Pages: 1 ... 2376 2377 2378 [2379] 2380 2381 2382 ... 3963   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 8867022 times)
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #35670 on: Sunday, July 5, 2020, 11:25:23 »

That’s why any cap must be brought in over a number of seasons - averaging £2.5m over, say, 3 years.

Or no cap at all.

Or police the wages/turnover ratio we have now and stop clubs circumventing it with points deduction.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #35671 on: Sunday, July 5, 2020, 11:32:27 »

Surprise surprise, Sunderland totally against the cap.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sunderland-hit-out-efl-plans-18527916

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #35672 on: Sunday, July 5, 2020, 11:41:30 »

I agree with him tbh

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #35673 on: Sunday, July 5, 2020, 11:48:38 »

So, where’s all the excess money going to go if it isn’t spent on players? Owners’ arse pockets, that’s where.

Especially as seeing the entire non league structure will have no cap leaving the gate open for any bankrolled tinpot outfit to offer more in wages than L2 sides.

Get relegated from the Championship and you’re in the shit immediately. It’s farcical but it’s the owners who will vote on it.

But why is there no decision on this until 29 July? Clubs need to start recruiting now - but how can they without knowing if they’ll fall foul of a cap?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #35674 on: Sunday, July 5, 2020, 11:56:01 »

I agree with him tbh
I think this is a knee jerk reaction by the league, the previous FFP/SCMP would have exactly the same effect if it was a. managed better by the EFL and point deductions put in place for clubs that break it and b. that there wasn't a sponsorship loophole allow what is in essence the breaking of the rules.

Yes I know its a legal loophole but it shouldnt be there, allowing clubs with a very small fanbase and actual football related income from being allowed to overspend on player wages turning clubs that were not much more than glorified pub teams (FGR, Crawley, Salford even Bournemouth etc) from buying a place in higher leagues.

If that FFP was adhered to based upon bums on seats and merchandise then this cap "probably" would not be needed.

Bigger clubs like Sunderland/Ipswich etc in L1 can afford to pay higher wages because they have a far higher income and large fanbase compared to clubs like Burton/Shrewsbury/Accrington/Rochdale/Fleetwood etc.

It shouldn't be a blanket wage cap.

Quite ironic really that Sunderland oppose the flat cap yet lots of their fans still wear them Smiley

This all happening while UEFA have relaxed the FFP rules due to Covid.

Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #35675 on: Sunday, July 5, 2020, 12:16:23 »

This is my makor concern regarding Doyle signing on high wages, he wasn't the same player after coming back from Bradford, this could easily continue.

‘Then again there's no guarantees Doyle will be at the level of Doyle next season.‘

Agree with both of those comments. What I would add to Venks comment is there were still plenty of games to go for Doyle to get his mojo back, alas we’ll never know now if that could have transpired. At our level and with our financial clout we’ll always be a Cinderella Club losing or having to sell players for one reason or another.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #35676 on: Sunday, July 5, 2020, 12:24:58 »

So, where’s all the excess money going to go if it isn’t spent on players? Owners’ arse pockets, that’s where.

Especially as seeing the entire non league structure will have no cap leaving the gate open for any bankrolled tinpot outfit to offer more in wages than L2 sides.

Get relegated from the Championship and you’re in the shit immediately. It’s farcical but it’s the owners who will vote on it.

But why is there no decision on this until 29 July? Clubs need to start recruiting now - but how can they without knowing if they’ll fall foul of a cap?
This is my concern, it needs to be a proper policed turnover cap. An arbitrary £2.5m cap is nonsense as if you get a team in the league with 20k+ crowds they will have £10m plus income so millions that are unable to be spent and the temptation for the more unscrupulous owners will be even more than it is now.
We’d get some advantage from it in League 1 but in league 2 we’d be fucked as we’d have the same spending power as every other club and lose some of the advantage we’ve had with turnover from our higher crowds and what not.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #35677 on: Sunday, July 5, 2020, 12:31:54 »

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/18562462.bolton-wanderers-set-swoop-swindon-striker-eoin-doyle/
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #35678 on: Sunday, July 5, 2020, 12:33:26 »

Hadn't really considered the Ian Evatt/Chesterfield link.

Doesn't look good but such is life.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #35679 on: Sunday, July 5, 2020, 12:43:58 »

Hadn't really considered the Ian Evatt/Chesterfield link.

Doesn't look good but such is life.
Big risk for him if it’s just for Evatt, gotta be a good chance of him being sacked by Christmas.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #35680 on: Sunday, July 5, 2020, 12:55:48 »

Bolton haven’t be able to sign anyone much for a few seasons now. Their points deduction last season made it pointless spending much on their squad. So they’ve probably built up a decent war chest in the crowds they’ve got.
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #35681 on: Sunday, July 5, 2020, 13:00:02 »

Big risk for him if it’s just for Evatt, gotta be a good chance of him being sacked by Christmas.

Nope. His contract would continue after that!

...and we all know that it wouldn't be 'just' for Evatt.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #35682 on: Sunday, July 5, 2020, 13:09:13 »

Hope he goes, tbh. We shouldn’t be pushing the boat out for a player who will have zero value. Give his offer to DJ and sign Yates. Much more sensible way to go.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #35683 on: Sunday, July 5, 2020, 13:19:32 »

Hope he goes, tbh. We shouldn’t be pushing the boat out for a player who will have zero value. Give his offer to DJ and sign Yates. Much more sensible way to go.
I am resigned to him leaving now, heard that he turned down our 2nd improved offer anyway.

So yes, get DJ and/or Yates witht he extra budget available and go from there.

Thanks for all the fish GP.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #35684 on: Sunday, July 5, 2020, 13:28:56 »

Nope. His contract would continue after that!

...and we all know that it wouldn't be 'just' for Evatt.
I’m talking enjoying your football, I get the money and all that but if Evatt gets sacked and he ends up in another Bradford situation for the remainder of his career then it’s not all roses. There’s a balance between getting top dollar and enjoying what you do but each to their own I guess.
Pages: 1 ... 2376 2377 2378 [2379] 2380 2381 2382 ... 3963   Go Up
Print
Jump to: