Pages: 1 ... 1722 1723 1724 [1725] 1726 1727 1728 ... 3963   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 8867974 times)
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25860 on: Friday, September 1, 2017, 14:29:06 »

He seemed to like Thomas too but we couldnt accomodate him into our style under DF.

Standard practice to say you like a player shortly before shipping him out. Nothing to be gained by slagging off individuals.
Red Frog
Not a Dave

Pondlife

Ignore
« Reply #25861 on: Friday, September 1, 2017, 14:32:44 »

I think Belfords downfall was that he wasn't very good

Monstrously unfair.

« Last Edit: Friday, September 1, 2017, 14:35:24 by Red Frog » Logged

Tout ce que je sais de plus sűr ŕ propos de la moralité et des obligations des hommes, c'est au football que je le dois. - Albert Camus
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25862 on: Friday, September 1, 2017, 14:47:21 »

Little did I think that night, that we'd be below Newport in the league a mere 3 years later.
Tails

Git facked

Ignore
« Reply #25863 on: Friday, September 1, 2017, 14:55:27 »

You predict us to be relegated nearly every year Reg.... I'm surprised that you're surprised. If things went the way of Reg I imagine we'd be three leagues below Newport.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25864 on: Friday, September 1, 2017, 15:10:25 »

You predict us to be relegated nearly every year Reg.... I'm surprised that you're surprised. If things went the way of Reg I imagine we'd be three leagues below Newport.

I rarely make predictions especially early on in a season, however I make observations.  Sadly in the 21st Century, we've tended to have more bad than good.
BambooToTheFuture

I'll Tell Ya Now - McGurk Is The New Graham

Ignore
« Reply #25865 on: Friday, September 1, 2017, 15:47:29 »

Knoyle is a right back

Maybe so, however to me he's a Full Back and as a pro you should be able to play at either LB or RB. Just as a LW should be able to play as a RW. Different if you're a CB. CB should be able to play as LCB, SWP or RCB.

'Incessant Nonsense'

'I'm gonna tell you the secret.
There's a threat, you end it and you don't feel ashamed about enjoying it.
You smell the gunpowder and you see the blood, you know what that means?
It means you're alive. You've won.
You take the heads so that you don't ever forget.'
kaufman

« Reply #25866 on: Friday, September 1, 2017, 20:18:44 »

I don't remember any full backs in my time watching town who could play either left back or right back comfortably.

Well I must admit I'm stumped.
I can only see a formation change with these signings.
I still feel Dunne and Linganzi's form is key to us going up or not and wouldn't be surprised to see a signing in their position come Jan. (Taylor won't shore up the midfield that's for sure)

All will become more clear tomorrow but agreed that Brophy and perhaps even Norris have gone down the pecking order.

A front two of Woolery and Anderson with balls down the channels looks an interesting prospect.
We just got to hope they can get the service.

Just hope Flitcroft gets a settled side.
I noticed someone got caught out with the hoax STFC page claiming we'd signed Nathan Byrne back on here last night. It was pretty convincing.

« Last Edit: Saturday, September 2, 2017, 12:23:41 by kaufman » Logged
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #25867 on: Friday, September 1, 2017, 22:00:31 »

I don't remember any full backs in my time watching town who could play either left back or right back comfortably.

Well I must admit I'm stumped.
I can only see a formation change with these signings.
I still feel Dunne and Linganzi form is key to us going up or not and wouldn't be surprised to see a signing in their position come Jan. (Taylor won't shore up the midfield that's for sure)

While your observation may be true, i'm going by my own experience. At age 8 I was identified as a defender. played all DF positions and it was standard practise that we should be able to pass, control and tackle well with both feet (not at the same time though Smiley ). We should be able to adapt to a LB or RB position with relative ease. At CB it was the same or to be a sweeper  if playing in a back 5. That was how we were trained and when I settled as a CB we were expected to sprint as fast as our wingers! But if you ask Jayo, I was shit at football so clearly know buggar all  Grin Grin

Think you're right RE: Dunne & Linganzi btw.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Frigby Daser

Ignore
« Reply #25868 on: Friday, September 1, 2017, 22:05:35 »

Maybe so, however to me he's a Full Back and as a pro you should be able to play at either LB or RB. Just as a LW should be able to play as a RW. Different if you're a CB. CB should be able to play as LCB, SWP or RCB.

I think for very limited defensive full backs (e.g, Purkiss, or a Jamie Vincent) , perhaps - but even they will have a preferred/better side. The more attacking they are, the greater the preference for a particular flank - would Caddis be any good at left back - doubtful, and certainly wouldn't overlap and whip balls in with his left like he did with his right.
BambooToTheFuture

Ignore
« Reply #25869 on: Friday, September 1, 2017, 22:29:31 »

I think for very limited defensive full backs (e.g, Purkiss, or a Jamie Vincent) , perhaps - but even they will have a preferred/better side. The more attacking they are, the greater the preference for a particular flank - would Caddis be any good at left back - doubtful, and certainly wouldn't overlap and whip balls in with his left like he did with his right.

I'd think someone with Caddis talent would (if playing LB) have the ability to cut inside and whip inswinging balls into the box. Like Ritchie, albeit not with the same speed. I see where you are coming from though. I just feel a professional should be able to do the basics very very well. Tackling, passing and control with both feet. Some naturally have it but lots of practise and it's a learned skill.

'Incessant Nonsense'

Barry Scott

« Reply #25870 on: Friday, September 1, 2017, 22:43:31 »

I believe Caddis was played at left back on more than one occasion and was almost as good. By recollection, he was pretty good with both feet, wasn't he?
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #25871 on: Friday, September 1, 2017, 22:51:00 »

I'd think someone with Caddis talent would (if playing LB) have the ability to cut inside and whip inswinging balls into the box. Like Ritchie, albeit not with the same speed. I see where you are coming from though. I just feel a professional should be able to do the basics very very well. Tackling, passing and control with both feet. Some naturally have it but lots of practise and it's a learned skill.
To be honest I don't think this is the case at any level, obviously there are a few exceptions but most players are predominantly one footed. Messi who's arguably the best ever almost never uses his right foot, same for Ronaldo with his left and that's the very top elite level. Look at the number of year England had the left sided problem where there was basically no one could play there. Players can fill in but they will never be anywhere as good as on their natural side.
There's the modern phenomenon of inverted wingers like Ritchie who play on the 'wrong' side so they can cut in and shoot but that sacrifices getting to the byline and getting crosses in a lot of the time.
FreddySTFC!

Ignore
« Reply #25872 on: Friday, September 1, 2017, 23:01:34 »

I rarely make predictions especially early on in a season, however I make observations.  Sadly in the 21st Century, we've tended to have more bad than good.
Predictions are a bit of fun Reg. They're not an indictment of your football knowledge. Or are you afraid of being exposed by Ferret when u get it wrong 9 months down the line?

I have a culture, I don't stop my culture!!
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #25873 on: Saturday, September 2, 2017, 00:58:50 »

Predictions are a bit of fun Reg. They're not an indictment of your football knowledge. Or are you afraid of being exposed by Ferret when u get it wrong 9 months down the line?

Fun is good. You don't post on the TEF to be taken seriously.
SuggWillSugg MBE

Ignore
« Reply #25874 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2017, 21:11:29 »

Just to help fuel the gossip, Vigouroux has just posted on instagram he’s moving out of Wootton Bassett and back to London…

Pages: 1 ... 1722 1723 1724 [1725] 1726 1727 1728 ... 3963   Go Up
Print
Jump to: