Pages: 1 ... 373 374 375 [376] 377 378 379 ... 448   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Films films filmsy films.  (Read 1247670 times)
suttonred

Ignore
« Reply #5625 on: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 17:12:24 »

I had retro night last night, Pulp Fiction, The Warriors, and Two Lane Blacktop.
ibelieveinmrreeves
Should've gone to Specsavers

Ignore
« Reply #5626 on: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 17:48:45 »

I watched 'Welcome to the Punch' yesterday - a decent British crime thriller effort. First thing other than The Walking Dead I've seen David Morrissey in too.

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog on the pitch.
StfcRusty

Ignore
« Reply #5627 on: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 18:15:24 »

Saw Boyhood last night. Filmed over 12 years with the same actors. The lead character is seen from 5 to 18 years - weird seeing people age like that. Thought it was really good with a decent soundtrack
Chubbs

Ignore
« Reply #5628 on: Saturday, August 2, 2014, 19:05:04 »

SyFy have a decent selection these days
Sharktopus
Mega Python Vs Gatoroid
Dinocroc Vs Supergator
Piranhaconda
Sharknado

to name a few
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #5629 on: Sunday, August 3, 2014, 00:17:30 »

I had retro night last night, Pulp Fiction, The Warriors, and Two Lane Blacktop.

WARRRIORRRRRSSS, COME OUT TO PLAAAYYYAAAAAYYYYYYYY
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #5630 on: Saturday, September 6, 2014, 22:54:11 »

I watched 'Welcome to the Punch' yesterday - a decent British crime thriller effort. First thing other than The Walking Dead I've seen David Morrissey in too.

I've been meaning to watch that for a while so will definitely get round to it sooner rather than later.

I watched Lucy tonight. I'll post a review shortly.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #5631 on: Sunday, September 7, 2014, 00:04:11 »

A lengthy review of Lucy without spoilers (sic). If you just want to know if it's worth a watch then the answer is no. Read on if you want to know why. It may take you a couple of minutes but it will save you 90 more potentially.

The film starts off with an promising premise and has the look and feel of a good thriller. The audience don't know what is happening and why and certainly is designed to keep you guessing, intrigued and interested. Plus we get to see plenty of Scarlet Johansson's ample bust. Nice.

However we do also get the first hints that there is something strange and annoying about this film. Scenes which cut from Johannson's startled face to an antelope, to a mob of Korean criminals, to a few cheetahs, back to Johannson surrounded by the Korean mob, to cheetahs chasing antelope.....well you get the idea.

Speaking of unnecessary - Morgan Freeman starts giving a seminar on his theory on what would happen if humans were to use greater than 10% of their cerebral capacity (the myth that this is the supposed amount we use). 20% yada, at 30% blah blah....at 100% he isn't entirely sure but it's likely to be the work of science fiction. Thank you Professor Freeman.

The film is littered with this sort of stuff, we see parts of the seminar played back again and again, just in case you didn't understand the point the Professor was trying to make or the importance of it. There's a craptastic montage of a fighter jet taking off, a rocket being launched, skyscrapers being built etc, all meant to depict human achievement, because the main character asks 'what have humans achieved?' or something along those lines. Eurgh, I'm sure I worked out the character meant we've achieved a lot but so little by the way the line was delivered.

You may have seen the trailer and thought: I enjoyed Limitless and this looks like an over-the-top version of that, it will probably be a bit silly but enjoyable and entertaining and will have an interesting plot. This is not that film. You may think - oh well, it will be really cool to see some sort of untouchable super-human using more of her brain to do some cool stuff and start some shit. This isn't one of those good action films (even casting the plot aside).

The entire film is a piss-poor paradox which is meant to deliver themes, philosophies and the director's vision/interpretation of life apparent by the finale. The ending isn't thought provoking and the audience are treated as if they don't use even 10% of their brain power, having their hands held throughout the entire film to make sure they understand the 'deep meaning' of the film. It's art shit dressed up and marketed as something else.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #5632 on: Sunday, September 7, 2014, 03:02:28 »

Other than that, it's a great film and with a watch.  Wink
kerry red

« Reply #5633 on: Sunday, September 7, 2014, 09:29:08 »

Sounds the kind of film you might have half a chance of getting a handy during it
4D
Or not 4D that is the question

I can't bear it 🙄

Ignore
« Reply #5634 on: Monday, September 8, 2014, 12:41:59 »

I won't be watching that, thanks Si.
kerry red

« Reply #5635 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2014, 15:51:18 »

Watched A Clockwork Orange again - first time since it was released.

Appreciated what a great film it was - more so than at the time.

Bit heavy on the crime and punishment theme I suppose.

Loads of good old English actors in their younger days - Uncle Fred from Corrie
Samdy Gray
Dirty sneaky traitor weasel

Ignore
« Reply #5636 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2014, 15:59:15 »

Now that I've gotten Plex up and running properly, I've been able to watch a few more films lately.

Bad Neighbours is your typical Seth Rogen stoner film. The plot is completely devoid of anything meaningful, but it's not bad for a couple of hours of 'dumb' entertainment. Additional bonus if you want to see Zac Efron shirtless.

They Came Together, which I watched primarily to appease the wife's love of rom-coms, turned out to be a bit of a parody rom-com film. I usually like the films of Paul Rudd (come at me) and although this one had a few laugh out loud moments, it was actually quite awful.

I have the new Godzilla which I've yet to watch.
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #5637 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2014, 18:59:40 »

I have the new Godzilla which I've yet to watch.

I don't understand why it got such good reviews. Godzilla isn't even most of the film and the main character dude is one annoying cunt.

It's like watching a rubbish undercard and a very uneventful 11 rounds of main event to get to an exciting final round.

Enjoy Smiley
Honkytonk

Whoo Whoo!

Ignore
« Reply #5638 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2014, 19:42:58 »

I keep hearing both very good and very bad reviews for Godzilla. Really should get around to watching it.
Nemo
Shit Bacon

Ignore
« Reply #5639 on: Tuesday, September 9, 2014, 20:25:21 »

I watched Godzilla on top of a car park which is definitely the right way to do it (albeit Peckham is not Tokyo).

I thought it was pretty fun, although I could have done with less Aaron Taylor Johnson and more Bryan Cranston and Juliette Binoche. It takes a while for the big chap to show up but I actually did care about the humans for the most part.
Pages: 1 ... 373 374 375 [376] 377 378 379 ... 448   Go Up
Print
Jump to: