Pages: 1 ... 2039 2040 2041 [2042] 2043 2044 2045 ... 3977   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 8974420 times)
Costanza

Ignore
« Reply #30615 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 07:45:07 »

Perhaps the Knoyle contract situation spooked Dion!?

Smiley
The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #30616 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 08:00:37 »

Hopefully hear about Devitt today - one way or another. Said his goodbyes at Carlisle yesterday.
Bob's Orange
Has brain escape barriers

Ignore
« Reply #30617 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 08:37:03 »

Relatively pleased Conroy is staying. Of all our Centre Backs, he's probably the one who has it in his locker to be a cultured ball playing centre back. Put a big lump next to him and we could be in business.

we've been to Aberdeen, we hate the Hibs, they make us spew up, so make some noise,
the gorgie boys, for Hearts in Europe.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #30618 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 08:58:08 »

Relatively pleased Conroy is staying. Of all our Centre Backs, he's probably the one who has it in his locker to be a cultured ball playing centre back. Put a big lump next to him and we could be in business.

One good thing with CB's is that they do tend to improve with age.... Dion still has a lot to do on the defensive side, but that can come with experience. 
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Things can only get better

« Reply #30619 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 09:10:56 »

One good thing with CB's is that they do tend to improve with age.... Dion still has a lot to do on the defensive side, but that can come with experience.  
CBs do reach their prime later than most other positions, other than keeper of course.

Conroy showed glimpses of decent blocking and some tackling last year and his distribution is pretty good, could happily sit in front of a back 4/3 if needed. His one major flaw though is heading, it stops him being able to defend set peices and that cost us probably between 5 and 10 goals last season I would guess.

His jump and heading reach is not good at all and that needs work. His block tackling has improved 100% this last season but if he can defend corners/set peices that would turn him from a decent defender into a very good one. With a big stopper CB alongside him could work well, not sure Broadbent is that type of CB but Nelson certainly is.

Hopefully Conroy signs for another couple of years he could be a huge asset with a little work.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #30620 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 09:18:55 »

CBs do reach their prime later than most other positions, other than keeper of course.

Conroy showed glimpses of decent blocking and some tackling last year and his distribution is pretty good, could happily sit in front of a back 4/3 if needed. His one major flaw though is heading, it stops him being able to defend set peices and that cost us probably between 5 and 10 goals last season I would guess.

His jump and heading reach is not good at all and that needs work. His block tackling has improved 100% this last season but if he can defend corners/set peices that would turn him from a decent defender into a very good one. With a big stopper CB alongside him could work well, not sure Broadbent is that type of CB but Nelson certainly is.

Hopefully Conroy signs for another couple of years he could be a huge asset with a little work.

When you can't do the heading, you need to compensate by sticking your body into the attacker to unbalance him, doesn't always work, but might help reduce te concessions nearer the 5 than 10, which is way too many.

Is Nelson realistic?  What with now Conroy, Broadbent, and Curran, would be good to have 4 vying for 2 spots.
Panda Paws

« Reply #30621 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 09:22:32 »

When you can't do the heading, you need to compensate by sticking your body into the attacker to unbalance him, doesn't always work, but might help reduce te concessions nearer the 5 than 10, which is way too many.

Is Nelson realistic?  What with now Conroy, Broadbent, and Curran, would be good to have 4 vying for 2 spots.

You forget Romanski.

I still expect us to sign one more CB, even if Dion does sign, allowing Romanski to go out on loan for the season in the NL. Nelson could be realistic. If he goes to L2, we should be favourites but he's being linked with L1 clubs at the moment, the other STFC most recently.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #30622 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 09:25:29 »

I think Nelson is realistic yes, Wellens said he is looking for another CB as he wants at least 3 challenging, Curran is not going to be a 1st teamer yet so that basically leaves Broadbent and maybe Conroy if he does sign, Romanski and Curran will be fringe players at best this coming season.

As for Nelson being a true option, I think that depends on how well he got on with Swindon/Wellens as Tranmere and Shrewsbury are both after him and with both being a division higher that could give both the edge over us.

If Nelson is not possible then I hope we will go for another slightly (but not old) more experienced CB of 24+ and with a fair amount of games under his belt not a young loanee.

Waffle

Ignore
« Reply #30623 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 10:36:12 »

Talking of defenders, what about Woolf? I think his contract ends this at the end of the month, knows the club and manager, probably cheaper and made a good pairing with Conroy?
reeves4england

We'll never die!

Ignore
« Reply #30624 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 10:40:35 »

Talking of defenders, what about Woolf? I think his contract ends this at the end of the month, knows the club and manager, probably cheaper and made a good pairing with Conroy?
After Ipswich got relegated (and comprehensively so) I imagine he'll be part of their plans, even if as a fringe player.
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #30625 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 10:41:01 »

He signed a new contract in February until 2022. Imagine he will be a regular for Ipswich this season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #30626 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 10:44:48 »

He signed a new contract in February until 2022. Imagine he will be a regular for Ipswich this season.

Yep... Woolf was one of those good loans, we get a decent player cheap, Ipswich get to benefit from his improvement. Woolf, gets to benefit from their relegation and move forward his career at a decent pace.
Waffle

Ignore
« Reply #30627 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 10:55:19 »

Ah missed that, was looking at Transfermark when I wrote that.
Power to people

Ignore
« Reply #30628 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 11:52:31 »

Perhaps the Knoyle contract situation spooked Dion!?

Smiley

Reading that article it suggest a contract had been agreed with Knoyle - it is odd nothing is being said about him though ?
Peter Venkman

« Reply #30629 on: Wednesday, June 5, 2019, 11:58:11 »

Reading that article it suggest a contract had been agreed with Knoyle - it is odd nothing is being said about him though ?
Yes very odd wording, as if the deal was agreed but then Knoyle hasn't actually signed it yet.

Pages: 1 ... 2039 2040 2041 [2042] 2043 2044 2045 ... 3977   Go Up
Print
Jump to: