Pages: 1 ... 2505 2506 2507 [2508] 2509 2510 2511 ... 3966   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 8871160 times)
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #37605 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 10:37:34 »

Interesting post PV. I have to say i had missed the player cap element. Also can you link where it says u21 dont count towards salary cap?

The way Wellens was talking last night the cap will definitely be hindering him. Talking about all the non wage items that are included within the 2.5m. I had thought our budget would be about that anyway, but who knows.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #37606 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 10:42:12 »

Interesting post PV. I have to say i had missed the player cap element. Also can you link where it says u21 dont count towards salary cap?

The way Wellens was talking last night the cap will definitely be hindering him. Talking about all the non wage items that are included within the 2.5m. I had thought our budget would be about that anyway, but who knows.

Problem is I bet you need to build in loads of contingency for January and bonuses so you can't actually go near the 」2.5m. If we are winning lots of games and you have a player like Doyle that bangs in a ridiculous amount of goals you could end up paying so much in performances and goal bonuses that you smash through the cap.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I知 A Scientist.

« Reply #37607 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 10:42:57 »

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/league-one-salary-cap-to-affect-ipswich-town-1-6785446

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2020/8/10/21359810/are-the-league-one-squad-and-salary-caps-unfair-to-sunderland-afc

The limits do not apply to under 21 players, and this change should, therefore, drive the club to spend our vastly superior revenues on identifying and coaching home-grown talent.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Panda Paws

« Reply #37608 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 10:45:05 »

I made my feelings re salary clear on the LS Pod with Rich on Sunday, but to be clear, it's a fucking proposterous limitation of earnings and restriction of business. I'd be shocked if it's ever enforced...

Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #37609 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 10:46:28 »

Found somewhere that seems to explain all the details

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/explained-how-new-squad-salary-caps-league-one-will-affect-clubs-including-doncaster-rovers-2936369

I wonder what flexibility there is within this exception

'The cap does not include financial incentives and bonuses offered for progress in cup competitions or promotion'

Could we offer a bonus for finishing top half for example that would then be excluded?

Anyway given our current spend is probably below the 」1.7m you have used as the average. As each player over will be considered the average so we just have to think about people earning less than ~2.1k a week, i would struggle to believe Broadbent, Reid, Iandolo are on that amount.

Looks like there is plenty of flex for Richie to work. The problem becomes if he wanted to use loans for players over 21. I guess like last season with Doyle and Yates.

Peter Venkman

« Reply #37610 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 10:50:24 »

As I posted the other day....

1. Spend whatever you like
2. Get promoted
3. Hire Man City's lawyers

Simple.

theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #37611 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 10:51:32 »

I made my feelings re salary clear on the LS Pod with Rich on Sunday, but to be clear, it's a fucking proposterous limitation of earnings and restriction of business. I'd be shocked if it's ever enforced...

Agreed, Pompey have a turnover of 」12m and can only spend 21% on wages which is beyond ridiculous. It's just going to bring more chancers into the game as well as there could theoretically be more money sloshing round in club accounts. Only teams it will help are the Premier League teams (as always) as it will further widen the gap and relegated teams from the Championship as they'll always get a year or 2 grace to comply so will still be able to pay significantly more in wages making it even harder for existing league 1 clubs to get promotion.
theakston2k

Ignore
« Reply #37612 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 10:53:20 »

Found somewhere that seems to explain all the details

https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/explained-how-new-squad-salary-caps-league-one-will-affect-clubs-including-doncaster-rovers-2936369

I wonder what flexibility there is within this exception

'The cap does not include financial incentives and bonuses offered for progress in cup competitions or promotion'

Could we offer a bonus for finishing top half for example that would then be excluded?

That will be the loophole clubs will exploit, you'll probably see players getting 」100k bonuses for playing an EFL trophy match for 5 minutes.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #37613 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 10:58:47 »

It is one of the most stupid rules brought into football that I can think of.

If you are going to limit squad size and player earnings then start it at the top where the problem is massive, not at the bottom end of the problem.

Many chairmen voted for it purely to fuck up other clubs spending powers when their own playing budget is way less than the prospective 」2.5m budget anyway, its almost like schadenfreude.

I have always said and always will that a properly managed FFP/SCMP is a far better option with penalties like point deductions and relegation for anyone breaking the rules and totally stopping the "sponsorship loan injection" loophole that has been abused so often by Bournemouth, Salford, FGR etc etc.

Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #37614 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 10:59:54 »

Tyler Smith is 21, that Ipswich article explains that players 21 or over at the turn of the calendar year will count toward the squad size of 22.  Wiki lists Smith's birth date as 04/12/1998 so we actually already have 16 O21 players in the squad.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #37615 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 11:01:17 »

Tyler Smith is 21, that Ipswich article explains that players 21 or over at the turn of the calendar year will count toward the squad size of 22.  Wiki lists Smith birth date as 04/12/1998 so we actually already have 16 O21 players in the squad.
Ah I glanced and read it as at the start of the current season not the current year.

Kinky Tom
Snow Master Sandwich King.

Ignore
« Reply #37616 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 11:03:40 »

Ah I glanced and read it as at the start of the current season not the current year.

I was hoping to find something to prove my thoughts wrong, still 6 players to work with there though, as it stands.

Edit - I expect we'll leave a couple of spots empty too for a bit of room to add in January.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 11:05:18 by Kinky Tom » Logged
horlock07

Lives in Northern Bastard Outpost

Ignore
« Reply #37617 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 11:04:56 »

It is one of the most stupid rules brought into football that I can think of.

That's quite the statement considering the field of stupid we have to choose from!

If you are going to limit squad size and player earnings then start it at the top where the problem is massive, not at the bottom end of the problem.

Problem is massive, but no one is rapidly heading towards liquidation, I suspect that's the main driver, yes the numbers are massive, but so are the awards.

I have always said and always will that a properly managed FFP/SCMP is a far better option with penalties like point deductions and relegation for anyone breaking the rules and totally stopping the "sponsorship loan injection" loophole that has been abused so often by Bournemouth, Salford, FGR etc etc.

Thing is with the tribal nature of football if its happening to your club most supporters couldn't give a fuck. Say if Power sold the naming rights to himself as the Lee Power Bowl for 」100m I would suspect most Town fans would lap it up (although Cheltenham Boy would be whinging about something) and get snarky with other clubs calling us cheating bastards.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 11:06:34 by horlock07 » Logged
Riddick

Ignore
« Reply #37618 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 11:17:39 »

I dont agree with a salary cap, though i would think it benefits little old Swindon relatively in league one. It would have been terrible in league two for us.

The player cap i do agree with. But it needs to exist at the top level as well, they are the ones that hoard the players. Now our out is to loan all the young players the top clubs also hoard (as most clubs cant afford youth development), which sort of justifies the top clubs keeping them all which feels a bit shit.

While on face value this helps control clubs in reality it just distances us even further from the top two divisions while they can do what the fuck they want really.

Cap premier league player numbers for both first teams and youth teams so they can't hoard. Allow us to actually have local young players that stay and develop as opposed to get sold to Derby for nothing.

Got to feel for people like Rose. We would keep him but now we have to say his position is better given to an u21 player.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #37619 on: Wednesday, August 12, 2020, 11:18:15 »

That's quite the statement considering the field of stupid we have to choose from!
Oh indeed it is!

Problem is massive, but no one is rapidly heading towards liquidation, I suspect that's the main driver, yes the numbers are massive, but so are the awards.
Wigan are possibly the closest so far but if you look at Bournemouth the way they are dismantling the team and management shows they are sailing close to the egde, more so if the Russian removes his funding.

Thing is with the tribal nature of football if its happening to your club most supporters couldn't give a fuck. Say if Power sold the naming rights to himself as the Lee Power Bowl for 」100m I would suspect most Town fans would lap it up (although Cheltenham Boy would be whinging about something) and get snarky with other clubs calling us cheating bastards.
Yes most fans would like it, but I think nobody should be able to do it, if you have a team with more fans through the gates then you should be allowed to spend more on players, if you have less fans through the gates then you can spend less.

Well supported clubs have far greater revenue streams and rightly so, that way you don't get teams like Salford and FGR with an average home attendance of 2,000 and under  being able to outspend teams with an average gate of 10,000. Player wages should be funded by fans bums on seats and merchandise and not by frivolous owner spending.

But thats just my opinion.

If you want to become a big team then play good football get a decent fan base and build on it. Any extra income from sponsorship etc should be made to be spent on facilities inside the ground for fans or training facilities for the players, or heaven forbid, into owners pockets or club coffers for rainy day funds, controversial? maybe.

Pages: 1 ... 2505 2506 2507 [2508] 2509 2510 2511 ... 3966   Go Up
Print
Jump to: