Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 ... 448   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Films films filmsy films.  (Read 1240578 times)
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #1020 on: Friday, March 6, 2009, 14:05:21 »

Did you not think the first half of the film was much better and it trailed off a bit towards the end?

sort of. i enjoyed the boot camp best but the remainder of the film wasn't 'bad'.

Might've posted this already but I've been working my way through the Saw films recently, having never seen them before (always assumed it wasn't my thing, not a horror fan). As it turns out the first one is very good, the second isn't far off. Watched 3 last night and I'm starting to notice a decline - a little too much explanation maybe. A bit of back story is useful but I think some aspects could've been left unspoken.

the first film was (relatively) original, fresh and quite clever for what is essentially a slasher flick. the second film was a fairly good reworking of the original premise but the rest of the series just began to feel more and more like recycling after that.
STFC4LIFE
Fence Fucker

Ignore
« Reply #1021 on: Friday, March 6, 2009, 15:03:50 »

Green Street 2 is out towards the end of this month for anyone that is interested.

It's based in a prison, not many of the original characters in it though.
Jamiesfuturewife
Cats is nature

Ignore
« Reply #1022 on: Friday, March 6, 2009, 15:09:55 »

woo my Inbetweeners DVD arrived today
axs
naaarrrrrppppp

Ignore
« Reply #1023 on: Friday, March 6, 2009, 16:45:54 »

ha ha Its pretty good though I thought - Superhands just played superhands!

He does, it's exactly the same character, might as well have called him Superhands rather than cookie.
Spy

Ignore
« Reply #1024 on: Saturday, March 7, 2009, 10:03:15 »

Green Street 2 looks like it might be even worse than the first one but the first was was is quite hard to beat for shitness given it seems to be american take on the hooligan thing starring an american and with basically no authenticity at all.

I watched disneys Sleeping Beauty last night. The animation is awesome and the making of documentary on disc 2 was well interesting. It was really successful but didn't make as much money as you might think given they spent so much making it. Basically drawing one cell an animator took 1 hour and that equated to an eighth of a second of screen time. The bit at the end where maleficence transforms into a dragon is awesome.
mexico red

Demasiado no es demasiado

Ignore
« Reply #1025 on: Saturday, March 7, 2009, 10:19:41 »

Milk was a very powerful film. Excellent performance by sean penn, am i right in thinking he got an oscar last month for this?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1026 on: Saturday, March 7, 2009, 20:50:29 »

Milk was a very powerful film. Excellent performance by sean penn, am i right in thinking he got an oscar last month for this?

Yeah he won best actor for that film.
chalkies_shorts

« Reply #1027 on: Saturday, March 7, 2009, 23:13:54 »

I saw Cloverfiled last night. I love Scie Fi and monsters etc but boy what a load of shite.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #1028 on: Saturday, March 7, 2009, 23:25:17 »

I watched Ghost Town tonight. Started off ok, then went into the rubbish rom-com type thing. I think it's meant to be one of those 'charming comedies' and it didn't do a bad job of it. Still, not my cup of tea.

It was probably the type of film Run Fatboy Run wanted to be though.
alanmayes

Ignore
« Reply #1029 on: Sunday, March 8, 2009, 10:16:42 »

The Damned United opens at the end of the month.

From the best-selling and critically acclaimed novel by David Peace, The Damned United is directed by Tom Hooper and stars Michael Sheen as the legendary, opinionated football manager Brian Clough, with Timothy Spall as his right hand man, only friend, and crutch Peter Taylor.

Set in 1960s and 1970s England, The Damned United tells the confrontational and darkly humorous story of Brian Clough’s doomed 44 day tenure as manager of Leeds United, the reigning champions of English football. Previously managed by his bitter rival Don Revie (Colm Meaney), and on the back of their most successful period ever as a football club, Leeds had an aggressive and cynical style of football - an anathema to the principled yet flamboyant Brian Clough, who had achieved astonishing success as manager of Hartlepool and Derby County building teams in his own vision with trusty lieutenant Peter Taylor.

Taking the Leeds job without Taylor by his side, with a changing room full of Don’s boys, would lead to an unheralded examination of Clough’s belligerence and brilliance over 44 days.

http://www.sonypictures.co.uk/movies/thedamnedunited/

"It's not delusions of grandeur sir,it's intolerance of mediocrity and minimal performances."
michael
The Dude Abides

Ignore
« Reply #1030 on: Sunday, March 8, 2009, 10:52:32 »

The book is embellished isn't it?

Most recent film I watched was 'Into The Wild', directed by Sean Penn and starring an impressive Emile Hirsch.

I am a massive fan of Penn's recent work, movies such as '21 Grams', 'Mystic River', and 'The Assasination of Richard Nixon' were all superb, and a great run of films.

Haven't seen 'Milk' yet (Emile Hirsch is in that as well) but I shall endeavour to do so. I enjoy many of Gus Van Sant's movies, even if he is intentionally provocative at times.
flammableBen

« Reply #1031 on: Sunday, March 8, 2009, 12:30:40 »

I hope so. If you can't make up something which makes a true story more exciting then you're not trying hard enough. If in doubt add robots.
Stef Troll

Ignore
« Reply #1032 on: Sunday, March 8, 2009, 13:34:11 »

Watched Gran Torino last night, not a bad film,  easy to follow, but have seen better

Yes man is a good film,  light hearted and Jim Carey is good for a laugh or two.

How to lose friends and allienate people is also a good easy film to watch.

Next is pride and glory
Ben Wah Balls

Ignore
« Reply #1033 on: Sunday, March 8, 2009, 13:52:25 »

I saw watchmen yesterday which is probably the worst film I've ever seen at the cinema. I thought about walking out after the first hour and wish I had but I thought it might get better. No interesting characters, schizophrenic plot that never goes anywhere and about 2 hours 40 minutes too long.
flammableBen

« Reply #1034 on: Sunday, March 8, 2009, 14:54:04 »

I've got Jan Švankmajer's take on Faust later. I like the creepy mix of stop motion and live action he does in Alice, so hopefully this delivers the same brand of slightly murky trippiness.

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 ... 448   Go Up
Print
Jump to: