Pages: 1 ... 2510 2511 2512 [2513] 2514 2515 2516 ... 3977   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 8966953 times)
tans
You spin me right round baby right round

Ignore
« Reply #37680 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 07:14:29 »

Agreed, been long enough now
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #37681 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 07:28:10 »

With the cap now in place how does Woolery think he’s getting loads more oop norf?

Unless we’re offering way under the cap max.
Nomoreheroes
The Moral Majority

Ignore
« Reply #37682 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 07:34:38 »

I think we should just calm down and wait and see what happens.

None of us know what has been offered, how it compares to last year, to other players at the club, to the cap, to what has been offered elsewhere or to the general L1 and L2 market. The implication is that the club has offered what Wellens thinks they are worth and this doesn't match what they both want.

There is no point in applying aggressive deadlines, but both parties are free to look elsewhere and the risk that they are taking in not caving in to the other side. So, they might sign or they might not - Meh!

You're my incurable malady. I miss the pleasure of your company.
Flashheart

« Reply #37683 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 07:46:23 »

There is no point in applying aggressive deadlines,

Preseason has literally already started and our first competitive game is less than 4 weeks away.

And it would hardly be aggressive considering how long they've had already. Of course, Wellens knows best, but I would not be surprised if deadlines are given soon. If they have not been already.

I think Wellens said something about the chance of them losing out of we sign somebody else in the meantime. I would not be surprised if that happens with at least one of them.
DiV
Has also heard this

Joseph McLaughlin

Ignore
« Reply #37684 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 07:55:25 »

My thoughts exactly Dan

I mean he will have a better idea than us.

As much as he’s willing to gamble his career on a purple patch - there will no doubt be clubs willing to gamble on that too, however I’d have thought if that was the case he’d have signed elsewhere by now. Like Doyle in a sense.

Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #37685 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 08:24:33 »

Lets be fair to both Isgrove and Woolery. We don't know their situations. Are the new contracts less than they were already getting paid? Were they led to believe promotion would see increases? etc etc.

I don't begrudge anyone suddenly finding out they are not going to get paid what they though they would.

The market conditions of this window are pretty spicy, especially with the player caps for over 21 in the bottom two divisions. I think a lot of players risk finding themselves without clubs.

The transfer market is as usual a bit blocked up at this point. Until clubs know what standard of under 21 players they can sign permanently or on loan, they don't know what they need to spend capped money on.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #37686 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 08:29:27 »

That’s not really the point, though. Both aren’t training at the moment so are way behind the rest of the squad. When the games start in earnest they won’t be fit.

I say give them til this weekend then bin them off.
Flashheart

« Reply #37687 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 08:31:20 »

They've every right to try and find better. Nobody is saying otherwise.

And the club has every right to say enough is enough. We have a squad to build.
Panda Paws

« Reply #37688 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 08:42:40 »

A deadline acheives nothing. KW and Isgrove are two players that we're in talks with to sign, two of many. Their previous club is irrelevant.

By saying we won't sign them after this weekend would be the same as saying that to anyone else we're talking to who is out of contract.

When we reach an agreement with a target - KW, Isgrove, a.n. other - the rest of them miss out. It's the player's prerogative to play that game, and reducing our options with pointless deadlines doesn't help.

It's not like we're waiting for them to decide before we do anything else....
Flashheart

« Reply #37689 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 08:53:17 »

It's not like we're waiting for them to decide before we do anything else....

If that were the case then I would not give a flying one.

But I doubt it is true as there's only limited budget and places available. And how long will other targets be willing to wait for our own(ish) players to make up their minds?

It's all speculation really as none of us know what is happening. But both may be playing a game that they could easily end up losing.

Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #37690 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 09:10:02 »

If that were the case then I would not give a flying one.

But I doubt it is true as there's only limited budget and places available. And how long will other targets be willing to wait for our own(ish) players to make up their minds?

It's all speculation really as none of us know what is happening. But both may be playing a game that they could easily end up losing.
Yes, I am sure that Isgrove and Woolery would take a fair amount of the budget thats left, they must both have been on a decent wage.

Freeing that wage early by giving them a deadline to sign would allow Wellens to know how much he can afford in wages to replace them and get new players in asap for pre season training, something Woolery and Isgrove are now behind the others with too.

To get good team cohesion I am pretty sure Wellens wants any new signing in place as soon as he can so they can get to know our style and Wellens methods well before they have to be played in anger in 4 weeks time.

Any late loan signings will be a bit of a gamble anyway as they always are, but we need to get permanent signings in sooner rather than later so they can used to the club, the surroundings and what is needed and expected from them on the pitch.

And as I said the other day they have at least been offered a new contract rather than the thousands of other players out there desperate to find a new club after being released. Both could end up with no club and no contract, as FH says it is a dangerous game for them to be playing under the current circumstances, even if the contract is less than what they were on previously at least it is a solid contract offer.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #37691 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 09:18:11 »

Difficult to accept lower wages when you’ve just been promoted, though. Quite reasonable to expect a rise.

I’d expect any club interested in signing either or both of them want them to make up their mind pretty quickly, too.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #37692 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 09:20:08 »

Time for them to piss or get off the pot, decent players on their day, but plenty of similarly decent players out there, not sure either have the stature in the game (and present climate) to be playing bobby big bollocks with anyone.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #37693 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 09:22:49 »

Yup
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #37694 on: Friday, August 14, 2020, 09:22:54 »

Arguably our 3 best players last season all signed after the season started in Doyle, Grant and Benda. Isgrove and Lyden only rocked up a couple of weeks before the season started after being unattached.  There's no point setting deadlines, instead just get the best players you can prior to the transfer window closing. If Wellens thinks that is Isgrove and Woolery then he can chase them as long as he likes IMO like he would any other player.
Pages: 1 ... 2510 2511 2512 [2513] 2514 2515 2516 ... 3977   Go Up
Print
Jump to: