Pages: 1 ... 2506 2507 2508 [2509] 2510 2511 2512 ... 3977   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 8975770 times)
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #37620 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 11:27:27 »

Well supported clubs have far greater revenue streams and rightly so, that way you don't get teams like Salford and FGR with an average home attendance of 2,000 and under  being able to outspend teams with an average gate of 10,000. Player wages should be funded by fans bums on seats and merchandise and not by frivolous owner spending.

But thats just my opinion.

If you want to become a big team then play good football get a decent fan base and build on it. Any extra income from sponsorship etc should be made to be spent on facilities inside the ground for fans or training facilities for the players, or heaven forbid, into owners pockets or club coffers for rainy day funds, controversial? maybe.

Understand the intent here but not sure i entirely agree. Unless your club plays in a big city for example then you are all but excluded from being one of those largely supported clubs.

The TV money that props clubs up at premier league levels allows a lot of other teams to compete, which is probably a good thing. The problem is that model doesn't work anywhere below the premier league and then you have clubs gambling like crazy.

Owner spending is fine imo, if its done well. Take the Man City approach, new stadium, new training campus, new youth structure, they have dragged that club up to tier 1 status by investment everywhere. Which is great.

If its done badly and you are bournemouth (who i hope crash down through the league) then its unsustainable.

Sure those clubs are very different in stature. But what teams like Swindon need are investment and owners who develop the ground, training facilites, youth academies etc and fund the losses until it starts to pay for itself.
pauld
Aaron Aardvark

Absolute Calamity!

Ignore
« Reply #37621 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 11:40:51 »

I have always said and always will that a properly managed FFP/SCMP is a far better option with penalties like point deductions and relegation for anyone breaking the rules and totally stopping the "sponsorship loan injection" loophole that has been abused so often by Bournemouth, Salford, FGR etc etc.
This. Without proper monitoring and enforcement it matters not one jot what the rules are whether it be % of revenue, flat salary caps or minimum watermelon quotas, if they're not properly monitored and enforced, those that want to will just drive a coach and horses through them. As like as not then when the League do decide to belatedly punish someone after multiple flagrant breaches, they'll ignore the worst offenders and go after some poor buggers who tried to stay inside the rules but got caught on a technicality or stitched up by a dishonest owner who's already departed taking his profit with him
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #37622 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 11:46:01 »

Absolutely.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Panda Paws

« Reply #37623 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 12:09:48 »

As I posted the other day....

1. Spend whatever you like, like every other business, but live and die by the sword.

Simple.

Fixed for you.

horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #37624 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 12:13:20 »

If you want to become a big team then play good football get a decent fan base and build on it.

Just to come back to this, can this actually be done in the modern era, when potential fans outside (or even inside the town) can engage with Barcelona as easily as Swindon. Even if Town were to make it back to the Championship would it have that great effect upon the supporter base, setting aside the limitations of the ground capacity. PL is a different story, albeit how many Town fans who rolled up in 93/94 are still going now?

Round here we didn't really have a local club until Barrow got promoted, but at our little un's school when they have football shirt days its probably 99% the big 6, even Preston which isn't a million miles away does not get a look in. I do fear she is going to get the piss taken out of her when she wears hers next year, even more so as its pink/purple!!    
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 12:39:46 by horlock07 » Logged
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #37625 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 12:26:45 »

FUCKING RUMOURS YOU CUNTS
Old_Town_Red

Ignore
« Reply #37626 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 12:28:07 »

I'll get this thread back onto transfer rumours.

Kyle Bennett told he isn't in the managers plans for next season.

Yay or nay?
Flashheart

« Reply #37627 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 12:33:23 »

Yay or nay?

Nah.

I'm sure Messrs Wellens and Jewell can work their mojo and get better.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #37628 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 12:41:08 »

Yay or nay?
Rovers are desperate to get his huge wage (£5kpw according to the gas forum) off the books, so its a no from me as it fucks them up.

He was good for us in about half the games he played, which is still more consistant than Isgrove but his wage could be spent more wisely on better players.

Old_Town_Red

Ignore
« Reply #37629 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 12:54:11 »

Rovers are desperate to get his huge wage (£5kpw according to the gas forum) off the books, so its a no from me as it fucks them up.

He was good for us in about half the games he played, which is still more consistant than Isgrove but his wage could be spent more wisely on better players.

I felt that way when he joined, he gradually improved game by game but he'd have take a pay cut to join us perm surely. That's a big wage.
jayohaitchenn
Wielder of the BANHAMMER

« Reply #37630 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 13:19:26 »

I liked him. Decent at creating and chipped in with some goals too. Not worth that wage though so he'll have to decide if he wants to play football or get paid.
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #37631 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 13:23:26 »

Only saw him at Carlisle where he was dreadful at left mid, better when an injury led to a reshuffle and he was moved inside, but not £5k per week better!
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #37632 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 08:28:34 »

George Williams, who we had on trial, looks like he’s about to sign for Grimsby.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #37633 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 08:45:28 »

That probably means then that Wellens has a better player lined up.

Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #37634 on: Thursday, August 13, 2020, 08:46:40 »

Nobody really thought we would sign him though did they? Its bodies for preseason while they try and fill out the squad.

All seems to have gone a bit quiet at the moment.
Pages: 1 ... 2506 2507 2508 [2509] 2510 2511 2512 ... 3977   Go Up
Print
Jump to: