Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Peacock back to being a striker  (Read 4941 times)
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 13:05:27 »

So we will have Sturrock, Cox, Peacock, Paynter, Corr & Joyce battling for 2 positions.

Personally I prefered Peacock in midfield, I thought next season he would really take to the position, he has never been a prolific scorer throughout his career and that is why Sturrock moved him into midfield as he has that sort of personalilty that has an  positive effect on the team and is a hard grafter.

I think a front 2 of Corr & Cox will get us the 30 + goals required next season

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 13:12:58 »

Quote from: "Si Pie"
Oh wait, Doncaster and Forest had an abundence strikers who could put away 15-20 a season too.

The argument that you need two strikers that can get 15-20 goals each is rubbish in my opinion. It got us close a few years back but Brighton proved that a team which leaks as many as it scores is beatable.

look at their goal ratios compared to ours.big difference!
its all about balance.and you cant really compare fairly by other teams anyway.
they are all different to us.you would have to go player for player to do that fairly imo.did those teams have other players who got a few?

the facts are that goals win games, peacock will get a few for sure.but i cannot see a significant rise from him or the other players goal tallys to push us on.

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 13:21:13 »

Quote from: "Tails"
Then shut up. Peacock played 6 games up front and scored 3 goals. 50% aint bad.

factually incorrect. so maybe your own advice should be taken?
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #48 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 13:29:39 »

In that case let's stop passing the buck to one player and realise as it stands, we're not good enough as a team, Peacock up front  or in midfield.

I agree I would like to see the frontline improved, but I would also like to see our full back positions, centre midfield, backup for left midfield and also our right midfield positions improved. Why focus on Peacock? Malpas is clearly trying to create competition amongst the players because he is trying to get the best out of what we have got. Is that a bad thing? I think it's actually a good thing.

Bryne has also said we're chasing players but they hae to be the right ones to get 6000 season ticket holders through the gates. I agree with him. We need to get the best from what we've got and get some quality additions in that will make us go from a middling-good team to a really good team. We're not a million miles away but there is some way to go in terms of going for promotion, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen this year.
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 13:35:26 »

Quote from: "Power to people"
So we will have Sturrock, Cox, Peacock, Paynter, Corr & Joyce battling for 2 positions.

Personally I prefered Peacock in midfield, I thought next season he would really take to the position, he has never been a prolific scorer throughout his career and that is why Sturrock moved him into midfield as he has that sort of personalilty that has an  positive effect on the team and is a hard grafter.

Even thinking Corr will play is really wishful thinking so don't understand why people keep mentioning him.

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 13:38:28 »

Quote from: "Si Pie"
In that case let's stop passing the buck to one player and realise as it stands, we're not good enough as a team, Peacock up front  or in midfield.

I agree I would like to see the frontline improved, but I would also like to see our full back positions, centre midfield, backup for left midfield and also our right midfield positions improved. Why focus on Peacock? Malpas is clearly trying to create competition amongst the players because he is trying to get the best out of what we have got. Is that a bad thing? I think it's actually a good thing.

Bryne has also said we're chasing players but they hae to be the right ones to get 6000 season ticket holders through the gates. I agree with him. We need to get the best from what we've got and get some quality additions in that will make us go from a middling-good team to a really good team. We're not a million miles away but there is some way to go in terms of going for promotion, I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't happen this year.

i agree with most of your post above.

but with respect the thread is about peacock, hence why we are taliking about him.and i'm certainly not passing the buck to him.
janaage
People's Front of Alba

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 13:39:22 »

Quote from: "stfctownenda"

Even thinking Corr will play is really wishful thinking so don't understand why people keep mentioning him.

Because he's a Swindon Town player who's currently out injured, he's not dead or anything Edna!
Colin Todd

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 13:41:18 »

Quote from: "janaage"

Because he's a Swindon Town player who's currently out injured, he's not dead or anything Edna!

Indeed, and IF he could make 30ish starts in a season I'd rate him as our 2nd best Striker.
Don Rogers Shop

« Reply #53 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 13:51:47 »

With our current strikeforce including peacock we finished 13th that is a fact so it proves that its not good enough does it not
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #54 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 14:00:29 »

Don't forget Cox didn't play for some of the season. It'll be crucial he can keep fit. We're all assuming that Peacock will start too, I think Malpas will play the form players rather than the names, unless us bunch of whining cunt fans start getting on his back when we draw our first game 0-0.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 14:04:22 »

Quote from: "Don Rogers Shop"
So thats peacock,corr,paynter the big men up front i would be amazed if they got 20 goals between the 3 of them to be honest.

I really do not see why he offered Peacock a contract to be honest

Right, quick look at last seasons stats

Lee Peacock, 6 goals

Barry Corr, 5 goals

Billy Paynter, 10 goals

6+5+10=21

be amazed!
stfctownenda

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 14:05:37 »

Quote from: "janaage"

He's been currently injured for about 2 years, we can keep hoping he may come back and be amazing but lets face it throughout his career he has done exactly the same and thats why Wednesday got rid, we should cut our losses and look for someone else.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 14:09:10 »

, he has never been a prolific scorer throughout his career

Aaprt from when he played at Mansfield and those seasons at City where he got between 15 and 20 goals each year.
dell boy

« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 14:13:17 »

I think this is all a smoke-screen talking about Peacock going upfront ... if we are going to progress we need another striker from elsewhere and two more midfield players ....

As soon as we offload Paynter or Corr another striker will sign, pretty confident about that.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, May 28, 2008, 14:13:19 »

Quote from: "Don Rogers Shop"
With our current strikeforce including peacock we finished 13th that is a fact so it proves that its not good enough does it not

.....and finishing 13th was purely down to our striker force?

A quick look at the league table will tell you we were actually the joint highest scoring team at home with 41 goals (the same as Leeds United)

Away from home we didnt score as many, only 22......

So I dont think our strikers are the problem, more so our away form is what kept us back in 13th, which wasnt a bad finish by any means
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: