Pages: 1 ... 412 413 414 [415] 416 417 418 ... 448   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Films films filmsy films.  (Read 1240651 times)
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #6210 on: Friday, August 25, 2017, 08:09:26 »

Anomalisa: I must have missed something here. The only thing I really got from it is that a film with robot-puppet-character people shouldn't have such a [spoiler]long sex scene in it. [/spoiler] That's not right.

Give this a read and a listen...

http://theafterword.co.uk/charile-kaufman-kermodemayo-when-interviews-go-wrong/

The two creators were interviewed on the Mayo and Kermode film show on Radio 5, and it was fucking cringeworthy. Not sure if they didn't quite understand the set up of the show, or something annoyed them early on, but it's gone down as one of the worst interviews on the show (hat tip to Naomi Harris' Diana effort, worth checking out as well Cheesy )

Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #6211 on: Thursday, August 31, 2017, 15:03:30 »

Watched 'Goon: Last of the Enforcers' a couple of days ago... I love the original. Love, love, love it. Have been hoping for many years my other half would get me a Glatt 69 jersey, to no avail. So I've not exactly gone into the second one from a neutral position, but it kinda disappointed me. Funny bits are funny, sports bits are sportsy (if rushed), fight bits are fightsy (and plentiful, and bloody) and there's a ton of cameos from current and past NHL players and enforcers... just felt like it didn't add anything to the story, to be honest.

Still gonna get a Glatt jersey though Cheesy

Bewster

We fucking love you Gumbo!

Ignore
« Reply #6212 on: Thursday, August 31, 2017, 20:25:56 »

Watched Icarus on Netflix - quite an intriguing and interesting story about Russian doping.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #6213 on: Monday, September 11, 2017, 21:23:16 »

Give this a read and a listen...

http://theafterword.co.uk/charile-kaufman-kermodemayo-when-interviews-go-wrong/

The two creators were interviewed on the Mayo and Kermode film show on Radio 5, and it was fucking cringeworthy. Not sure if they didn't quite understand the set up of the show, or something annoyed them early on, but it's gone down as one of the worst interviews on the show (hat tip to Naomi Harris' Diana effort, worth checking out as well Cheesy )

That is just painful!

Thanks to StfcRusty for recommending The Big Sick, lovely little film. I was worried it might fall into standard romcom territory at points but it's just got enough wit and pathos about it to be thoroughly enjoyable.

Watched It today. Nowhere near as good as the original and could do with being at least 20 minutes shorter, but alright. A few good jumpscares and as someone who finds clowns creepy as fuck (who doesn't?) it does what it says on the tin.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #6214 on: Monday, September 11, 2017, 21:36:22 »

That is just painful!

Thanks to StfcRusty for recommending The Big Sick, lovely little film. I was worried it might fall into standard romcom territory at points but it's just got enough wit and pathos about it to be thoroughly enjoyable.

Watched It today. Nowhere near as good as the original and could do with being at least 20 minutes shorter, but alright. A few good jumpscares and as someone who finds clowns creepy as fuck (who doesn't?) it does what it says on the tin.

I haven't seen the latest yet, but I loved the 1990 one when I watched as a teenager. I re-watched a couple of years ago and it really does show ITs age (geddit?) and the fact it was made for tv.

I'd definitely recommend reading the book if you haven't.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #6215 on: Monday, September 11, 2017, 21:53:59 »

I know it's not an entirely original observation but the dated-ness of a horror can work in its favour too I think. It can be too easy these days to rely on special effects and be really lazy, leaving behind the stuff that is genuinely scary (like suggestion and the stuff you imagine.)

The book is brilliant, and I'm not a big fan of SK.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #6216 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 10:50:42 »

I haven't seen the latest yet, but I loved the 1990 one when I watched as a teenager. I re-watched a couple of years ago and it really does show ITs age (geddit?) and the fact it was made for tv.

I'd definitely recommend reading the book if you haven't.
Big fan of SK. Read most his earlier books, IT, Tommyknockers, Nightmares and Dreamscapes, Pet Sematary etc.
Loved watching the film adaptations too and I must find time see the new IT.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #6217 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 11:10:51 »

Is it just me or is the choice of films on Netflix and Amazon Prime increasingly poor? I'm struggling to find stuff to watch, I created a watchlist on IMDB but none of those are on either platform. Netflix have just put their prices up as well.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #6218 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 11:15:22 »

Is it just me or is the choice of films on Netflix and Amazon Prime increasingly poor? I'm struggling to find stuff to watch, I created a watchlist on IMDB but none of those are on either platform. Netflix have just put their prices up as well.

Only got Amazon Prime, feel the same. Some of the TV series have been good though.
Not bothered with Netflix (See above).
Sky Movie is woeful too.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #6219 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 11:19:14 »

I'll happily keep both due to the quality of series that are produced by or made available via them, although I've finished a lot of them. I am trying to get back in the habit of watching films again but it's a case of wading through so much shite to find something decent. I've considered rooting through charity shops trying to find cheap DVDs instead
Abrahammer

A legitimate dude sighting

Ignore
« Reply #6220 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 11:56:30 »

The best resource for films was and still is the LoveFilm where you get sent DVDs, their range was vast and it was extremely rare they didn't have what I wanted.  It's a bit of a ballache having to send back discs in the post mind you.

The service is closing next month which is a shame as it was the best place to get older/non mainstream films from.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #6221 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 11:59:03 »

I tried Lovefilm a few times over the years but so many of the discs were either unplayable or skipped due to cunts not taking care of them
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #6222 on: Tuesday, September 12, 2017, 13:53:35 »

I tried Lovefilm a few times over the years but so many of the discs were either unplayable or skipped due to cunts not taking care of them
Used to use love film for games back in the day. Surprised they still exist, though not for much longer it seems.
Leggett
Do you like popsicles?

Ignore
« Reply #6223 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 08:21:25 »

You'd be surprised how many Lovefilm discs we still get in post boxes... less than pre-netflix but still a whole bunch.

Nick Bamosomi
Bitter & Twisted

Ignore
« Reply #6224 on: Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 11:19:00 »

Lovefilm is stopping sending out discs in the next two months, hardly surprising really with all the competition.

Never , under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same  night
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 414 [415] 416 417 418 ... 448   Go Up
Print
Jump to: