

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: Sunday, June 15, 2008, 22:07:57 »

Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"

My father told me stories of an early black player, by the name of Slack,  he was nicknamed Nutty Slack.....a reference to coal.

Nutty appeared never to have made a first team appearance, although I suppose it could have been in the war years or maybe he only got as far as the reserves.

If I had more time, then a trawl through the Adver microfilms in the library might throw up something...

I think you may be referring to Titus Okere - who was on trial from Nigeria in 1953 - he apparently turned up for training with no footwear at all.

The Canadian one on the list isn't strictly true.... the person in question was born in what is now Canada.... which may give a clue as to how long ago it was!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: Sunday, June 15, 2008, 22:21:59 »

Quote from: "Swindon-Town-FC.co.uk"
Quote from: "Reg Smeeton"

I think you may be referring to Titus Okere - who was on trial from Nigeria in 1953 - he apparently turned up for training with no footwear at all.

The Canadian one on the list isn't strictly true.... the person in question was born in what is now Canada.... which may give a clue as to how long ago it was!!

Its entirely possible.....think Titus, if it was he, must have played a few games of some sort.  Would be quite interesting to know a bit more on this.
Swindon-Town-FC.co.uk

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: Sunday, June 15, 2008, 22:44:28 »

There's a picture of Titus in one of Paul Plowman's old books.  I just checked it out, but there isn't much more to add - it was in February 1953 if you ever get to check the Adver microfilms!
The Professor

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, June 17, 2008, 17:37:31 »

The Canadian - would it be Richard Tabor?  He played in the Swindon Town Youth Team that got to the FA Youth Cup Final with the Don.  Think he was a half back as they were called then - kind of defensive midfielder.  Got released back in the mid 60's and went back to Canada - I think.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: