Pages: 1 ... 2166 2167 2168 [2169] 2170 2171 2172 ... 3977   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 8971689 times)
Legends-Lounge

Non PC straight talking tory Brexit voter on this

Ignore
« Reply #32520 on: Sunday, August 4, 2019, 09:11:35 »

Apparently we’re interested in Carson, a keeper at Motherwell

As long as he’s not called Frank or Willie.
Trashbat?

Ignore
« Reply #32521 on: Sunday, August 4, 2019, 09:58:10 »

Celtic wanted Carson last year and were offering £375k for him. He got a DVT back in November ‘18 which ended his season.
Very highly thought of as a keeper from what I can see.
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #32522 on: Sunday, August 4, 2019, 10:43:27 »

Can't see Carson coming myself.

Hes been given the number 1 jersey at Motherwell again this season and still has another year left on his contract.

Played a few games for Norn Iron and has a good reputation.

I would be surprised to see us after a (probably) fairly large wage 1st choice keeper who is 31 and they would want a fee for when we already have LMc who performed impeccably yesterday.
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 4, 2019, 10:45:11 by Peter Venkman » Logged

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
scribblemilk

Ignore
« Reply #32523 on: Sunday, August 4, 2019, 13:05:51 »

Can't see Carson coming myself.

Hes been given the number 1 jersey at Motherwell again this season and still has another year left on his contract.

Played a few games for Norn Iron and has a good reputation.

I would be surprised to see us after a (probably) fairly large wage 1st choice keeper who is 31 and they would want a fee for when we already have LMc who performed impeccably yesterday.

Its obvious that Wellens wants another keeper who can compete for the number 1 jersey, LMc did well from a defensive point of view but his distribution was very questionable, and Wellens likes to play out from the back so i totally understand why he is looking for another keeper. Carson has spent the majority of his career in league 1 and 2 so would seem a good fit.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #32524 on: Sunday, August 4, 2019, 13:13:26 »

Its obvious Wellens wants 1st team competition for LMc I just question whether Wellens will spend a chunk of the budget on a transfer fee and 1st team wages.

Maybe if we move on at least McGlashan and Toums there could be enough wages freed.

From the Motherwell forum:

Hopefully more than Swindon interested and we could get a reasonable fee is he is to move on? Gillespie looks to be in great form so the move makes sense.

I'd be in two minds about Carson moving on.
Selfishly I'm not unhappy that we have two excellent "first-choice" keepers on the books when you consider that twice last season we required keepers to come off the bench and of course we had Carson's "injury" emerge from nowhere. It illustrates that if you can afford to run with two, it's no bad thing.
But then there's the consideration that he's in his last year and should we look to get a fee?  Is it wrong to make the assumption he would show the same kind of form he did before? Given  how the club have worked in the past with the likes of Andy Rose is there some kind gentleman's agreement in there about bids for him (especially after the Celtic bid?).

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #32525 on: Sunday, August 4, 2019, 13:29:59 »

One of his stats states 75% of his long clearances found a teammate.

With the pace we have up top that’d create a chance or two.
scribblemilk

Ignore
« Reply #32526 on: Sunday, August 4, 2019, 13:36:28 »

Statistically long goal clearances are more likely to come back in the form of a clearance putting us under pressure again, we saw that yesterday, Scunthorpe were pressured in the first half and cleared the ball long back at us, with two very cultured centrebacks it makes more sense to play out from the back, which is how Wellens likes to play.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #32527 on: Sunday, August 4, 2019, 13:37:48 »

Theres no doubt a keeper can fit a role in a team and improve the side.

Under Macari when we won the championship in Div 4 we have Kenny Allen in goal, a journeyman keeper who was a poor shot stopper but he was massive at about 6 foot 5 and strong and he could come out and claim every single cross put into our box.

That was back when all teams had a huge big man or 2 up front in this division, Allen used to come out and catch the ball at its highest point so no striker could get near it and must have caught 95% of all crosses.

He then launched it upfield to our big man or out to the wingers with brilliant accuracy creating an instant counter attack, creating loads of chances and goals for the side.

We are a counter attacking side, definately away from home, so yes a decent distributer in goal could make a lot of difference, as long as we have a target man who can get on the end of any long punts too.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #32528 on: Sunday, August 4, 2019, 13:39:39 »

Strange goings on with Jamie Devitt. Blackpool’s previous manager signed him and Grayson isn’t keen on him at all - not even on the bench yesterday.

He’s looking to get rid - even a loan!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #32529 on: Sunday, August 4, 2019, 13:40:58 »

Strange goings on with Jamie Devitt. Blackpool’s previous manager signed him and Grayson isn’t keen on him at all - not even on the bench yesterday.

He’s looking to get rid - even a loan!
Swap for Anderson.

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #32530 on: Sunday, August 4, 2019, 13:41:54 »

Rather have Anderson - well, yesterday’s Anderson.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #32531 on: Sunday, August 4, 2019, 13:56:02 »

LMc shanked at least a couple of goal kicks into touch quite badly yesterday.
I like him as a keeper and there were many 'LV wouldn't have done that' moments last season.

Just have a niggly feeling that he's not sustainable for a full season as first choice gk, hence the need for some serious competition.

Anyone who was at Rochdale for his debut will always have a soft spot for Will Henry.
I'd love to see him succeed here and for that reason hope we can go far in the Farcical Trophy.

But his subsequent opportunities all looked a bit Ty Belford to me.

As a complete aside, I like it that Steve Mildenhall wears gk gloves throughout the warm up even though there is no need for him to do so.
GK's union!
Listening to him yesterday was an eye opener. Very encouraging and positive advice all the way through.
Also not seen a dedicated 'palm the ball off to one side' routine before.

Looking forward to the outfield diving routine in a future pre match warm up, or is that for the training ground only. Hmmm

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Peter Venkman

« Reply #32532 on: Sunday, August 4, 2019, 14:04:49 »

Rather have Anderson - well, yesterday’s Anderson.
On yesterdays showing...yes.

On average over a season...probably not.

Munichred

Ignore
« Reply #32533 on: Sunday, August 4, 2019, 14:37:51 »

LMc shanked at least a couple of goal kicks into touch quite badly yesterday.

Lmc put a goal kick straight into touch towards the end yesterday.The way I saw it, he'd just been told something by one of the defenders and when the ball went out we immediately made a substitution. So I think that kick into touch was intentional.
Wobbly Bob

Ignore
« Reply #32534 on: Sunday, August 4, 2019, 15:43:51 »

Lmc put a goal kick straight into touch towards the end yesterday.The way I saw it, he'd just been told something by one of the defenders and when the ball went out we immediately made a substitution. So I think that kick into touch was intentional.

Fair enough.
From memory most of our keepers from Fraser onwards had the ability to hoof the ball out of play, not necessarily on demand, from a goal kick or free play and some could do it from ball in hand as well.

Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Crap!
Pages: 1 ... 2166 2167 2168 [2169] 2170 2171 2172 ... 3977   Go Up
Print
Jump to: