Pages: 1 ... 1994 1995 1996 [1997] 1998 1999 2000 ... 3964   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: STFC Transfer Rumours  (Read 8869330 times)
Peter Venkman
We don't need no stinking badges.

Back Off Man, I’m A Scientist.

« Reply #29940 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 12:24:08 »

Did I miss something wit Koiki? Didn’t realise we had him next season to.
Wellens said if the loan goes well then we will have him for the whole of next season when he signed.

Only a fool does not know when to hold his tongue.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #29941 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 12:27:39 »

A couple of little bits on Theo from the Shrimpers forum..

Theo works hard and I loved him for it but at this time not a league one player.

The question is how much are we still paying whilst he is at Swindon?

Theo would and often has made a great sub against tired legs.... I would have kept him. You wouldnt build a team round him or rely on him goals but he could do a job.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #29942 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 12:51:43 »

Building  Hmmm

In that side you've got Broadbent, who looks a tidy acquisition, Curran who's a kid playing at centre half, Koiki who may or may not sign for a further loan, and McGilp to come in who we know nothing about.

I don't see that as particularly a long term strategy, more like when TT signed Conroy and Starkey as sort of punts.

Building is a bit more than acquiring a pile of bricks and chucking them together.... however I'm not sure that in today's Div 4, you can ever do much different, so it's a case of let's see.

Building - how does it compare to one year ago?  I'd hazard a guess the confirmed hangovers is a better state than one year ago.  Also, the Aussie lad seems likely closer than Curran based on the reporting.  Will be interesting to see if this is the beginning of Clem's influence to bring more players over.
Flashheart

« Reply #29943 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 13:04:02 »

Will be interesting to see if this is the beginning of Clem's influence to bring more players over.

Could be good if he can find the right players. Access to a talent pool that not many other clubs at our level will have. I doubt your Oldhams and Lincolns have scouts in that part of the world.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29944 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 13:06:06 »

Building - how does it compare to one year ago?  I'd hazard a guess the confirmed hangovers is a better state than one year ago.  Also, the Aussie lad seems likely closer than Curran based on the reporting.  Will be interesting to see if this is the beginning of Clem's influence to bring more players over.

Flitcroft got in Keshi (from loan) in the window.... previously in the summer he'd got in Kaiyne and Kyle, as young prospects, the rest journeymen who had us on the edge of autos, so the Jan window was mostly Banks and Richards both of whom did OK.

McGilp you'd imagine is Clem's boy from what he said.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #29945 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 13:10:29 »

McGilp to come in who we know nothing about.

I found a few articles on him from a year or so ago...

Brum fans on their forum say the club are desperate to get extra money in and have expressed that they hope they have a large sell on clause in the deal as they think hes very talented and wasn't too far from a first team spot.

Former Melbourne Victory midfielder Cameron McGilp has signed for English Championship club Birmingham City.

McGilp has agreed to terms with City after trialing for the club.

The 20-year-old was released by Melbourne Victory in May.

Able to play in central defence or midfield, McGilp came through Victory's youth system.

Born in Glasgow, he made just one A-League appearance and one Asian Champions League appearance last season.

Former Melbourne Victory youngster Cameron McGilp has signed to play with English Championship side Birmingham City, the club has confirmed.

The 20-year-old had been trialling with the Blues since his release from Melbourne Victory at the end of the Hyundai A-League 2017/18 Season.

McGilp, who can also play in central defence, played a couple of games for Birmingham’s U23’s side, proving an assist in a 2-1 win over Leamington last month.

He also played the full game for the Blues’ U23s on Sunday, as they started their season with a 3-1 victory over Watford.

And the Scottish-born playmaker obviously did enough to impress Birmingham coaches Richard Beale and Paul Robinson, who have offered him a deal to play with the club’s youth team.

McGilp has been with Victory since 2015 and made just one senior appearance for the club, coming against Shanghai SIPG in the final group match of the AFC Champions League earlier this year.

Cameron is an industrious and energetic midfielder who can also fill in at centre-back if required.

The 20-year-old spent much of his youth career with Melbourne Victory and signed a professional contract with them back in 2017.

After moving back to Britain, Birmingham offered the youngster a short-term professional contract. He joins the club after featuring regularly for the under-23s appearing 17 times, and scoring three goals.

Upon joining, McGilp said: “When Swindon came in, they’re a big club so I didn’t have any hesitation to come down. Massimo Luongo was here a couple of years ago so I knew a bit about the club just from following him from back in Australia.

“My dad and mum are from Reading so know about the club and said it was a good place to be. I’ve been really impressed with the stadium and the facilities.”

Cameron McGilp won the Melbourne Victory Youth Medal (best youth player) in 2016-17
(The Victory Medal – the club's equivalent of a best and fairest – is the highest individual honour available to Victory players.)

Melbourne Victory is excited to announce it has secured three of the brightest footballing prospects in Victoria.

Youth products Pierce Waring, Josh Hope and Cameron McGilp have all been promoted to A-League contracts.

Waring, a striker, has been in the Melbourne Victory set-up since 2015 when he first stepped out in the National Youth League (NYL), and most recently scored 10 goals for the club in Victoria's NPL2 competition.

Waring was also a member of Australia's squad at the Under 17's World Cup in 2015 and will provide another attacking option during the upcoming 2017/18 campaign.

Hope came to Melbourne Victory via the AIS in 2016 and was an impressive member of the club's NYL and NPL squads last season.

The 19-year-old forward made two senior Melbourne Victory appearances, both as a substitute, in this year’s FFA Cup and displayed enough promise to be rewarded with a senior contract.

Central midfielder McGilp made his A-League debut as a substitute in last season's Round 24 clash with Brisbane Roar, and has been a mainstay of Victory's youth system over the past two years.

The teenager will have the opportunity to further hone his craft alongside the experienced quartet of Carl Valeri, Mark Milligan, Leigh Broxham and Matias Sanchez.

Melbourne Victory head coach Kevin Muscat has been impressed with how well the three youngsters have progressed through the club's youth system.

"We, as a club, put a lot of effort into developing young Victorian talent and those three boys thoroughly deserve their places in the squad," said Muscat.

"We've monitored them closely for a fair while now and they're all showing great promise as footballers.

"There's no doubt that moving into the senior ranks will be a big step for them, but we have an experienced change-room and they're in safe hands as they begin their journey as professionals.”

Stay tuned to melbournevictory.com.au over the next three days as we get to know Pierce Waring, Josh Hope and Cameron McGilp

As one of the youngest midfielders in the Melbourne Victory squad, Cameron McGilp is looking to those around him to learn.

In Carl Valeri and Mark Milligan, McGilp has two of the best mentors he could hope for as he starts his Victory career.

“Carl has been really helpful to me ever since I first came in for my first session,” McGilp explained.

“He pulled me aside and helped me out with a few things, and Millsy has been helping me out as well since he came back.

“They’re the two guys that I look up to to learn from.

“Being one of the younger boys, (the squad) obviously give it to you a bit but it’s all in good fun and they’re all great blokes.”

The lessons learned from the likes of Valeri, Milligan and company held McGilp in good stead during his pre-season appearances against NPL outfits.

“Playing with the more experienced boys, they really helped me get through those games and towards the end we were able to get over the top of them.

“You know you have to play quick because they’re men with bigger bodies, so if they get near you they’re probably going to knock you off the ball.”

Victory’s new number 15 is another product of the club’s youth system. Before graduating to the senior setup, McGilp had worked through the junior levels.

“I joined the youth team a couple of years ago out of the NTC,” McGilp said.

“I came through the state teams and then I was with the state teams for the last couple of years.

“I played seniors for the first time this time in 2016 in the NPL senior team, and then started training with the first team a little bit.”

McGilp made his A-League debut in March 2017 against Brisbane, making a cameo appearance off the bench at Suncorp Stadium.

The 19-year-old has been training with the senior team almost ever since, and has the backing of Kevin Muscat.

“Speaking to the boss, he was telling me to work hard during the season,” McGilp explained.

“So I put my head down, worked as hard as I could and tried to do well when my opportunities came along.

“A couple of weeks ago he pulled me aside and told me that I was getting offered something.”

As a central midfielder, McGilp’s confidence in his game stems from knowing his strengths.

“I’m more of a passer than a dribbler, I try to think quickly. I look to get other people involved and link up the play.”

Melbourne Victory have signed three teenagers to their A-League squad for the upcoming season.

Pierce Waring, Josh Hope and Cameron McGilp have all been promoted to the first team for 2017/18.

Waring, 18, is an attacking player and scored 10 goals for Victory in their NPL2 season in 2017.

Hope, 19, came to the club via the AIS and is another attacking option for Victory coach Kevin Muscat.

He has already made two senior appearances for the club, both in the FFA Cup as a substitute this season.

McGilp, 19, is the only one of the three with A-League experience, after making his debut for Victory in an away clash with Brisbane Roar last season.

He adds depth in the midfield, alongside Mark Milligan, Carl Valeri, Leigh Broxham and Matias Sanchez.

Muscat said: "We, as a club, put a lot of effort into developing young Victorian talent and those three boys thoroughly deserve their places in the squad.

"We've monitored them closely for a fair while now and they're all showing great promise as footballers.

"There's no doubt that moving into the senior ranks will be a big step for them, but we have an experienced change-room and they're in safe hands as they begin their journey as professionals.”

Victory's squad sits at 21 players with just over two weeks until the A-League season begins.

RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #29946 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 13:14:08 »

Flitcroft got in Keshi (from loan) in the window.... previously in the summer he'd got in Kaiyne and Kyle, as young prospects, the rest journeymen who had us on the edge of autos, so the Jan window was mostly Banks and Richards both of whom did OK.

McGilp you'd imagine is Clem's boy from what he said.

Banks wasn't for the next season though, and I seem to remember a lot of players being out of contract by the end of the season.  Richards was a decent signing, but not really building - it was always a punt he'd have it in him for this season.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29947 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 13:22:51 »

Banks wasn't for the next season though, and I seem to remember a lot of players being out of contract by the end of the season.  Richards was a decent signing, but not really building - it was always a punt he'd have it in him for this season.

No because Flitcroft had done his building in the summer, and was looking for a bit extra for the run in.

I'm really not sure you can do building as such in Div 4 these days, beyond getting a few youngsters and hoping for the best.

PV, Mark Robertson was an Aussie who could so say play midfield or central defence, he had come through Aussie football, and even got a cap around the time he played for us 2001, he was shite.  Danny Invincibile, was much more fun.  The talk about free spirits the other day..... he was one
@mwooly63

Ignore
« Reply #29948 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 13:27:25 »

If the call went out fro fans with shovels PdC style.... not sure anyone would bother.

The call has gone out, volunteers from 2.30
Quagmire

Ignore
« Reply #29949 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 17:16:08 »

Looks like the Richards rumour was true - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47095323
RobertT

Ignore
« Reply #29950 on: Friday, February 1, 2019, 17:26:31 »

No because Flitcroft had done his building in the summer, and was looking for a bit extra for the run in.

I'm really not sure you can do building as such in Div 4 these days, beyond getting a few youngsters and hoping for the best.

I wasn't debating the merits of building, you answered the point about building by suggesting it wasn't, and that the team by the end of the season would still be patchy.  I was simply suggesting the signings being made could be see as building the squad from where Wellens has inherited it.  The team you list is better, potentially, then an XI he could have had withouth making some of the signings.  The loans are the ones for this season - but even there a couple look like potential signings in the summer.

Should a team be building in January - ideally not.  It's why most of the big clubs only get involved in panic signings.
Reg Smeeton
Walking Encyclopaedia

Ignore
« Reply #29951 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 01:17:00 »

I wasn't debating the merits of building, you answered the point about building by suggesting it wasn't, and that the team by the end of the season would still be patchy.  I was simply suggesting the signings being made could be see as building the squad from where Wellens has inherited it.  The team you list is better, potentially, then an XI he could have had withouth making some of the signings.  The loans are the ones for this season - but even there a couple look like potential signings in the summer.

Should a team be building in January - ideally not.  It's why most of the big clubs only get involved in panic signings.

It's axiomatic that you will sign players.... Power likes to keep it to a minimum number of our own players, then hope for the best.  It hasn't proved a reliable model. It almost worked when we got some talent due to the TT Spurs connection, but has failed since.

Wellens rightly points out the flaws with loan dependency, but then fills up the squad with 6.... why wouldn't you?  He needs to win some home games, so it's short termism
Dr Pierre Chang
ITK Curran lover

Ignore
« Reply #29952 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 14:51:37 »

As others have said I am pleased we signed a proven goalscorer, even if hes not set the world alight in the last few years but he has not played as low as L2 since he was 22.

He turned down a move to Colchester apparently, a team higher in the table than us and also turned down a move to Lincoln last season.

Yes he has only scored 1 in 5 games he plays but hes a very different style of striker to anything we have at the club, hes a goal poacher paid to sit in the box and convert chances, we have created loads of chances this seaosn and had nobody on the end of them.

The quandry is who to drop of the 6 loanees as we now have Woolf, Koiki, Carroll, House, Bennett and Theo.

I too am surprised nobody else left us though to ease any pressing on the budget.

I am quite pleased though with the 9 signings this window.
Agree with your general thoughts however I believe Robinson was playing non-league football as recently as 2017.
Peter Venkman

« Reply #29953 on: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 14:55:39 »

Agree with your general thoughts however I believe Robinson was playing non-league football as recently as 2017.
Ah I missed his loan. at Lincoln

The Artist Formerly Known as Audrey

?Absolute Calamity!?

Ignore
« Reply #29954 on: Tuesday, April 30, 2019, 09:50:37 »

Early rumours.

Neal Bishop from Mansfield- although he’s likely to resign for them

And Ben Whitfield from Vale
Pages: 1 ... 1994 1995 1996 [1997] 1998 1999 2000 ... 3964   Go Up
Print
Jump to: