Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peacock back to being a striker  (Read 4945 times)
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 14:33:11 »

I am not saying 13th is not good I am saying our team which includes our strikeforce was not good enough for a higher finish last season.

Paynter,peacock are good players if that is the position you want to finish what I am trying to say is I personally do not not think they are good enough to get you a play off position.I will say the same about Vincent,aljofree,jack smith and mcgovern also.

The other point I was trying to make was I do not understand why Malpas offered him a contract when he was a midfielder only to say weeks later he does not rate him in that position.Peacock has proved me wrong before and I hope he does again but I just don’t think he will

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 14:40:55 »

3-4 players who improve what we have already should see us mount a challenge for the play offs.but these would have to come here and be first team regulars imo.
and anything other than a play off attempt would be a poor season imo.
the lot we have got us so far.some of them, and a few new players arte needed to step it up a notch.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 14:59:54 »

Whilst I understand the need to progress forward, I think in some cases our players are being horribly under estimated.

Yes we finished 13th, which to me is a good finish. Better than I expected at the start of the season (I wont go on about the adver, delusion and the play offs)

Again, like last season and the season before we changed manager part way through and that a clear effect on the players, the style of play and the results.

It takes a while for a manager to put his stamp on the team, get them playing his system and get them used to his training methods etc etc.

I think our current squad with NO EXTRA additions is easily capable of a top 8 finish, no doubt about it. As long as we keep the same manager through out the season and we dont chop and change AGAIN.

Of course I'd like to see one or two extra players bought in (right winger and two left backs) but the likes of Peacock, Paynter, Aljofree & McGovern are good enough for this level.

I know its in the past not, but Peacock was a main stay and one of the top scorers in a good Bristol City side that always finished top 3. Payner was part of that Port Vale team that finished 7th and very nearly got a play off spot. Aljofree was in a League winning team and JPM has also got promoted out of this division.

Personally I think our current crop of strikers are more than good enough to score goals, they did last season all of them. Some more so than others.....but still Cox got 16, Paynter got 10, Peacock got 6 and Corr got 5 despite hardly playing. Plus you hope next season with McNamee in the team all season we'd a more creative team anyway.

One thing I *think* we have in our favour this season is we've released about 4/5 players and I dont think we'll bring many in. Most teams are releasing 9/10 players and will bring in about 14 more. Teams in this league arent consistent and teams dont tend to stay together very long.

Yeovil finished in the play offs the previous season and were close to the drop this season. Walsall were in the play offs most of this season and you watch, they will be right at the bottom next season

I think we are only a minimum of 3 players short of a team and squad capable of pushing the top 6.

Again, just my opinion but we dont need to and shouldnt change too much. Keep plugging away and hope the last 6 games of the season was the 'true' Malpas team.

Last season was a good season and most of players played their part and did a good job of it, bit more consistency this term and we'll do alright I reckon.
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 15:06:23 »

fucking hell thats a bit positive DV

I mainly agree though. We do have some players who who've got talent but we've not seen the best of this season (yes, you JPM) and with a few quailty additions in the right areas we could be in with a shout of the play offs with a few games left.

Man for man the current squad stands up to the king-era play off squad. When you look back its amazing we did so well really as we had some right shitty players on our books then as well as the obvious quality ones. some played almost every game. *Cough* Hewlett
McLovin

« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 15:27:25 »

I agree with Dan. Sadly.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 15:28:33 »

Quote from: "Colin Todd"
fucking hell thats a bit positive DV

I mainly agree though. We do have some players who who've got talent but we've not seen the best of this season (yes, you JPM) and with a few quailty additions in the right areas we could be in with a shout of the play offs with a few games left.

Man for man the current squad stands up to the king-era play off squad. When you look back its amazing we did so well really as we had some right shitty players on our books then as well as the obvious quality ones. some played almost every game. *Cough* Hewlett

I've always claimed to be a realist   Wink

No, we're in good shape for the first time in years both on and off the pitch, good reason to be positive if you ask me!

Like you said, the likes of JPM (and other...) have the talent but it isnt on display often enough.....now I do wonder is that down to the player himself or maybe the managers training methods or is it sheer luck in some cases, confidence? the teams pattern of play.

My only worry, well less of a worry and more of a 'hope' I guess.....is that the last 6 games wasnt a fluke, wasnt other teams not having much to play for and the last 6 games really were the games after the Sturrock/Malpas transistion period was over because we finished the season pretty well both in terms of results and performances.

Also, that King squad had Griemink, Gurney, Viveash, Reeves, Junior Lewis, Hewlett and Heywood  :shock: you do look back and wonder how we did so well
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 16:35:35 »

Hewlett was very good that season.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 17:55:42 »

How many did Mitchell score in 92/93?  That team had goals from all areas, and that is the real challenge, not concentrating our efforts on getting a few extra goals from position (one where the support strikers added together for the past couple of seasons have reached around 15-20 in total anyway).

With another player or two able to produce like McNamee we will be far better served that getting in a striker (probably at some cost) who gets limited service.  Peacock showe plenty in the last few games to suggest that with decent service and a solid midfield he could forger a PARTNERSHIP with Cox.  For 2 seasons, when he has been upfront, it's not been with an out and out goalscorer like Cox, or with a solid central midfield or two reall creative players in the team (Zaaboub and Roberts generally created for themselves).

Overall, I'd be comfortable with our strikers as is, provided we get that improvement needed elsewhere.  If we find a decent forward then it's a bonus.  Get two players in like Comminges at full backs and someone else a bit like McNamee on the right and I think we'll be well set.
Spencer_White

« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 19:52:47 »

Hewlett was rubbish every season. What did he do after he left us? Helped get Torquay relegated out the league. He scored a cracker v Notts County that season. But any player who tackles with his arms is cack. Rubbish.

One thing King did know, and always tried to do, was have your two best players up front. I dont know if Peacock fits that bill anymore. He doesnt scare defenses. He's not lethal. I liked him in midfield. He's tough, full of running, strong, good header. But Malpas likes more ball players in the middle. Cox/Corr is our best strike partnership, returning to Paynter/Cox when Corr gets injured.

I do agree that man for man we have a very good team. But I think we will be susceptable to poor runs of form next season. Probably have bad one for the whole of september which will rule us out. Always happens with inexperienced managers and it did take Malpas a long time to sort out lazy players in march of this last season.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: