Pages: 1 ... 411 412 413 [414] 415 416 417 ... 448   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Films films filmsy films.  (Read 1245579 times)
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #6195 on: Friday, August 4, 2017, 21:56:39 »

I watched Room last night. Fucks me up to think that has actually happened to people. Very good, but I'll definitely go for something cheerier next time. The Lego movie maybe (I can't get a happy recommendation out of anyone - Dunkirk pops up but I'll be giving it a miss I think.)

Before that I watched Salvage. Apparently it was made to celebrate Liverpool being awarded city of culture status in 2008. It's still on iplayer if you like low budget, don't-think-too-much thriller/horror films.  Or you want to see Neve McIntosh's boobs.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #6196 on: Saturday, August 5, 2017, 09:09:53 »

Room is good.

Try The Big Sick (in cinemas ATM) if you want a laugh.  I thought it was decent and also a true story
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #6197 on: Wednesday, August 9, 2017, 22:22:02 »

Just back from Dunkirk at the cinema. Thought it was pretty good but some elements of the plot were a bit dubious and there were a couple of far too cheesy/predictable scenes.
Chrystovski

« Reply #6198 on: Thursday, August 10, 2017, 07:42:16 »

I've watched a few films recently

The Founder: All about the creation of the Franchise that is Maccy D's. I don't want to give too much away but it's an interesting story and one I'd recommend a watch of.

John Wick 2: Pretty much the same as John Wick in terms of action etc but the storyline isn't as good.

Kong: It was Ok, nothing special but nothing to dislike either.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #6199 on: Thursday, August 10, 2017, 08:34:37 »

I watched the Babadook last night, very intelligently written film that remains scary without the typical horror cliches. I'm surprised there are so many bad reviews of it, I can only assume these are from people expecting a straightforward horror film which it clearly isn't.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #6200 on: Thursday, August 10, 2017, 09:27:34 »

I watched the Babadook last night, very intelligently written film that remains scary without the typical horror cliches. I'm surprised there are so many bad reviews of it, I can only assume these are from people expecting a straightforward horror film which it clearly isn't.

Received a very good critical response didn't it? It wasn't what I expected and I didn't enjoy it. It was different but there were quite a few horror cliches which all sold the film in the trailer.
Flashheart

« Reply #6201 on: Thursday, August 10, 2017, 09:35:09 »

I'm sure I watched it, but don't really remember what I thought of it. Horrors are mostly much of a muchness for me. Seen one and you've seen them all, with a few exceptions.
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #6202 on: Thursday, August 10, 2017, 09:36:54 »

Re-Watched Dead Mans Shoes the other day. Brilliant film.

I was looking on Wiki for something about the film and noticed it had a budget of £720k but only took just shy of £200k at the box office.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #6203 on: Thursday, August 10, 2017, 19:45:30 »

Re-Watched Dead Mans Shoes the other day. Brilliant film.

I was looking on Wiki for something about the film and noticed it had a budget of £720k but only took just shy of £200k at the box office.

One of my favourite films. Gripping with a twist I had no idea was coming.

I like a lot of Shane Meadow's films tbf.
sonicyouth

Ignore
« Reply #6204 on: Saturday, August 19, 2017, 23:34:34 »

Recently watched a few films, a couple of rewatches as my wife hadn't seen them:

I, Daniel Blake - unsurprisingly I loved this. Very powerful and precisely what I'd expected and hoped for from a Ken Loach film.

Quadrophenia - I remember thinking this was much better. It's not.

The Firm (the Alan Clarke TV film with Gary Oldman as Bex Bissell) - saw it years ago and the similarities to Quadrophenia are fascinating.

Bad Moms - surprisingly enjoyable if predictable

Sweet Sixteen - I've tried to watch it before but never found it with subtitles (wife can't understand the accents at all) and much like everything else I've seen of Ken Loach, it left me in bits. Martin Compston is excellent.

Get Out - very good, saw it as more satire and thriller than horror. A little predictable towards the end and some odd plot holes but my main annoyance was the overt Microsoft product placement
Amir

« Reply #6205 on: Monday, August 21, 2017, 08:18:40 »

One of my favourite films. Gripping with a twist I had no idea was coming.

I like a lot of Shane Meadow's films tbf.

Likewise. I have a particular soft spot for 24/7.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #6206 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2017, 11:54:04 »

Dead Man's Shoes, This Is England and A Room For Romeo Brass are my pick of the Shane Meadows films; enjoyed them all though. Haven't seen 'Small Time' but it's on its way now.

Wes Anderson is another director I know I'll enjoy a film by. Watched Moonrise Kingdom for about the fifth time the other day. I love it, but don't like the last 20 minutes or so.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #6207 on: Wednesday, August 23, 2017, 15:43:12 »

Starman (1984) with Jeff Bridges just starting now on Film 4 is decent.
mystical_goat

Ignore
« Reply #6208 on: Thursday, August 24, 2017, 09:42:49 »

Also I saw 'The Big Sick' at the weekend and it was really good. Thought there wasn't much on and the trailer showed promise and we weren't disappointed; a good comedy.

Baby Driver the week before was a 2/5 sort of one for me.
Ells

I am 32 now

Ignore
« Reply #6209 on: Thursday, August 24, 2017, 22:00:52 »

The Big Sick is on my "to see" list.

What I have seen:

Dunkirk: Probably would have enjoyed it more without the hype. It wasn't boring but it wasn't amazing, either.

Anomalisa: I must have missed something here. The only thing I really got from it is that a film with robot-puppet-character people shouldn't have such a [spoiler]long sex scene in it. [/spoiler] That's not right.

Despicable Me 3: Quite a sweet little film.

Moana: As above.

Stalled: I could have written this 3 times in my sleep, and I'm a fucking idiot.

If Don Rogers were alive today, he'd be turning in his grave
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 413 [414] 415 416 417 ... 448   Go Up
Print
Jump to: