Pages: 1 ... 1949 1950 1951 [1952] 1953 1954 1955 ... 3965   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 8870569 times)
Flashheart

« Reply #29265 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 12:04:19 »

We're 7 points adrift, with 19 games left to play. While we've not made it easy for ourselves, you'd be fucking mad to write us off just yet. All it takes is a 2-3 game winning streak and we're right back in the mix again. It could even bring us within reach of the autos. I've seen some say we need automatic promotion form to reach the playoffs. While they might be right on paper, they are missing that 19 games is a very small sample size so averages are going to be significantly influenced by individual events (wins).

I'd hope the club are still doing what they can to reach the playoffs at least this season. Having only signed loans so far by no means suggests there is no intention to make some permanent signings as well. We can do both, and we're only 10 days into the window.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29266 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 12:23:27 »

I reckon its going to take 5 or 6 wins from the next 8 to be in with a shout.

Obviously not impossible, just highly improbable.  I think the club are recruiting accordingly, probably rightly so. We have a budget and only an outside shot at the playoffs.

In the summer we should be able to shift the surplus to requirement players. Then we'll see what Wellens/Jewell are about.

Wellens would be silly to just give up on it.

Well yes absoultely. Same as it ever was really. Just take the next game and try and win it, see where we land up.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 12:25:41 by Batch » Logged
Simon Pieman
Original Wanker

« Reply #29267 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 12:25:56 »

We're 7 points adrift, with 19 games left to play. While we've not made it easy for ourselves, you'd be fucking mad to write us off just yet. All it takes is a 2-3 game winning streak and we're right back in the mix again. It could even bring us within reach of the autos. I've seen some say we need automatic promotion form to reach the playoffs. While they might be right on paper, they are missing that 19 games is a very small sample size so averages are going to be significantly influenced by individual events (wins).

I'd hope the club are still doing what they can to reach the playoffs at least this season. Having only signed loans so far by no means suggests there is no intention to make some permanent signings as well. We can do both, and we're only 10 days into the window.

Likewise a smaller sample size means a loss destroys the average. We can only afford 2 or 3 losses unless we win 12+ of those 19 games. Not saying it couldn't happen, but that's what maths dictate.
Super Hans

Ignore
« Reply #29268 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 12:50:43 »

Looking forward to the day Lancashire and Robertson are released. Obviously nothing personal but they were Flitcroft's first two signings and they've been nothing short of disastrous.

Not writing this season off yet, still harbouring hopes for the play offs, but the summer should really allow us to rebuild and clear out a lot of crap.
ferret

Ignore
« Reply #29269 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 12:51:07 »

I don't see us making the playoffs, but the most important thing for me is to cling on to an outside, but still slightly realistic, chance for as long as we can.

We haven't done mid table too often over the years, so our fans don't take kindly to it. Although we ended up finishing 8th under Cooper in 13/14, that was largely because we won 6 out of 7 in and around April. I'll always remember how depressed things were in about February, when it looked inevitable that we were staying put.

If we had the same scenario again, but a division lower and with inferior home form, I think that the last 2-3 months of the season could be a painful process. If we could just get to, say, the 43 game mark and still have a sniff, that would put us into the summer on a much happier note.

The next 2 games are quite hard, so we really need to get some results out of them.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29270 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 13:03:52 »

I reckon its going to take 5 or 6 wins from the next 8 to be in with a shout.

Obviously not impossible, just highly improbable.  I think the club are recruiting accordingly, probably rightly so. We have a budget and only an outside shot at the playoffs.

In the summer we should be able to shift the surplus to requirement players. Then we'll see what Wellens/Jewell are about.

Well yes absoultely. Same as it ever was really. Just take the next game and try and win it, see where we land up.

When Wellens came in he said his remit was to get us to the PO's.... doesn't mean a whole lot as after the summer recruitment, it was pretty obvious Power was looking at staying in Div 4 with the vague hope that Brown might be able to add value to the squad... a few injuries etc rapidly put paid to that.

We had a semi serious flirtation with the drop zone after the Carlisle game, but the win at PV then 2 at home brought relief from that.  A serious push could have been made on the back of that bit like Carlisle have managed, after the Newport game we were 3 points ahead of them.... but it ddin't happen.

Reason we're not good enough.... the Macc result probably put to bed any lingering worries about going seriously backwards again, but so far in this window all we've done is lose a few kids and replace them with a few more.

If we carry on our form over the season we'd expect to win maybe another 6, draw maybe 6 and lose 6 with the spare game going anyway. If we give the spare game as a win we get 63 points good enough last year for 12th, where we are now.

Beating Lincoln might show that perhaps something is changing, but there really isn't anything about our side atm to think it's at all likely... we've only beaten 10 man Tranny of the current top 10.

Sometimes you can have a mid table side capable of raising their game against a table topper, I recall the 02/03 season when we beat Wigan 2-1 in Jan, but we had a few in that side who could at times raise their game, but not often enough to get out of mid table.  We finished 40 points adrift of the Latics.... but Kingy used elements of that side to make a decent fist of it in 03/04
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 13:06:03 by Reg Smeeton » Logged
Flashheart

« Reply #29271 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 13:05:49 »

Woolfenden's coming back, according to the Ipswich manager.

Edit... but they could still recall him before the window closes.
Panda Paws

« Reply #29272 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 13:06:10 »

Carlisle have won 5 on the spin and are now 5th. If we had beat them on Wellens' first day we'd have gone above them I think? Goes to show...
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29273 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 13:07:19 »

That would be good I like Woolf....
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29274 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 13:08:42 »

Carlisle have won 5 on the spin and are now 5th. If we had beat them on Wellens' first day we'd have gone above them I think? Goes to show...

Read my long above post... we went 3 above them after Newport.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29275 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 13:27:50 »

Edit... but they could still recall him before the window closes.

Good for Saturday at least.
Batch
Not a Batch

Ignore
« Reply #29276 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 13:29:31 »

Definitely fine margins.

At this stage I'm thinking the new boys are going to take a bit to bed in. If it turns out House is a goalscorer (or brings others into the game that are) then its just about possible.
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #29277 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 14:36:22 »

No nelson for saturday. Unable to do a deal with Millwall. Beginning to look elsewhere
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29278 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 14:39:24 »

No nelson for saturday. Unable to do a deal with Millwall. Beginning to look elsewhere

I think we need to hear from Bambi on this....
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #29279 on: Thursday, January 10, 2019, 14:40:22 »

Richie Wellens on Sid Nelson:

"He won't be involved on Saturday, we can't get a deal done with Millwall.

"I'm on the phone daily, but I'm starting to go down the route of looking elsewhere. We need to get plans in place that he might not come back to the club.

"I'd like to do a permanent deal, but that's not possible."

Certainly not a formality then.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Pages: 1 ... 1949 1950 1951 [1952] 1953 1954 1955 ... 3965   Go Up
Print
Jump to: