Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 ... 448   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Films films filmsy films.  (Read 1241087 times)
Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #1215 on: Monday, March 30, 2009, 15:04:40 »

The highlight was something from around 1942 about aliens threatening to blow up earth if we didn't embrace a peaceful form of international relations - any ideas what it was called, Reg maybe?

Was it ' The day the earth stood still' ?

Film due out in a couple of weeks called 'Let the right one in' - same director that did 'Pan's Labyrinth. Anyone heard any reviews ?

Beaten to it !!!
oxford_fan

Ignore
« Reply #1216 on: Monday, March 30, 2009, 15:39:30 »

That is indeed the one. It was good, I'd recommend it. The message is still relevant.

I see they have re-made it with Keanu Reeves starring (not a good sign). But it does have Kathy Bates (a good sign) and John Cleese (a sort of goodish sign). Anyone seen it? Not that I'd watch it.
« Last Edit: Monday, March 30, 2009, 15:41:57 by oxford_fan » Logged
A Gent Orange

Ignore
« Reply #1217 on: Monday, March 30, 2009, 16:01:05 »

With films on planes I watched Sunshine on the flight to Chile. It's the worst film to watch on a 4" inch screen. Almost no dialogue, hardly any plot and lots of highly detailed special effects in which the characters are tiny.

Looking forward to In The Loop though. Out on the 17th April it's the film version of The Thick Of I but it does have Tony Soprano in it, no nonces and some top swearing.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #1218 on: Monday, March 30, 2009, 16:06:22 »

Film due out in a couple of weeks called 'Let the right one in' - same director that did 'Pan's Labyrinth. Anyone heard any reviews ?

Yeah I posted on that at the weekend. Like I said, saw it friday night and its excellent, I loved it! I didn't know it wasn't out yet.
« Last Edit: Monday, March 30, 2009, 16:46:05 by Spy » Logged
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1219 on: Monday, March 30, 2009, 16:36:51 »

That is indeed the one. It was good, I'd recommend it. The message is still relevant.

I see they have re-made it with Keanu Reeves starring (not a good sign). But it does have Kathy Bates (a good sign) and John Cleese (a sort of goodish sign). Anyone seen it? Not that I'd watch it.

I saw the original many years ago and thought it was a very good film and it must have been light years (excuse the pun) ahead of what anyone had seen at the time.

I wasn't aware it had been remade. Keanu Reeves  Huh?
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #1220 on: Monday, March 30, 2009, 16:57:15 »

The director of "Let The Right One In" isn't the "Pan's Labyrinth" guy, although it is also very rich visually and has a dark storyline as that film does.

The "Pan's Labyrinth" director is Guillermo del Toro whos currently directing "The Hobbit" which is being done as 2 films.
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #1221 on: Monday, March 30, 2009, 17:05:09 »

With films on planes I watched Sunshine on the flight to Chile. It's the worst film to watch on a 4" inch screen. Almost no dialogue, hardly any plot and lots of highly detailed special effects in which the characters are tiny.

Looking forward to In The Loop though. Out on the 17th April it's the film version of The Thick Of I but it does have Tony Soprano in it, no nonces and some top swearing.

Sunshine is very much a cinema film. Wouldn't bother watching it anywhere else.

In The Loop I am very much excited about. Malcolm Tucker is a genius swearer.
larwood
The girl least likely to.

Ignore
« Reply #1222 on: Monday, March 30, 2009, 17:16:41 »

According to the advert for Let the right one in on the back of my tv guide,Guillermo del Toro described it as 'A chilling fairytale.As delicate,haunting and poetic a film as you'll ever see.'
Not sure he'd get away with reviewing his own film  Cheesy

Hopefully get to see The damned united soon.As usual make plans to go but soomething always gets in the way.Plus its not on at Shaw Ridge at the moment,so that means it'll have to be seen at Greenbridge,with its no leg room policy Crying

I was a small, fat child in a welfare house
There was only one thing I ever dreamed about
And fate has just
Handed it to me - whoopee
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #1223 on: Monday, March 30, 2009, 17:17:22 »

thats only cos you and your bloke are 8 foot 6
larwood
The girl least likely to.

Ignore
« Reply #1224 on: Monday, March 30, 2009, 17:23:35 »

Smiley
I was going to say that i'm sure Si doesn't have a problem the leg room at Greenbridge,but stopped myself.Now your cruel jibe has made me say it.Take that short arses  Wink

I was a small, fat child in a welfare house
There was only one thing I ever dreamed about
And fate has just
Handed it to me - whoopee
Rich Pullen

« Reply #1225 on: Monday, March 30, 2009, 17:38:32 »

I even brought it in HMV just for Rich Pullen!

The corporate machine I work for salutes you Smiley

Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #1226 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2009, 09:23:46 »

tee hee!! I thought of you when I brought it Rich! Plus theres not really any other DVD/music shops in the town centre anymore

Larwood Ive booked to see the Damned united Thursday with my daddykins at Greenbridge
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1227 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2009, 10:33:42 »

Smiley
I was going to say that i'm sure Si doesn't have a problem the leg room at Greenbridge,but stopped myself.Now your cruel jibe has made me say it.Take that short arses  Wink

I'm sure I have more leg room at Greenbridge compared to Shaw Ridge, but it depends what screen you're in.

Dazzza

« Reply #1228 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2009, 11:50:57 »

Saw ‘Cass’ on DVD last night.  T'was ok if not slightly another generic variant on the hoolie culture and film.  Plenty of violence and a very good picture of football through the ages from the 70’s through to the late 90’s.

Definitely an interesting character although I got the impression watching the film and having read the book years ago that old Carol used more than a little artistic license to portray himself in a positive light and at the same time not incriminate himself in any naughty business, which I suppose is fairly snuff but not very believable.

6.5/10

Anteater

Ignore
« Reply #1229 on: Tuesday, March 31, 2009, 12:02:54 »

Yeah I posted on that at the weekend. Like I said, saw it friday night and its excellent, I loved it! I didn't know it wasn't out yet.

Doh !  Sorry Spy I'll try to keep up in future  Embarrassed
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 [82] 83 84 85 ... 448   Go Up
Print
Jump to: