Pages: 1 ... 1954 1955 1956 [1957] 1958 1959 1960 ... 3963   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 8867809 times)
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #29340 on: Friday, January 11, 2019, 13:17:08 »

I liked Blair Sturrock for precisely that reason.  (There weren't many other reasons.)

No amount of trying can make up for being a useless sack of shit in my book.

Chris Waddle was never taken to in England for the opposite reason.

I don't think Nelson is as good as made out - for starters he should score a few from corners and he gets dragged around a bit at times.  BUT, we looked much worse without him than I thought we would, so for me he'd be a very good signing.
Berniman
Sits in front of JFW

Miserable cnut (AKA Happy Clapper)

Ignore
« Reply #29341 on: Friday, January 11, 2019, 13:34:10 »

Agreed, he would.  I just don't believe we are doomed if we don't.  I do believe we are doomed if we don't start scoring goals.

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius

When somebody shouts STOP! I never know if it's in the name of love, if it's HAMMER TIME, or if I should collaborate and listen...
Shrivvy Road

« Reply #29342 on: Friday, January 11, 2019, 13:35:09 »

Personally, I think the Dyson is a better piece of equipment.
They suck
REDBUCK

« Reply #29343 on: Friday, January 11, 2019, 13:38:35 »

No amount of trying can make up for being a useless sack of shit in my book.

Chris Waddle was never taken to in England for the opposite reason.

I don't think Nelson is as good as made out - for starters he should score a few from corners and he gets dragged around a bit at times.  BUT, we looked much worse without him than I thought we would, so for me he'd be a very good signing.

Bit rich to slag him off for not scoring at corners and at the same slag of Taylor for his rubbish set piece deliveries
Panda Paws

« Reply #29344 on: Friday, January 11, 2019, 13:48:20 »

Nelson's a good L1 defender and we should try to sign him. He's not going to single-handedly or fundamentally change our destiny though.
Crozzer

Ignore
« Reply #29345 on: Friday, January 11, 2019, 14:24:01 »

I think Town fans like a trier..... not sure if it is all fans of other clubs, as my neutral support is somewhat limited. 

It kind of relates to my post about LMc, and how as fans we relate differently to different players, but someone like a Sid people see how they'd like to think they'd be, somewhat limited but giving it their all...cos it's football.

Shaun Taylor the classic example.... in the Prem we conceded 100 goals with Shaun in the heart of defence, but nobody minded.

Joe Butler who was a trier won 2 PotY awards, against the 1 for The Don.  Despite the fact many would say he was our greatest post War player.... there were plenty who felt that his more or less refusal to head the ball, and coming off the CG mudheap with pristine kit, was the mark of someone not really trying. 

Whereas little Joey seemed to appear out of the mud, get a block in, clear one off the line out of a puddle, and occasionally make a telling pass.

The Don always got an ironic cheer from the crowd when he headed the ball.  He didn't refuse to head the ball, he just didn't have that ability.  Joe Butler played like his life depended on it, great to watch.
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #29346 on: Friday, January 11, 2019, 15:25:00 »

Bit rich to slag him off for not scoring at corners and at the same slag of Taylor for his rubbish set piece deliveries

Taylor's free kicks are pretty damned good, always have been.  Corners we've been ok overall, some are poor some are good.  Richards nodded a set piece in, showing it's not always about height, but Nelson and Woolfenden don't offer enough threat for some reason.  Imagine if Taylor was hitting last seasons delivery into Flint!
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #29347 on: Friday, January 11, 2019, 15:31:05 »

He is 19 isn't he, not 23?
Yep, quoting from FB.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #29348 on: Friday, January 11, 2019, 15:35:23 »

Nelson's a good L1 defender and we should try to sign him. He's not going to single-handedly or fundamentally change our destiny though.
This.

He, as stated, wears his heart on his sleeve and will willingly draw blood for the team. He is the most commited defender since Shaun Taylor or Jon Gittens and will get whatever part of his body between the ball and the goal.

No hes not that good but he is only 23 and will improve with a decent defender alongside of him, he should score more from corners that was be a great attribute but Taylors corners this season have been so poor none of our players look like scoring from them.

Do I want him to sign? yes

Will it make or break the season if we don't? of course not.

BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #29349 on: Friday, January 11, 2019, 15:40:45 »

I am sure that you would get more credit if you explained how you seem to have this intricate knowledge of Nelson and his family, otherwise its all rather like that poster a few years back who seemed to have an unhealthy amount of knowledge regarding our youth team players?

Fair mate, but I'm not claiming intricate knowledge just done a few spades worth of digging. The source that knows Sid's Dad is genuine and I've no real reason to mistrust what he's said. I know I set myself up for this particular instance and I realise that in football (and many sports) that sometimes even the most concrete of deals don't happen. I'll say it's nothing like that at all, I have no links to Millwall other than a few friends who are from the Lewisham area.

Combining "what I've been told", while putting "shirt no.15 given to a new loanee Pearce", "contract ends close season and not being renewed" and a few other elements together. It's not hard to come to a conclusion that a player, who has mostly enjoyed his time here, done pretty well, is considered 5th choice at parent club, and wants to play first team football is mostly likely to choose Town to at least extend his loan. Town are most likely to have first refusal. The only way that could be stumped is if someone comes in and offers a "higher nominal" amount. Even then, Sid doesn't have to agree to the terms.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #29350 on: Friday, January 11, 2019, 15:52:30 »

Yep, quoting from FB.

l.ol and also the Adver had him as 19 in one article and when we signed him he'd become 18. What's that...he's a Highlander! A kind of reverse progeria.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29351 on: Friday, January 11, 2019, 15:58:36 »

l.ol and also the Adver had him as 19 in one article and when we signed him he'd become 18. What's that...he's a Highlander! A kind of reverse progeria.

It's not uinheard of for recent immigrant families, to claim their kids are younger than what they are, as there are advantages to it.... and no-one checks.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #29352 on: Friday, January 11, 2019, 15:58:53 »

This rate he could be the first toddler to play for Swindon!

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #29353 on: Friday, January 11, 2019, 16:24:34 »

It's not uinheard of for recent immigrant families, to claim their kids are younger than what they are, as there are advantages to it.... and no-one checks.

Except Ali isn't an immigrant. He was born in England  Hmmm

'Incessant Nonsense'

BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #29354 on: Friday, January 11, 2019, 16:28:03 »

This rate he could be the first toddler to play for Swindon!

When Town employ a phonics & phonetics coach then we know something is up!  Cheesy

'Incessant Nonsense'

Pages: 1 ... 1954 1955 1956 [1957] 1958 1959 1960 ... 3963   Go Up
Print
Jump to: