Pages: 1 ... 2213 2214 2215 [2216] 2217 2218 2219 ... 3970   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 8941029 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #33225 on: Monday, October 14, 2019, 21:19:24 »

That's not what is being said...

Lingy wasn't a success first time, only played 2 games, so wasn't someone returning with a reputation, rather a point to prove and aged 24, time to do it.

You were stating clear evidence that suggests it won't work out.  Lingy did work out, unless you forgot to add the other parts of the scientific theory you tested, like they had to have played a certain number of games the first time, not have returned within a certain time frame, had to have certain first names maybe?
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #33226 on: Monday, October 14, 2019, 22:01:38 »

I agree with Ooh Shaun Taylor regarding criteria for the decision to sign Caddis or not. Presumably the fact that he hadn’t been discarded after last week’s training suggests RW hadn’t written him off. His previous record with us is irrelevant, the question is can he do a job now in League2 ?

Regarding the Don’s return - I was privileged to see the last half of his first spell (1967-1972)when he was probably at his peak, his pace and finishing were superb. Would always be one of the first names on my “best eleven” of the Town players I saw. His own career achievements may have been bigger if he had left STFC a couple of years earlier.
His return a few years later from QPR was at best a disappointment - his subsequently well documented hip problems were clearly impacting at that time and as a result his electrifying pace had gone, and he was no longer the same player.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #33227 on: Tuesday, October 15, 2019, 09:43:28 »

You were stating clear evidence that suggests it won't work out.  Lingy did work out, unless you forgot to add the other parts of the scientific theory you tested, like they had to have played a certain number of games the first time, not have returned within a certain time frame, had to have certain first names maybe?

I mention the time gap in the original post.

Regarding Lingy, I seem to remember he nearly came back for a 3rd time, but it's a vague recall, it may have been Jimmy Quinn managing at the time, he apparently was on his way to sign, but it was called off at the last minute....

I don't think it would have been a good move....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #33228 on: Tuesday, October 15, 2019, 11:22:10 »

Wellens will need to consider the following re. Caddis...

Can he still play?
Is he fit?
Can he improve the squad?
Does he want to play for us?
Can we afford him?

The answers to these questions will inform the decision as to whether we sign him and nothing else.

You don't sign a player because he used to play for us, you don't NOT sign a player because he used to play for us. And you most certainly don't sign him based on how some other random players did when we re-signed them 20 odd years ago. Trying to make any connection whatsoever is utter bunkum.

What you suggest is that gaffers will look at a player without any consideration of his experience.... I know that sometimes you do wonder what they were thinking with a signing, but I'd imagine that given Wellens has experience of returning himself as a player he'll understand the potential pitfalls or otherwise.   

In his case he returned to Donny, after a previous successful spell, on the 4 year cusp, so not too long after, but he was a veteran by then.  They got relegated in his first season back...  he did play, so don'ty know if he'd see that as a success.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #33229 on: Tuesday, October 15, 2019, 11:45:31 »

Can he still play?

Surely that's consideration of his experience.

Anyway, who really cares. We'll see (if he does sign).
JBZ
Not as likeable as Reg was, a fencesitting WUM

Allegedly, not a Swindon Town supporter

Ignore
« Reply #33230 on: Tuesday, October 15, 2019, 12:04:40 »

I agree that some posters are giving this a disproportionate amount of thought.  If the manager wants him, I am sure he will be signed. My view is that he will not but there we are.

Nothing to see here
OOH! SHAUN TAYLOR
- FACT!

Ignore
« Reply #33231 on: Friday, October 18, 2019, 05:54:04 »

Wellens will need to consider the following re. Caddis...

Can he still play?
Is he fit?
Can he improve the squad?
Does he want to play for us?
Can we afford him?

The answers to these questions will inform the decision as to whether we sign him and nothing else.

You don't sign a player because he used to play for us, you don't NOT sign a player because he used to play for us. And you most certainly don't sign him based on how some other random players did when we re-signed them 20 odd years ago. Trying to make any connection whatsoever is utter bunkum.

It appears the answer to this one is 'no'...

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/17977477.swindon-town-manager-richie-wellens-says-former-league-winning-captain-paul-caddis-unlikely-offered-contract-club-due-lack-available-funds/

Although I suspect RW got cold feet when he discovered how unsuccessful Kerslake and King were when they re-signed for us 20 odd years ago...that's the real reason  Hmmm
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #33232 on: Friday, October 18, 2019, 08:52:30 »

It appears the answer to this one is 'no'...

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/17977477.swindon-town-manager-richie-wellens-says-former-league-winning-captain-paul-caddis-unlikely-offered-contract-club-due-lack-available-funds/

Although I suspect RW got cold feet when he discovered how unsuccessful Kerslake and King were when they re-signed for us 20 odd years ago...that's the real reason  Hmmm
Cheesy

Wellens left the door open though if we do get other injuries....
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #33233 on: Friday, October 18, 2019, 09:12:24 »

Also, Donohue is on a month by month deal - if his first game turns out to be a flash in the pan rather than a benchmark of his true quality,  or if the “disciplinary issues” which led to his contract at Mansfield being terminated surface here, it gives us an experienced backup option who is at least physically if not match fit.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #33234 on: Friday, October 18, 2019, 09:13:51 »

Also, Donohue is on a month by month deal - if his first game turns out to be a flash in the pan rather than a benchmark of his true quality,  or if the “disciplinary issues” which led to his contract at Mansfield being terminated surface here, it gives us an experienced backup option who is at least physically if not match fit.

Had missed the signing of Donohue as we were away last weekend, a quick google to catch up suggests he is a really nice chap.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #33235 on: Friday, October 18, 2019, 09:21:26 »

Had missed the signing of Donohue as we were away last weekend, a quick google to catch up suggests he is a really nice chap.
Nice chap or not off the field, he did a good job on it, way better defending than Iandolo or Fryers IMO and can deliver a decent dead ball.

I suspect he will only be shrt term due to the many issues he has on and off the pitch, still make good use of what looks to be a decent player while we can.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #33236 on: Friday, October 18, 2019, 10:13:21 »

Nice chap or not off the field, he did a good job on it, way better defending than Iandolo or Fryers IMO and can deliver a decent dead ball.

I suspect he will only be shrt term due to the many issues he has on and off the pitch, still make good use of what looks to be a decent player while we can.

Indeed, interesting that the signing of a guy convicted of assaulting a woman and sacked for assault a few weeks back seems to be getting such little interest from fans when once considers the moral grandstanding which has happened in the past re Ranger, McCormack etc.

I see Tommy Wrights case kicked off yesterday, we really are becoming the home of the dubious footballer.
Flashheart

« Reply #33237 on: Friday, October 18, 2019, 10:34:52 »

Indeed, interesting that the signing of a guy convicted of assaulting a woman and sacked for assault a few weeks back seems to be getting such little interest from fans when once considers the moral grandstanding which has happened in the past re Ranger, McCormack etc.

Perhaps because the press hasn't picked up on it and helped to guide peoples' opinions for them?
NotHarryAgombar

Ignore
« Reply #33238 on: Friday, October 18, 2019, 15:30:29 »

I think timing also had a bit to do with it - the first we heard of the Donohue signing was travelling to the ground on Saturday and hearing team news on the radio. So many will have judged him based on the performance in that game rather than on any previous misdemeanours. Whereas LMc was signed in pre season and was understudy to  Vigs before playing - hence time for the usual suspects to wade in with their judgements before he appeared in the team. 
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #33239 on: Saturday, October 19, 2019, 01:26:44 »

I see Tommy Wrights case kicked off yesterday, we really are becoming the home of the dubious footballer.

Firstly, as has been mentioned most of us didn’t know about his signing till we saw the teamsheet Saturday. Despite all the ‘in the know’ about a defender training with us - no one provided a name...

That was a wise move by the club because Dion got to make his first impression on the pitch.

Secondly, Nile Ranger was a Premier League footballer, so much higher profile and automatically more newsworthy. LMc misdemeanour resulted in death so again a lot more newsworthy than ‘4th Division football convicted of assault’

Thirdly, I can only speak for myself here although I imagine there are others who were in the same boat. I’d never heard of him till he appeared on our team sheet and it wasn’t till I looked him up on the internet to find out who he was that I learned of his past behaviour.

Lastly and not really my place to say but isn’t the term assault a pretty loose one at best? Didn’t Adi Williams get done for assault whilst here because he stood on his Mrs foot whilst they were arguing supposedly allegedly possibly maybe

Pages: 1 ... 2213 2214 2215 [2216] 2217 2218 2219 ... 3970   Go Up
Print
Jump to: